MaskMadeOfMeds

Aspie Cuisine

MaskMadeOfMeds

My step-brother and I both have strange opinions about what food tastes good or bad compared to others in the family, as well as the preference of eating each thing/section on the plate one by one. I was wondering how much this related to Autism Spectrum, and since we both like a homemade curry recipe that others find mediocre, if theres any food that you like that the NTs you know don't.

BDEGRD

I don't know about the taste thing, but the eating sequence I have a tendency to do but for me its one bite from each section than repeat round and round until all the food Is done, I have put in an effort though to reduce rigid behavior I used to be meticulous with the round the plate style of eating even going as far as each portion I eat from each is the right size so all food is done in sequence with nothing left over.

BDEGRD

also the only thing with taste that I have that differs from average people is I tend to like very strong tasting things,  very old cheese, very strong booze like straight up moonshine or old liquors that normal people would water down, I like straight. but im not sure if all this is related to aspergers.

MaskMadeOfMeds

It might be related since I like the strongest cheeses and darkest beers when I have them. It might just be a coincidence and I'm thinking too far ahead because I had the slight hope when I posted before, that this would turn into some sort of cooking thread at some point.

aspieguy

I eat all the food separately, yes. I don't like the food mixing, and I eat all of one food before I eat the next food.

Of course, that only applies to such meals. Meals where the food is supposed to be mixed, like a stew, I don't mind having mixed, but meals where the food is supposed to be separate must be kept separate.

I also like a lot of pasta.

Nesf

I tend to eat things in a certain order too, but if for some reason I can't, it's not a huge disaster - this was more of an issue for me when I was a child. I always leave my favourite thing till last.

I have a preference for strong tasting foods like curry and very ripe cheese. When I was a child, my mum once made a curry, but she put too much cayenne pepper in it. I was the only one in my family that liked it and could eat it.

I am one of the 25% or so of people who can't taste the bitter chemicals in brussels sprouts, so I adore brussesls sprouts while most people hate them. Apparently the ability to taste these bitter chemicals is genetic.

storm-petrel
2 hours ago, Nesf said:

I am one of the 25% or so of people who can't taste the bitter chemicals in brussels sprouts, so I adore brussesls sprouts while most people hate them. Apparently the ability to taste these bitter chemicals is genetic.

I absolutely love Brussels sprouts.

Harrow

I don't think food really has to do with Aspergers, but hey I could be wrong. But one thing I do, do like mentioned above is I always eat my food in the same way, one thing at a time around the plate till I'm done and that might because of the routine we're all known for liking 

Peridot

Brussels sprouts are terrible! :o

6a0112796f38d028a40154377029c8970c-pi