Primeape

TV Drama series in the UK "The A Word"

lifeis
On 21 March 2016 at 7:27 PM, DebzMata08 said:

Im UK it depends on schools some just dont care if kids are struggling, so some are diagnosed late still unfortunetly :(

yeah them blocking everything thats copyright does suck, shame really cause theres shows they show in the US we dont see here that i like watching, hopefully if someone puts "The A Word" on youtube they will allow it cause it will help with awareness of Autism

proxy servers are something I would never suggest for this. Making your ip look like its coming from a different country is a very naughty way of getting past any location/copyright issues for free. Again don't go using this as a method to bypass any of these restrictions no matter how easy and free it is. Cough cough

RiRi

I'm going to start watching the show when I get the chance hence why I haven't read any spoilers. I think it'll be the first autism show I'll be seeing. Lets see how it goes. 

RiRi

I've finally just watched the first episode of the show last night. I've been really excited for this show. :) I liked the episode overall. I hadn't read the comments regarding it because I thought it had spoilers, I now see they didn't.

Coincidentally, I had been giving a lot of thought to what @Echo is discussing in her post. All of this time on the forum, I had been complaining about how I wish I would have gotten diagnosed sooner. While my thoughts regarding the situation are not yet conclusive, I can say that I'm glad I wasn't diagnosed as a kid. Like Echo, I think I would have achieved far far less than what I did. One of the main reasons why I'm currently depressed is because I used to do so much prior to the current stage of life that I'm in, where I'm finding myself doing nothing productive. Perhaps a diagnosis right at the beginning of university would have also been the best scenario for me. I think I would have understood myself more and learned to work around things, helped with interactions, accommodations, etc. I don't think I would have been better off diagnosed as a kid. People during the time I grew up probably knew a lot less about autism than what it is known now. Maybe people would have alienated me and treated me differently. Maybe I wouldn't have been given the same opportunities because I would have been labelled as something society as a whole yet does not understand. 

Tylermc

I wished there was a show just like that in Canada ?? 

But mostly on bbc Canada it's top gear or Mrs brown boys and 

the graham Norton show 

I wish I could watch this show ?

Asgardian

Really enjoying this series. It is refreshing that they have portrayed someone on the autistic spectrum who isn't severely autistic. In my experience, this is very rare for a dramatised portrayal of autism.

Furthermore, it is good the impact on the family is being shown. I can imagine that discovering your child/sibling/grandchild has autism (especially at a young age) would have a ripple effect on the whole family, and I feel this drama is doing a very good job of showing what that is like.

Gone away

Anyone been watching 'Employable me' ?

Episodes 1 and 2 are now on youtube and the last episode is tonight 9pm BBC2.

Its been following people effected by tourettes and people on the autistic spectrum seeking employment. Obviously stage managed for the programme to some degree, but interesting.

Asgardian
16 minutes ago, Going home said:

Anyone been watching 'Employable me' ?

Episodes 1 and 2 are now on youtube and the last episode is tonight 9pm BBC2.

Its been following people effected by tourettes and people on the autistic spectrum seeking employment. Obviously stage managed for the programme to some degree, but interesting.

I haven't watched it, but I have seen about it and I think it is a good idea. My only concern is whether the companies who hire the people in the programme will continue to support them once the cameras stop rolling. Hopefully that is just me being overly cynical :rolleyes:

Edited by StraightToThePoint

RiRi

@DebzMata08 Thank you for posting this thread. :) Had you never posted I don't think I would have ever known about this show, unless someone else had posted about it. I'm liking the show so far and I still half way through the second episode, but so far so good. :) One observation I have made is that the main character's childhood is a lot different than my childhood. I also assume it can be different than someone who's childhood was 20/40 years ago, a different time. It's kind of cool seeing a five year old listening to music. I didn't have that in my childhood. Although I guess people can be interested in different things were exposed to the same things. :) But at the end of the day I can still relate to this kid and the way he acts. :) 

Primeape

@Makelets your welcome :), i agree autism effects people differently in childhood and adulthood, yeah it is awesome seeing a 5 year old kid listening to different generations of music :), proves no music is too old for people of any age to listen to

i was really quiet when i was a kid hardly talked tbh just like the boy in the show :) 

i think most can relate to the boy in the show :) 

im really enjoying it too

No Longer Here

BTW @Makelets episode 3 aired in the UK last night