Mimo

Grocery Stores!

Nesf
2 hours ago, Alice said:

I have a list, use tally marks to count up the cost, often wear headphones and use-self checkout.

Lately Ive been having trouble because Ive gone at really busy times without thinking, OR the other major is when I pick up an item not on my list that I want - it throws me off, what I thought it would add up to, and I get really overwhelmed, forget to tally, forget items, make eye contact. I nearly threw my stuff down and left, or just end up walking in circles around aisles a few extra times because I dont know what to do. Obviously I could do anything but its like my brain shuts down and refuses to be reasonable. The supermarket people im sure think im strange - a lot of them smirk at me when they see me.

Im going to take peoples advice and go first thing in the morning.

This happens to me, too - something will throw me, or I have to decide something and I suddenly feel very anxious and my brain just shuts down, I go round in circles and can't focus, or just stare for ages, it's a kind of daze, and then I don't get all the things I need. It can happen at home, too. Yesterday, I couldn't find the mug I use, and I have to have this specific mug, I don't want to use another one. At the same time, something else happened that cause me to become anxious, and I started to look for my mug and couldn't focus, so I went from room to room in circles, looking in the same room about 4 times and still not finding my mug. Eventually I did find it, though, when I got my focus back.

2 hours ago, Alice said:

I also bring my own bag, or pile everything into one plastic bag - the bag thing annoys me too @Pinky and his brain

I do this. too.

Edited by Nesf

Alice

@Nesf That makes me feel unbelievably better.  
I actually wish I saw/noticed someone else doing this in the supermarket, it would make me feel so damn happy to not be the only one in the whole place that struggles with the environment. Its actually really frustrating especially in public, im like a CD skipping. Even if you are well prepared and take responsibility for yourself, theres still a good chance it can go that way. Its so good on a week where it all goes so smoothly, feels like I conquered everest and want to high-five the sky.

I can relate to that, that really reminds me of me at the supermarket (or if I cant find something 'right' to wear). The disorientation, anxiety, confusion and no focus.

I have 5 different mugs that are just different kinds. If I cant find the one I want or if I think for even a second someone else has used it (or worse, used it and left contents in it/not returned it), it is so not good- just intensely agitating and stressful (I usually end up just finding it though, and then it seems rather unimportant). But in that moment my whole body screams how important it is. Cups are personal, you drink out of them (obviously), ingestion is a little weird full stop - might as well make it nicer with a nice cup :) My rational mind says get over it, its just a cup but everybody has different preferences for different reasons, mine dont always appear reasonable but they are just as valid. 

Im always very particular about what kinds of cups or mugs I use even when at someone elses home. If I dont like the the mug - I dont want to drink out of it (why would I?). 

Its pretty uncomfortable to say a lot of this 'out loud', Im a really rational person so its hard for me to accept these things, I try really hard to manage, minimise, and logically counteract any reaction I have, but this is just the way my body reacts and not everything can be hidden indefinitely, even if it can, I still know what is hard for me and what happens in my experience even if I am proud of how well I handle it, so its good to just say it, its challenging but its a relief

Mimo

It's not just me?? I mean don't touch/move/loose my favorite pens (if it's one I use it's a favorite) and yes I will scream if I can't find a favorite article of clothing or if the dryer "eats my favorite socks". I'm not always very organized and in fact can often be extremely absent minded. I almost always have a few areas of organized chaos lying around but since I usually know where everything is it can be so infuriating when I can't find something.. It feels so hugely important in the moment and then I feel so extremely stupid afterwards. Makes no sense.

Nesf

@Alice I also have a thing about the contents of the mug being filled right up to the brim, even though I know that I'm going to spill them. If someone hands me a half-filled mug of coffee, I immediately go and add more water to fill it up.

Alice

@Mimo Its not just you. Im very organised but still very absent minded, and yes I get so explosive-feeling if I loose something or my things are interfered with. 

@Nesf I havnt heard/thought of that before

I write a lot of lists and and frequently reorganise/tidy to counteract being absent-minded, doesnt always help - like being in a store, I pretty much have to chant what I need continuously in my head because as soon as I look up from my list its gone with all thats going on around me. Or if I go to a cafe or restaurant I like to look at the menu online or read reviews so I know what to expect and what is good to order. Some have photos that show the general layout - I really feel like it helps with general orientation in a new place. I like trying new things but I like to make it easier, and remove as many unknown things as possible so I can enjoy the experience. 
--Zomato is a great App for this!

Nesf
3 minutes ago, Alice said:

@Mimo Its not just you. Im very organised but still very absent minded, and yes I get so explosive-feeling if I loose something or my things are interfered with. 

@Nesf I havnt heard/thought of that before

I write a lot of lists and and frequently reorganise/tidy to counteract being absent-minded, doesnt always help - like being in a store, I pretty much have to chant what I need continuously in my head because as soon as I look up from my list its gone with all thats going on around me. Or if I go to a cafe or restaurant I like to look at the menu online or read reviews so I know what to expect and what is good to order. Some have photos that show the general layout - I really feel like it helps with general orientation in a new place. I like trying new things but I like to make it easier, and remove as many unknown things as possible so I can enjoy the experience. 
--Zomato is a great App for this!

I repeat things that I need from the grocery store or things I need to do at home out loud to myself in order to remember to do them, to stay focused and not get distracted.

Google Street View is very useful if you want to visit a new place.

Little Guy
17 hours ago, Alice said:

I saw/noticed someone else doing this in the supermarket

You don't see them because they/we are trying our best not to be noticed!:lol:

Gone away
8 hours ago, Alice said:

I pretty much have to chant what I need continuously in my head because as soon as I look up from my list its gone with all thats going on around me.

I used to do that before reading some Tony Buzan books

Have you ever looked into the simple basic mnemonic systems like number rhyme or number shape? ... a lot of stress magically dissipates once used and the problem you highlight ceases to exist.

I used to think these simple systems turned the rat race into and egg and spoon race :)

Nesf

@Going home What do you mean "turned the rat race into an egg and spoon race"?