storm-petrel

Obsessions, job and ability to focus

Gone away

22 minutes ago, storm-petrel said:

Concluding it and actually doing it are not quite the same thing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know.

Its a combo of prudent preparation, careful living, anxiety control and trusting in the laws of nature / powers of the universe :)

In all seriousness though, speaking as someone who has seriously fallen foul of his own traits due to others dishonesty and their fear at my age related confidence, honesty, fearlessness (or stupidity?)  and in depth knowledge of a couple of areas  ... I must state  'Don't put all your eggs in one basket'.

I know your job is more than just a job.

My (ex) job (forget the money), though nowhere near ideal was very important to me from an angle of routine, self respect, task focussed interaction, serving a useful purpose etc.

I can't really put into words how much of my stability (anxiety related) was hanging on that job (even though I thought otherwise). But the thing is, an employer (whether for honourable or dishonourable, deliberately or accidentally) , can pull the plug on that part of your life in an instant. The effects can be emotionally devastating.

So, I wouldn't worry or over-intellectualise too much on giving your activities a 'pecking order' or defining them on a hobby scale.

As mentioned by others 'Go with the Flow' is ancient but still logical advice and all things being equal a healthy way to go about things, as life is fluid in nature.

2 hours ago, storm-petrel said:

go with the flow and indulge whatever takes my fancy at a particular time.

= recreation! Yah for recreation! :D