RiRi

"Everything Happens for a Reason"

RiRi

What do you about when you hear the quote "everything happens for a reason"? Do you think everything happens for a reason? Why? Why not? 

Gone away

From a scientific angle everything does happen for a reason .... that  reason may have nothing to do with us though and not part of any mystical greater plan. sh*t happens...

RiRi

@Going home Thank you for your response. :) Can you explain further what it means? If I understood correctly, are you talking something along the lines of evolution, natural disasters, etc.?

Gone away
1 hour ago, Makelets said:

@Going home Thank you for your response. :) Can you explain further what it means? If I understood correctly, are you talking something along the lines of evolution, natural disasters, etc.?

For every effect in any arena there is a cause. Thats simple science, inescapable and also applicable to your interpretation above

However, sometimes when terrible things happen to a person in life, maybe they break a leg, get hit by a car, lose a job, become homeless, lose a relationship etc. - there's usually someone who philosophically and patronisingly  says ' everything happens for a reason'. I could seriously (in an imaginary world) thump that person.

I think the 'saying' is supposed to offer comfort and a higher level of spiritual understanding/acceptance implying the event will lead to better things ... I think it just phases a person, I'm not sure it offers comfort or is smart to say. I tend to find it insulting and patronising when its been said to me as its also vague, unspecific and neither diagnostic nor solution directed. 

Scenario:  A person gets hit by a car and is hospitalised with poor prognosis for regaining full mobility. Some person says 'everything happens for a reason'  ... OK, ... what reason??? ... THWACK

Edited by Going home

Nesf

I agree with @Going home, simple science, sure everything happens for a reason, cause and effect. I don't believe in the religious interpretation that some may have of this. I don't know how saying that "everything happens for a reason" is supposed to comfort them, or somehow make it better, because it doesn't. It doesn't change the final outcome, it doesn't change anything. Saying something like that after a car accident is a total no-brainer, in my opinion.

HP_Wuvcraft
On 5/9/2016 at 1:49 PM, Makelets said:

Life doesn't happen in a vacuum. There are constant factors informing why this or that goes on. Same concept as holding a conversation with someone.

I usually hear this phrase in a religious sense, and mostly always when bad stuff happens. It's a ridiculous cop-out.

RiRi

In my personal experience, I can't recall this phrase being used when something absolutely horrible happened, just when perhaps something didn't go the way you wanted, but it has been interesting to hear all of your responses. :)

RiRi

I also wouldn't understand this phrase being used when something absolutely horrible happened. I wouldn't understand how that offers comfort.

HP_Wuvcraft
26 minutes ago, Makelets said:

I also wouldn't understand this phrase being used when something absolutely horrible happened. I wouldn't understand how that offers comfort.

It's mainly used to justify. 

A caring, loving God would only do X for a good reason.