Sign in to follow this  
Mooncat

What's your favourite animal, and why?

Mooncat

Being a zoologist and animal lover, I'd be interested to hear about your favourite animals!

I personally find it hard to choose just one, so I'll give a few: alpaca, weedy sea dragon, heron, fox, wren.

Mimo

Peregrine Falcon. I fell in love with them when I read "My Side of the Mountain" in 5th grade. I still love that book and read it at least once a year (I still have my original copy!). They are incredible and fascinating animals. They can dive at speeds of over 200mph, and they are so beautiful!! We don't have many falcons where I live but we do have lots of Red Tailed Hawks. I've learned to differentiate between soaring hawks and vultures by the outline of the body and the way the light hits them. I get so excited when I see one! Once at a bird show a Peregrine Falcon flew over my head so close that the wind made my hair move. I got goosebumps all over! It was so cool!!

lifeis

I'm not sure if there my favorite animal as there's so many interesting and unique species on our planet but I do love watching big cats (lion's, tiger's, etc) on tv. I watched a great documentary about bio luminosity recently and it really opened my eyes to how fascinating all animals can be. Even the humble garden worm.

Alice

I dreamt about a deer last night. A doe and her baby. They would definitely be one of my favorites, if not my favorite. I also love domestic cats, wolves, red pandas, elephants, doves, racoons, badgers, koi, goats, crows, leopards, panthers.

That must be an amazing job @Mooncat

Alice

Deer are graceful, sensitive and beautiful. I guess I relate to their nature: very peaceful until disturbed, and very sensitive to being disturbed

Elephants are amazing. Strong, wise, grounded. Steady and peaceful, but also playful. Apparently some who have seen their parent be poached have recurrent nightmares, and they never forget a face they meet.

Wolves I relate to on many levels. Free, intelligent, strong, instinctual and solitary creatures (actually wolves are quite social but are depicted as loners so this doesn't stand up so well)

Each animal in the list has an aspect or characteristic I enjoy or a type of beauty I appreciate

Tylermc

My faveorite animal  has always been a gorillas  there has always been a  connection for me and gorlias I remember in school my in danger spices  project was on gorlias 

and I was sad  hearing about all the potching that happens too the gorillas 

and my second faveorite has always been  a ocra killer whale  and I believe that my sprit animal is a orca killer whale ?

Tylermc

And I love st Bernard's one day I would love one 

they would be a great companion for me and 

dogs realaxe me and calm me down 

??????❤️

Tylermc

Great question moon cat 

can I ask what zoo do you work at 

your job must be so much fun and 

very cool ?

Mooncat

I don't actually work at a zoo - zoologist means a scientist who studies animals, it's a branch of biology. I studied zoology as my undergraduate degree, but have been unable to get a job, and am currently studying for a masters in psychology, so I guess I am a zoologist in a loose sense of the word.

RiRi

@Mooncat That's really cool that your graduate degree is not related to your undergraduate degree. :)

My favorite animal.....I don't know. I like how Giraffes and Zebras look, but I don't know much about them. It's hard for me to pick a favorite. :D Maybe I'll post later once I think of one. :)