Primeape

TV Drama series in the UK "The A Word"

Nesf
1 hour ago, Going home said:

Anyone been watching 'Employable me' ?

Episodes 1 and 2 are now on youtube and the last episode is tonight 9pm BBC2.

Its been following people effected by tourettes and people on the autistic spectrum seeking employment. Obviously stage managed for the programme to some degree, but interesting.

I saw one episode of this, the one with the guy with Asperger's. Yes, it was very much staged and didn't seem authentic, and that annoyed me. it makes you wonder how much was genuine, and how much was staged. Though Tourettes tics obviously aren't staged.

1 hour ago, Makelets said:

@DebzMata08 Thank you for posting this thread. :) Had you never posted I don't think I would have ever known about this show, unless someone else had posted about it. I'm liking the show so far and I still half way through the second episode, but so far so good. :) One observation I have made is that the main character's childhood is a lot different than my childhood. I also assume it can be different than someone who's childhood was 20/40 years ago, a different time. It's kind of cool seeing a five year old listening to music. I didn't have that in my childhood. Although I guess people can be interested in different things were exposed to the same things. :) But at the end of the day I can still relate to this kid and the way he acts. :) 

I have seen one episode of this, the first one, and I can relate to the boy in some ways. I also love music. I didn't have headphones and mp3 player, but I was given a small transistor radio by my parents and I listened to that non-stop - it went everywhere with me. I also had a tape recorder and recorded songs to listen too. I also knew all the lyrics. I was also aloof and not very talkative, I didn't play with other children and I didn't always answer when someone spoke to me. I melted down quite a lot. But I could do jigsaw puzzles.

RiRi

Anyone know from where in the UK are the actors from "The a Word" from? Some of them seem like the have the English accent, but others seem more like Scottish? :lol: But I'm not very great with accents. I'm just curios if anyone knows? 

No Longer Here
30 minutes ago, Makelets said:

Anyone know from where in the UK are the actors from "The a Word" from? Some of them seem like the have the English accent, but others seem more like Scottish? :lol: But I'm not very great with accents. I'm just curios if anyone knows? 

It's based in the Lake District,  which is North West England.  The accent is quite similar to Manchester

Asgardian
3 minutes ago, Andy R said:

It's based in the Lake District,  which is North West England.  The accent is quite similar to Manchester

Funnily enough, Christopher Eccleston was in another drama called "Safe House" last year. That was also set in the Lake District, so he must either really like it there or be getting fed up of it by now :lol:

RiRi

Have you guys been keeping up with the show? When I saw Joe (I think that's his name) when I saw him having a meltdown, I just thought about how parents would deal with this kind of behavior of him breaking "trashing" the living room, for lack of a better description. I hope this isn't considered a spoiler. But I just thought to myself how would parents who know nothing about autism deal with this? Would they think the child is just being spoilt and perhaps punish/beat up the child? 

No Longer Here

We have watched the whole series. It was very good. It is funny in a way that I could feel what Joe was feeling and know what he was thinking and why. My Wife didn't know these things. So in effect we watched the same programme but on two completely different levels.

And in answer to your question @Makelets I would have been severely punished for such a meltdown. My generation had to learn to act as normal as possible as a coping and survival strategy.

Even now my parents are still pretty clueless about Asperger's/Autism 

Primeape

I watched the whole series too i thought it was good :) 

and if that was me trashing the living room like joe did i dont think my dad would of punished me cause he knew i was different bit he couldnt figure out what it was when i was 5 but he knew i struggled 

@Makelets what would your parents of done if you trashed the room like joe?

compared to other peoples parents i think my dad is pretty paitent when it comes it me

sorry @Andy R to hear your parents are still pretty clueless :(

RiRi

@DebzMata08 I think I would have probably gotten beat up had I trashed the living room like Joe did at 5 years old. Something I have noticed is that I don't know if it's because I don't remember it, but I remember having more severe meltdowns when I was 5 and under. And those memories are fading away. I think my caregivers at that time were more understanding of me. It's good that your dad was understanding and patient with you.  Has the series ended? Is it only 6 episodes? I was going to ask  @Andy yesterday, but decided against it. 

@Andy R I agree with Debz. That's unfortunate that your parents would have severely punished you for that kind of meltdown. It sucks your parents are still clueless about Asperger's/autism. I think some parents would still punish their child and see it as spoilt behavior in this generation as well. I was punished growing up as well, for ASD related issues and for doing things wrong which probably resulted in a vicious cycle of anxiety and worry of possibly doing things wrong again and again...

Nesf

I watched about 2 episodes of this, and I could relate to Joe but not to the other characters. I didn't like them at all. A lot of it seemed to be centered around the relationships the other characters have with each other, and I found it hard to follow and understand what was going on and it was often confusing, so I stopped watching it. I don't usually watch that kind of thing.

Edited by Nesf

Asgardian

I really enjoyed the whole series and I am hopeful it will get a second series.