RiRi

Dislike Being Watched

RiRi

Does anyone have a problem with being watched? I don’t know if it’s an aspie trait, but in general, I’ve never really liked it when people watched what I was doing. For example, when I’m out and I have my phone out, I don’t like being on my phone because I feel like other people can see what I’m seeing on my phone and it just makes me feel uncomfortable. It's the same when my outside and I'm having my picture taken, I don't like it knowing that people are watching me. I don't know if it shows, but I try to pretend that it doesn't bother me that other people are watching, when it actually does bother me. If I have no idea that someone’s watching then I’d have no problem with it at all. Just knowing that there’s a possibility of people watching can make me anxious. Can anyone relate to this? Do you think disliking being watched can be an aspie trait?

No Longer Here

I don't like people looking over my shoulder while I work or watching how I am playing something on my bass when I am on stage.

I did have a female friend who is definitely ASD who shares a lot of the traits you mention. We used to go out for lunch together, but I wasn't allowed to look at or speak to her as she was eating food...

RiRi

@Andy R Wow. I've done that to people before, I've told them not to look at me while I'm eating. I feel bad afterward because I feel like people can't be themselves around me. It sucks. 

lifeis

yep I feel the same sometimes but you can't stop people looking at you. It doesn't make me angry just uncomfortable and far less now than it used to. Its sort of why I don't like too many pics of me online, I wish I didn't feel like that though but I'm a private person and I like to control the information I put out there. I like people to get to know me at my own pace.

storm-petrel

I find it extremely uncomfortable and difficult to deal with. If someone is watching me performing some task that I am normally good and competent at, I suddenly find I become far less competent at it than I normally am.

Nesf

I don't like people looking at me or watching me, either. I don't like it when I go into a shop and the owner is watching me, and I don't like people taking photos or videos of me. Especially the videos. I used to hate being observed while teaching, I really couldn't cope with it.

thegingerone

I also don't like being watched when I'm doing things.  I feel like people are judging me and it makes me feel very uncomfortable.

16 hours ago, Andy R said:

I did have a female friend who is definitely ASD who shares a lot of the traits you mention. We used to go out for lunch together, but I wasn't allowed to look at or speak to her as she was eating food...

This is actually a relatively common phobia type thing.  I can't remember what it is called, but I have a friend who was the same and would quite often skip meals in school because she didn't like people watching her eat.  She researched it because it was bothering her and that's how I know about it.

lifeis
12 hours ago, Nesf said:

I don't like people looking at me or watching me, either. I don't like it when I go into a shop and the owner is watching me, and I don't like people taking photos or videos of me. Especially the videos. I used to hate being observed while teaching, I really couldn't cope with it.

yes, I can't Stand that. I was waiting to meet some friends in town the other day and still had about an hour to kill. I didn't have time to go home, so I went in a few shops to look at things and pass some time. There were three shop assistants all chatting and laughing behind the counter and when I was asked if I needed help I said I was just browsing. But as time went on I felt more and more like they were wondering what I was doing. Anyway to cut a long story short I couldn't stand it anymore and went to the pub. Killed a bit more time than I planned and was late to meet my friends. Typical?

nikkiDT

I don't like people watching me.  It makes me feel paranoid for some reason.  I feel the same way about public speaking.  I've taken selfies to send to my dad a few times this year.  But I don't like people taking pictures of me too much or smiling 'on demand'.

RiRi

Yeah, I don't like people having pictures of me either. It makes me uncomfortable. Like it has been mentioned, it used to be much of a bigger issue when I was younger. I remember I used to not even like smiling in pictures.