Alice

Aspergers Films

Alice

Im not sure if there is already a post on films, im sure I saw one on documentaries but just for films here are a few:
The top 5 are my favorite, a couple are questionably in this category (but as there are many different shade of Aspergers/autism, and women on the spectrum are perhaps less well understood, I thought they were worth including)

Benx
Simple Simon
Mozart and the Whale
Somersault
A good dick
A Brilliant mind
Dakota Skye 
Palindromes
Adam
Rainman

Thumbsucker (ADHD)
Mommy (ADHD)

Films on being a bit different/outsider/introvert (not entirely relevant to all)
Amelie
Submarine
Diary of a teenage girl
Ghostworld
KPAX
Benny and Joon
Let the right one in (swedish, from memory - not the english remake)
Harold and Maude
The Quiet
The station agent
The imitation game
The tale of princess Kayuga
August Rush
The perks of being a wallflower
Wristcutters: a love story
Mary and Max
The wind rises (Japanese)
The boy and the world 

And.. Safety not guaranteed is my all time favorite film, so it gets added to the list regardless, and the main character would fit in the category above anyway.  It would be great to hear other peoples favorite films. Im really into films (plenty more films to recommend). I havent seen: Incredibly loud and extremely close, I hear its good. I have these yet to watch: Jane wants a boyfriend, silent things and white frog

Nesf

Incredibly loud and extremely close is good.

Also: Snow cake, The Black Balloon, After Thomas, Ocean Heaven.

Alice

Thank you, I havnt heard of any of these. I will check them out. I still hesitate on Incredibly Loud.. because it looks a bit depressing - Im not so good at watching those

L Lawliet

My Name is Kahn is my favourite! There's a bit in the middle where it gets really sad but then it's quite essential to the plot of the movie. It's a beautiful film <3

Incredibly Loud and Extremely Close is a fantastic film. One of the best representations of a kid with Aspergers I've ever seen.

Mercury Rising is a lovely film too, one of Bruce Willis' underrated films. Worth the watch.

That's my list of favourites :)

RiRi

There are a lot of them which I haven't seen. I've only seen Mary and Max and I think I'm half way through "My Name is Khan" it has been good so far. I think one worth mentioning is "Dear John" the main characters don't have Asperger's, but that film is what lead to all my research in autism as it was the first time I had heard that there was a mild version of it.

Nesf
8 hours ago, Makelets said:

There are a lot of them which I haven't seen. I've only seen Mary and Max and I think I'm half way through "My Name is Khan" it has been good so far. I think one worth mentioning is "Dear John" the main characters don't have Asperger's, but that film is what lead to all my research in autism as it was the first time I had heard that there was a mild version of it.

For me, it was "Mary and Max" that first lead to me to research Asperger's and then suspect that I may have it.

PandaPrincess

I've seen Mary and Max, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, and Mozart and the Whale.  

Alice

Just finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, It was well worth it, thank you @L Lawliet & @Nesf I wouldnt have watched it otherwise. 

2takuya

I don't do well with sad movies but I watched Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close anyways . . . it was definitely sad like I thought it would be. But definitely well worth the watch, an excellent movie!

2takuya

I'm in the middle of My Name is Khan now, it is an excellent movie thus far, unfortunately I don't know if I'll get through all of it in one sitting. An excellent movie thus far though!