Sign in to follow this  
Gone away

Who watches TV with the sound off?

Gone away

Who watches TV with the sound off / mute on?

I used to do this years ago for company while doing other things (practicing guitar). Over time I found it really interesting watching the body language, eyes, gestures etc. Its interesting in newsy type debates and seems to show who believes their points of view and who pretends. I find that in a way it exposes peoples behaviour and especially their level of authenticity without the distraction of words.

I eventually stopped, as it spoilt the 'getting lost in the fantasy' aspect of movies as I was too aware of the acting and camera angles etc. I had intellectualised it to the point of spoiling the common entertainment value.

Anyway, I have found myself starting to do this again. My partner likes news type programmes. When she goes out I put the TV on mute ... just now watching some very disingenuous, slippery characters on a debate programme while noodling on guitar reminded me of how body language and facial expression perception improves when the words are absent. I also find it strangely calming and contributes to mental clarity.

Anyone else do this? .... Thoughts?

Edited by Going home

Primeape

I tend to turn it down to really low volume if im proper trying to concentrate on something

PandaPrincess

I don't turn the volume down any lower than I usually have it, but I do put on the subtitles even if I am watching a show in English because it helps me be able to catch what everyone is saying.  

Kuribo [old account]

Nope ... I just don't watch TV.

lifeis

only when I've got my headphones in. I like the background noise even when I'm doing something else. I get what you mean about the body language being interesting though, I've found that myself.

RiRi

TV on mute maybe not, since I don't watch TV either, but other stuff, probably. From stuff I watch using my computer, I can sometimes put it on mute when it's on commercials/advertisements while I do something else in another tab or something like that. I also tend to watch shows with subtitles on if that's possible since it does help catch some words I may not have heard of before or just catch what it being sad. When I'm watching something on my computer, I watch them with my earphones in. I couldn't watch something without the earphones, I'd probably watch it without sound, if I had to watch something, but had no headphones/earphones. When you were describing the gestures/eyes/etc., I could picture it, so I think I have watched videos/images/etc. on mute, just maybe don't do it often or for the same purpose. :) 

Little Guy

Yep. I do mute all the time. Drives my wife crazy when she walks through the room and there I am watching the silent TV.

I do subtitles a lot when I watch movies 'cause it's often hard for me to watch action and catch all the voices.

Mornings I tend to like silence so I get up an hour before my wife. I know she's up because she listen to Public Radio at full volume!:wacko:

Gone away

I understand the sound sensitivities because I certainly have that, but wondered if anyone gets hyper aware of expressions / body language and the mechanics behind the TV illusion.

For instance, later yesterday my partner was watching a UK programme called 'gogglebox' which is about filming people watching TV. I've seen it lots of times but suddenly realised these people must have bright spotlights on them to make their room so bright. I was no longer believing the illusion but imagining how it was created. It spoilt it.

Though I enjoy having half an eye on the TV with the sound off, thats why I stopped years ago. It spoilt the illusion and I started getting over aware of body language and camera / lighting angles etc.... or what I refer to as mechanics.

RiRi

@Going home Sorry for the somewhat off topic post, but I have wondered about this since I saw your thread. :) Usually my threads only have gray tags in then, so I was wondering how did you make the pink tag? (at the top of this thread). 

Gone away
Just now, Makelets said:

Sorry for the somewhat off topic post, but I have wondered about this since I saw your thread. :) Usually my threads only have gray tags in then, so I was wondering how did you make the pink tag? (at the top of this thread). 

I have no idea, this is my second thread and I'm still not too familiar. I'm not even  certain I used the word gestures (but may have). The forum seemed to know some words but not others. I'm guessing its something to do with the word rather than anything I did ...