Sign in to follow this  
RiRi

I Think I'm an Introvert and an Aspie

RiRi

I've been meaning to post a response to @aspiesw's "Being Introverted vs Aspergers Syndrome" topic, but hadn't had the chance to. I can't reply on there anymore, so I thought I'd start a thread and now I think I've come up with some questions so a thread seems reasonable.

I used to think that introverts and people with Asperger's syndrome/people on the spectrum were different in the sense that people with Asperger's syndrome had a lot more difficulties such as sensory issues, hypo/hypersensitiveness, etc. But now I realize that a person with Asperger's syndrome can be an introvert, an extrovert, or something in between. I think introvert and extrovert are words to describe the personality of the person. I did a quick search to refresh my definitions of introvert and extrovert which are, in short, a person who recharges through spending time alone and a person who recharges by spending time with others, respectively. So I consider myself an introverted aspie. In real life, I've never really liked spending time with others, it's always been this way. It's always been puzzling to see others enjoy interacting with others, when personally, I've never really found it fulfilling.

What are your thoughts? Do you think it's possible to be an introvert and an aspie/autie (or an extrovert and aspie/autie, aspie/autie and something in between) at the same time? If so, which one do you think you are (an introvert, ambivert, or extrovert) aspie? I don't know much about the term, ambivert, but I think it means you fall somewhere in between introvert and extrovert, or that you are both.

Edited by Makelets

null

It's definitely possible to be an extraverted aspie. I've met quite a few of them in my time, especially people who clearly are aspie but don't know it. There a fair few famous aspies as well and although not all famous people are extraverted per se, I think you still have to have some degree of extraversion in your personality to become famous. Dan Ackroyd is a good example - he seems to be quite extraverted.

Personally, I'm somewhere in between (seems to be a common theme in my personality traits). I'm an introvert to most strangers (in person at least) but extraverted to people I'm really comfortable with. In fact, I normally don't shut up when I'm with people I'm totally comfortable with, although I will admit that there are few people I can say I have this level of comfort with 

Lefki

I will agree with @null. If you ask people who don't know me very well they will tell you I am definitely an extroverted but a snob, like "She must have 183635268193 friends and she doesn't want to hang out with us because we are not cool enough". But people who actually take time to know me will tell you that I am absolutely introverted. More introverted than the introverted people. A lonely person. But I am just such a good actor and I do have a lot of confidence especially when I am with other people who are less confident or afraid, because I like taking charge of thing and have the control. But this only lasts for a small amount of time. For example if I have to spend more than a few hours with a lot of people then I turn into a girl who sits in the darkest corner, not talking at all, sometimes my eyes look really tired and I start to feel physical pain from the struggle to stay there. 

I don't know other people with autism except for one lady I met online like you. So I can't be sure for nothing. But she says and I have read that there are different kinds of people with Asperger's (introverted, extroverted, both) just like NT people can be. And that sounds correct to me.... 

RiRi

Thank you for the responses. :)  @Lefki I agree. I think the same can be applied to NTs that they can be introverted, extroverted or both. 

thegingerone

I am definitely introvert (INTJ if anyone is interested - although on an unofficial test) and most likely an aspie.  I'd never considered the aspie/autie thing to be at all related to being an introvert/extrovert/ambivert because those are personality types and ASD is to do with how you think (if that makes sense).

Little Guy
8 hours ago, Makelets said:

a person who recharges through spending time alone and a person who recharges by spending time with others

I think @Makelets accurately describes the difference between introvert and extrovert and is unrelated to personality type as described by @AlzEilir. I am definitely an introverted aspie and yet I have a very active presence in my community. I can speak in public meetings, sit on boards of nonprofits and otherwise involve myself. And yet I can't wait to get home, and pull covers over my head, read a book or put on head phones and watch an opera on DVD. I hate social hours. I despise going out except with one or two close friends for a meal. I prefer hiking, waking & kayaking alone. If I do go kayaking with a group and they stop for lunch, I usually get out, eat a sandwich, and get back in and paddle around while they jibber jabber.

nikkiDT

I'm an introvert.  I'm a loner, mostly.  When I go out, it's rarely more than 3 hours at a time.  Then I go home and recharge my batteries.

storm-petrel

I'm not sure where I am on the introvert - extrovert scale. I've definitely never been very extroverted and most people seem to view me as really introverted. I have quite often been asked, "Are you what they call a loner?" I hate that question. It makes me sound like I'm weird and creepy, and will turn into a serial murderer at any moment.

Really though I have just spent a lifetime being unable to join in the sort of conversations most people are having, and being unable to make friends. I could never work out why I couldn't make friends as most other people seemed to manage it effortlessly and their interactions with each other just look so natural and comfortable. It wasn't from lack of trying. I've tried over and over again but have finally given up as it's just too stressful to keep trying and failing.

I can't go to parties or on work nights out because I can't stand the noise and general busyness of such environments. I can have a long conversation with one person if we have similar interests, but I never meet such people at parties and I just feel totally alone in any large group. So on the very rare occasions I go to parties I just end up sitting quietly in the corner somewhere, not talking to anyone, and hoping the whole experience soon comes to an end. Then I'll probably go home, have a meltdown and need to spend several days by myself recovering.

So I probably do look really introverted to most people but it's a bit more complicated than that. 

Little Guy
On 3/6/2016 at 1:24 AM, storm-petrel said:

a bit more complicated

Yes, quite a bit. Like being a kindergartner in a roomful of adults, except you are way smarter than most of them.:wacko:

Gone away

I'm a withdrawn introvert, a wallflower at social gatherings ... alcohol at rare late evening social events allows me to feel more comfortable, but I am still careful (while still bored) as I  can innocently say the wrong thing sometimes. Social settings generally  cause me stress and make me tired ...

I tend to believe that in life there is an optimum contact time for almost everything and everybody ... If this timespan is exceeded things go wrong, if contact is kept inside the timespan... every thing is fine. Trial and error shows me optimum timeframes. I also observe this phenomenon in others.

Interaction that is focused around solutions is easier

There are times when I feel confident and show it but, I think I say things which people don't understand or sometimes I just bore them by over talking.

Alot of people are quite accepting of the concept of neuro-diversity ... as long as you don't behave in a diverse way ... :lol: This illustrates the difference between theory and practice.