Arthur

Stimming

Nesf
Oh god, I walk really slow and sometimes just randomly stop! I'll try to speed up when walking with you! I am used to running to catch up with my mum though, so it's okay don't need to wait on me! 

Is that because you need to stop to take in your surroundings, and there's too much to take in if you walk fast?

Sofi
Is that because you need to stop to take in your surroundings, and there's too much to take in if you walk fast?

Yes, it depends on the situation I guess. I know in an unfamiliar or new place, I walk very cautiously to take in the visual/auditory surroundings and also I do have to take my time with walking because I am so prone to tripping over my feet (dyspraxia!). Especially, when it gets to steps! I sometimes just stop in my steps if I realise something that I'm not okay with maybe, I just stop and think "Woah! What is this?" 

I know, in a new place, I often stop at the door or threshold of the place and look around first before entering to see if everything is okay. I'm not keen on new places but if I'm excited about the new place (Zoo) I'm fine. I'm just a bit like a radar. 

What about you?

Smithy The Wizard

I tap on things all the time, and I sometimes rock back and forth.

Toran

In new places I feel very agitated but thats usually with work and im with somebody else most of the time. Im conscious that my behaviour will be noticed and try desperately to keep it under control and not stand out which makes my anxietys a lot worse and the problems become more of an issue. Its not something that is easily controlled and has been a problem for as long as I can remember and im sure it always will be.

Ik3

If I'm in an environment where I don't feel comfortable stimming( for me it's tapping, bouncing, and roaring really loud until my voice goes out) I constantly keep my jaw clenched tight, which makes me appear angry or hostile to the people around me, which is of course not the case, but the result is that I am often misjudged as a mean person that people stay away from :(

Autistic4EVER
I tap on things all the time, and I sometimes rock back and forth.

If I'm in an environment where I don't feel comfortable stimming( for me it's tapping, bouncing, and roaring really loud until my voice goes out) I constantly keep my jaw clenched tight, which makes me appear angry or hostile to the people around me, which is of course not the case, but the result is that I am often misjudged as a mean person that people stay away from  :(

I do the same exact thing with the finger tapping, but I also like the drums, so I'm constenatley always tapping my fingers or hands. I've always gotten on people's nerves when I do this and I've been doing this since the 3rd grade lol 

@IK3, I usually have my head down or look depressed when I'm nervous or thinking but I had a similar problem with the angry looks. It's been years since I stimmed by rocking back and forth, but I find myself occasionally doing it sometimes. 

Shibumi

My stimming also tends to be finger tapping, not tapping on things like tables or whatever but tapping each each of my fingers in turn on my thumb and counting in my head. I will also usually set myself a number to count up to and continue till I reach it.

I also use my lighter for the same sort of thing, holding it between my thumb and index finger then running my fingers from top to bottom, then turning it over so my fingers are back at the top and repeating it. Again its usually accompanied by counting to an arbitrary figure in my head.

Whoknows

If my stims were medical stimpacks, I would recover from any ailment and still have enough for a country.

Richard

I tap my feet, rock back and forth and twist and play with my fingers. Also if I am weaing a top or a jacket that has strings I play with them a lot, usually until the strings are frayed and worn lol. I actually strain the muscles in my fingers doing this.

Edited by Richard