Blu-RayDisc321

I dislike explaining things

Blu-RayDisc321

For example: A few years ago in school, the teacher asked me and perhaps a few others (I can't remember it very well) to do some things on www.mathletics.com.au. When I (eventually) completed the online tasks, I told her "I completed the online thingy that you told me to do". She asked me to be specific. I was confused. At this point, literally twenty minutes ago, she assigned me the task and now she is acting like she does not know what I'm referring to. I said "the online maths thingy that you assigned to me about twenty minutes ago, I completed it". She said "what thing?". I don't remember anything else from that time but I am confused as to why people need specific info to know what you are talking about... I was wondering, this hate of mine of explaining things, is it an Aspie trait? Has anybody else experienced this?? If you have, could you please comment below? 

Primeape

Some with aspergers can have difficulty explaining things, especially when we are forced to go into detail

the teacher shouldnt of pretended not to know what you were talking about since she was the one that set the task in the first place 

i hate explaining things sometimes too especially if its something that im forced to go into more detail about, it makes me have difficulty putting words together and then i cant say it outloud 

im like you i say to people at the day centre i attend "i done the thing you told me to" but they dont make me go into more detail cause they know what im talking about 

as for the teacher maybe you should say to her that you have difficulty explaining things when you are being forced to, or when its something thats difficult for you to explain :)

Blu-RayDisc321

@DebzMata08 thanks for the advice but I'm home schooled now so I don't need to tell her.

Nesf

I don't dislike explaining things, but I often have difficulty explaining things on the spot or under pressure, because a word I need doesn't come on cue and I just blank out, or because I can't get my thoughts ordered in my head before I speak. This happens particularly when I'm anxious. Somehow anxiety blocks or inhibits my cognitive thinking. Sometimes I just don't speak. If I need to explain things, I need to have time in advance to get my thoughts in order and rehearse it. I don't do well under pressure.

I'm not sure whether this is an aspie thing or not, because I think that many neurotypicals also have difficulty with 'chocking', not remembering words, going blank or not performing well under anxiety.

nikkiDT

I'm a classic over-explainer.  Apparently, I go into way too much detail.  I just want to be sure that people understand me.

No Longer Here
10 minutes ago, nikkiDT said:

I'm a classic over-explainer.  Apparently, I go into way too much detail.  I just want to be sure that people understand me.

Yep, same here. I never know how much detail to go into and usually end up saying too much

Gone away

Me too ... I can just go on and on and on and on .... often the person doesn't show me they are getting the message, hence the tendency to go on and on.

Another reason is I like to understand things from all angles, which mean there are more ways to explain. Also I understand in a very visual way which is hard  to explain / put across in words sometimes. I would be a rubbish teacher ... the students would run screaming with their ears on fire :D.

At the other extreme ... I sometimes just expect / assume people to understand everything I do,  and get frustrated or shocked that they don't understand things that I take for granted.

RiRi

I dislike explaining things sometimes because I dislike being questioned. When people ask me to go into more detail and explain more, it seems like they aren't believing what I'm saying, which in turn can be annoying. Sometimes I assume other people know what I'm talking about, when they don't, but I mostly do this subconsciously. I can make a comment about something I see, or observe, but the other person might not be on the same page. Sometimes I do try to explain what I'm talking about, but people still don't know what I'm referring to which can be frustrating, as well. When giving explanations, because of accuracy and honesty, I do sometimes give complex answers. When sometimes for some, the answer would be a simple "yes" or "no" or just a word. This can be annoying to some people.

Edited by Makelets

Nesf
13 hours ago, Going home said:

Me too ... I can just go on and on and on and on .... often the person doesn't show me they are getting the message, hence the tendency to go on and on.

Another reason is I like to understand things from all angles, which mean there are more ways to explain. Also I understand in a very visual way which is hard  to explain / put across in words sometimes. I would be a rubbish teacher ... the students would run screaming with their ears on fire :D.

At the other extreme ... I sometimes just expect / assume people to understand everything I do,  and get frustrated or shocked that they don't understand things that I take for granted.

Yes, I do this too, when the person doesn't show me that they are getting the message. I do tend to overexplain.

I'm a teacher, but I've learned how to explain the things I need to explain, like grammar rules or what words mean. Everything is well rehearsed. It's just another script that I have to learn, It gets better with practice.

Edited by Nesf