StarlessEclipse

Sensory Overload - Virtual Reality Experience

aspieguy

@Makelets Yes that is the basis of sensory overload, but I think the term itself usually refers to what happens when all the extra sensory information becomes too much. In other words, when I'm in a noisy place, the extra noise that I hear compared to NTs is as a result of hypersensitivity, not sensory overload, but the disorientation and agitation that results from prolonged exposure to the noise is the sensory overload. I think NTs can have sensory overload as well, but we get it a lot more because of our hypersensitivity.

Harrow

When I experience a sensory overload the main thing that happens is my head freezes up and I struggle to think or concentrate, basically a thought gets stuck in my head and it wont progress, it just keep replaying over and over again, e.g I think that I must go to the shop, but that keeps replaying, but I can't progress to why I must go to the shop and sometimes I feel like I'm going to vomit.

Also I don't know if it counts, but sometimes I will have nightmares at night about having a sensory overload, where I often wake up completely drenched in sweat.

blacktiger911

i have become more tolerant of sensory overload from sound. my work is loud and like at airsoft today with all the noise going on.

Inactive User

Sometimes some lights can be so strong and I don't like loud noise, is that a sensory overload I am having? 

Gone away
9 hours ago, Jo said:

Sometimes some lights can be so strong and I don't like loud noise, is that a sensory overload I am having? 

Yes, though I guess there are degrees of everything.

I tend to think of that as sensory issues  (disproportionate awareness of stimulus) and am the same like that. Some smells bother me way too much too.

Combine a couple of these and I need to leave. When needed I use ear defenders at home and have lights very low.

Edited by Going home

Well - I haven't experienced anything like that in 33 years - when I had my last 'panic attack'..... Pure BS from the doctor at the time. Panic attack - what a crock of shite. 

This video is exactly what I used to experience right through my childhood but nobody ever really noticed. I would just have to hide it. No different to a bad Acid trip. Its just as a kid, you didn't consume anything so out of the blue - the ground would disappear and the sky would fall, and the hole would basically eat me up! :(

For some reason all of this stopped for me as I hit mid teens. I guess this is because of outside influences and things I found inspiring?  Sounds silly but the film, Karate Kid was a huge help. Thats the first time i ever heard the idea of breathing slowly to calm down. 

Nesf

This one is quite accurate for me, especially the noise

aspieguy

I like this one:

Edited by aspieguy