Tylermc

What are your faveorite autism documentaries

Nesf
19 hours ago, Aeolienne said:

Am I a fool, am I hopelessly naïve to be so resigned to fate that I assume I cannot move somewhere unless and until I land a job there first?

No, you are sensible. It's a really bad idea to move to a new place before you manage to find a job. Alan might have done it, but it was a huge gamble.

Aeolienne
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:06 AM, Nesf said:

No, you are sensible. It's a really bad idea to move to a new place before you manage to find a job. Alan might have done it, but it was a huge gamble.

And yet there was someone on the ASD-UK forum who was all set to move to Bristol(!) at the taxpayer's expense (or so it seemed) despite having no intentions of being in paid work for the forseeable future. Is there one rule for benefit claimants and another for the rest of us, I wonder?

"I want to move to Bristol"

Also see this article from Positive News, which appeared just after I'd moved to Skipton. Sod's law indeed!

Capital B

Aeolienne
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:35 PM, Aeolienne said:

I was intrigued by the case of Alan in the final episode of Employable Me's second series and the way he moved from Hertfordshire to the East Midlands before he'd even found a job. You see, at various times in my life I have cherished dreams of moving to a new area. When I was fresh out of university and living with my parents my desired location was as vague as anywhere outside of London. Nearly a decade later when I got fired by the Met Office, by which time I was a homeowner in Exeter, I sincerely hoped that my next job would be in Bristol. I have retained that attraction for Bristol ever since, especially when the city held the title of European Green Capital during 2015. However every time I thought of moving somewhere else I always told myself that I couldn't move anywhere without landing a job first, so ultimately I'd end up wherever the next job was.
Am I a fool, am I hopelessly naïve to be so resigned to fate that I assume I cannot move somewhere unless and until I land a job there first? What made Alan so confident that he could land a job in the East Midlands more easily than within reach of Hertfordshire? Funny how when the benefits cap was proposed there were howls of outrage at the injustice of moving poor people beyond the M25. It seemed to be a truth (almost) universally acknowledged that London is where the majority of jobs are. Yet during my five-year sojourn with my parents the only "work" I found in London were two disappointing special autism work placements. So what does that prove?

I met Alan in real life the day before yesterday and we are now friends on Facebook. However he is not at liberty to reveal how he funded his relocation from Herts to the East Midlands, other than that it was motivated by a desire to move out of his parental home. He did reveal that the second "job" he had in the programme, as an analyst with an energy consultancy (E.ON at their Annesley office near Sutton-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire), was a short-term placement organised as a PR exercise.

Sanctuary
On 7/15/2019 at 2:29 PM, Aeolienne said:

I met Alan in real life the day before yesterday and we are now friends on Facebook. However he is not at liberty to reveal how he funded his relocation from Herts to the East Midlands, other than that it was motivated by a desire to move out of his parental home. He did reveal that the second "job" he had in the programme, as an analyst with an energy consultancy (E.ON at their Annesley office near Sutton-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire), was a short-term placement organised as a PR exercise.

There are a lot of fascinating issues about "reality" documentaries in general, whether about autism or some other topic or activity. How the participants are selected is probably the most important as there are potentially a huge number who could fit the criteria. Some individuals may be asked but decline to take part or agree but then withdraw at an early point; others may be filmed but their experiences not included. There is likely to be far more material filmed than included so there is always the question of how representative are the segments we see on screen. There is a suspicion - justified or not - that the producers favour those who "come across well on television" or who have a "narrative" or "back-story" that fits a certain agenda or will appeal to viewers. In some cases the narrative or back-story may even be "adapted" to fit a version that makes for "better" television. Of course there is always the issue that those who are filmed may be very partial in terms of what they reveal about themselves and that some involved may see the programme as an opportunity to gain attention and often "good publicity" (or sometimes may feel even bad publicity gets them some sort of "fame").

As you mention employers and other organisations may see documentaries as a way in which they can promote their company and show how enlightened they are. Job opportunities and other "happy endings" may be not what they seem so a job may turn out to be temporary or on a trial basis, or it may be permanent but fall through or turn sour a short while later. Maybe this is where update documentaries may be more revealing, seeing what has happened a year or several years later and seeing which changes are fleeting or illusory and which are long-term or genuine.