mary

Food

mary

Ok, I had a bit of a search and couldn't find anything so I apologise if this has been brought up before and I've not seen it.

I know that for certain people there can be many issues with regards to food... textures, types, amount, timings etc.  I believe this to be quite normal for people with ASD.

So, who here has an issue with food in particular?

I have a real problem with certain textures and can't really stand eating cold and hot food together, I'd rather let the hot part go cold and eat it then.  I also have a problem with eating after a certain time... usually around 6.30.  When I was younger we always had dinner at 5pm as my grandfather was a stickler for it and dinner HAD to be on the table then (he'd been in the Navy and lived with us (and my grandmother) for 7 years).

After my nan and grandad left our house we continued eating our dinner at 5pm as it had become so 'normal'.  Not I could never dream of eating at 8pm or something like that.

I cannot eat spicy food, as in curry or similar, but I LOVE black pepper and have loads of it on anything appropriate.  I have also come to like crushed chili flakes on pizza and stuff.

With textures I can't eat things like cous cous (although I am going to try and fix that!), or many cooked vegetables.  I'd rather have them raw than eat them cooked due to their strange texture once cooked.  There's also stuff like tapioca which I just can't get my head around eating!

I am also terrible in the sense that I could eat the same dinner for weeks / months on end.  In fact, at one point I had a baked potato with onion, mushroom, cheese and baked beans for about a month straight, give or take a couple of days.  I really have no problem with the thought of the same meal forever actually.

So anyone else have any problems with food?

And, on the flip side, what is your favourite meal!?

I think my favourite would be a nice home made stir fry of veg with some egg fried rice with onion.  Too bad it takes so long to chop the veg up!

Nesf

I'm a bit fussy about food too. First of all, I also have a thing about eating at precise times of the day. lunch at one, and dinner at 8. (I go to bed somewhat later in Greece). I hate eating late. I don't like certain foods because of the smell or texture. I hate eggs because of the smell, but egg fried rice is ok because I can't smell it. I don't really like meat that much, I don't like the texture  but can tolerate some meats, and when I do eat it I cut off all the fatty bits. I won't touch liver or any offal because of the texture. Really I prefer a vegetarian diet. And I don't like lemon flavoured things because I don't like the taste or smell.

I also eat the same things all the time and don't have much variation. I did this more when I was younger. Now I tend to cook large quantities of the same thing and eat it over three or four days.

However I like curries and spicy food. I think I must be hyposenstive to taste as i've always gone for strong flavoured foods.

mary
I also eat the same things all the time and don't have much variation. I did this more when I was younger. Now I tend to cook large quantities of the same thing and eat it over three or four days.

I do that a lot... pasta, stir fry, rice. 

I forgot about meat... I absolutely hate the texture of meat so I don't eat it.  I eat battered fish fingers and sometimes I'll eat battered fish if I'm out for a meal, but only if it's well cooked... I can't stand fish that feels all weird and slimy.

Meat I've never been a fan of, but as I got older the texture used to really bug me.  That's why I prefer a vegetarian diet, rather than having moral issues with eating meat.  I also don't like meat substitutes, as obviously the texture is somewhat similar.

Nesf
I do that a lot... pasta, stir fry, rice. 

I forgot about meat... I absolutely hate the texture of meat so I don't eat it.  I eat battered fish fingers and sometimes I'll eat battered fish if I'm out for a meal, but only if it's well cooked... I can't stand fish that feels all weird and slimy.

Meat I've never been a fan of, but as I got older the texture used to really bug me.  That's why I prefer a vegetarian diet, rather than having moral issues with eating meat.  I also don't like meat substitutes, as obviously the texture is somewhat similar.

At least meat substitutes don't have the fatty grisly or sinuey bits... because that's what gets to me about meat. I really love fish fingers and breaded fish and eat them a lot. It's one of my staple foods. Chicken is ok too, I had chicken this evening.

iggy

I think I'm quite good with food really. There are only a few foods, relatively, which I won't eat, and would rather go hungry. (beans!) I do eat in sections, and I can't eat hot and cold, for example a pudding with ice cream.

My house simply doesn't allow for consistent eating times though, dinner can be anytime from 6:30 to 10pm, but there isn't much I can do about that when most of the time I don't know what I should be cooking if everyone is going to be late. I can eat some spice, but not a very spicy food.

I don't like some textures, such as vegetables which are mushy, and I cannot eat them, but if they are under/properly cooked, then it is fine. Also a lot of veg, eg cauliflower are nice with cheese sauce but terrible alone! I don't have a very good tolerance for unhealthy food, so although I do enjoy fish and chips or a super sweet pudding, I often get ill (although not every time, and not always the same food) really though, food isn't a huge problem for me.

Sometimes I forget to eat, particularly when I'm home all day.

My favourite meal.... Probably my mums pasta with peppers and a tomato and Philadelphia sauce :)

Sofi

I am known as a really fussy eater and I always have been. I'm really paranoid about food and how it has been prepared

Six days out of a seven day week, I eat macaroni cheese. Either a ready meal of it from certain supermarkets, or homemade by my Mum. She makes a lot of it! I like how it is plain and it is all the same colour and it's just one flavour throughout the whole meal. I don't like several different things on a plate. 

Other things I like are vegetable lasagne, raw vegetables, hummus, pitta breads.

I love chocolate and cakes and sweets  :D

I like to eat at the same time each day but it's not something I am completely rigid about. I'll cope. I often just eat when I am given my food since I am not  exactly to prepare my own hot food. I guess I am in a bad 

I don't know if this is relevant  but I have never been good at identifying the feeling of being hungry. I seem to just start to getting irritated and panicked, then I realise I must not have ate  for a while. Same with feeling hot. 

I also don't eat meat because I hate the texture of it. It really makes me shudder to think of the texture. I don't like meat substitutes either for the same reason. Fish is okay and I eat it occasionally but I am paranoid about bones.

Xmas

I don't eat meat, poultry or fish. I gave up eating meat 21 or 22 years ago. I initially gave it up because like others here I could not stand the texture and all the bits of fat and gristle. Also at that time I gave up eating poultry, fish and anything that contained meat derivatives. At first I did not do it for moral reasons, all that came later.

I don't like the texture of cooked mushrooms and I am not keen on eating aubergine or courgette either, though the last two I can eat at a push but forget the mushrooms.

I have some problems with cheese depending on texture and strength, if I am eating a cheese dish I prefer to prepare it myself.

I do not like strong smells of cooking and many a time I have been unable to eat at a restaurant because of this.

Although I prefer to eat around 12-1 during the day and between 6-7 in the evening, when I am in work it is not always possible. I also do not like people talking to me when I am eating - and this can sometimes cause a problem in work.

My favourite food has to be home-made soup. I make about four or five different types but nothing too fancy. I also like home-made vegetable curry with basmati rice.

Other than that I am easy to please haha!

Toran

I used to have a problem with fagots when I was younger they used to make one side of my face tingle it was horrible. I also hated mash patatoe I still do really its just the texture. I dont like patatoe but love shepperds pie its odd its like I dont know why and cant work it out drives me crazy at times.

Peridot
And, on the flip side, what is your favourite meal!?

I think my favourite would be a nice home made stir fry of veg with some egg fried rice with onion.  Too bad it takes so long to chop the veg up!

Right now I think it's pasta with tomato sauce and mozzarella. It's so smooth and tasty... But my favorite meal changes from time to time. A long time it was noodles with vegetables, tofu, coconut milk and lime. :lol: 

Nesf

My favourite food is chicken jalfrezi curry with basmati rice :) I like all vegetables as long as they don't have oil or butter on them.