Sign in to follow this  
Kroge

Weights (blankets etc.)

Kroge

I would like to find some way to create a large and focused amount of pressure on me, usually for sleep but otherwise for relaxing. I want to emulate the effect of a weighted blanket but without actually buying one. I also am rubbish at DIY so I couldn't make my own unless it were very simple.

Does anyone have any ideas of some material/s I can get in order to create such a focused pressure that can cover as much surface area as possible? I cannot use thicker blankets because heat is a continuous issue. The heavier the better. So ideally something heavy but spreadable.

Kroge

I can use rice or sand or stones or whatever as a filling, that shouldn't be too difficult. I just need something to hold them together coherently to form a a large enough and especially flat enough surface.

RiRi

I was looking at weighted blankets the other day and they do seem expensive. I think DIY sounds like a good idea. Like opening your blanket and putting some rice inside it, sewing some patches, kind of like a quilt? Sorry if that doesn't sound like a good idea, it sounds okay in my mind. Hopefully someone can help on the materials. I don't know too much, but I think rice sounds like a good idea. 

Speaking of weighted blankets I think I like the weight as well. Like some other aspies, I find it comforting, but like you, the heat can also be an issue. 

Little Guy

The pillows from some couches are weighty and then lay another blanket on top.

Mooncat
12 hours ago, Makelets said:

Like opening your blanket and putting some rice inside it, sewing some patches, kind of like a quilt?

Yes, this is essentially how you make your own weighted blanket. I've been looking it up recently, as I'd like to make one for myself. There are various websites that give instructions, if you google it. They are so expensive to buy - I was actually wondering if I could find a way of making one fairly cheaply, and selling some on etsy.

If you are thinking of making your own, the blanket should weigh ideally about 10% of your body weight (including the weight of the fabric, not just the filling). Also, if you fill it with rice, you can't wash it. I was thinking of making one with rice, and making a washable cover for it. Alternatively you can use plastic poly beads, which is what is often in the ones you buy, as they are washable. That's a bit more expensive, though.

Hope some of that is helpful!

Gone away

There is a lot of moisture generated when sleeping which the rice or other pulses would absorb ... this may cause fungal based health issues and may attract mites etc.

I would use poly beads/pellets (ebay etc.)

Mooncat

Thanks for the advice @Going home, I hadn't thought of that. I guess rice ones are ok for using during the day, eg. as lap mats, but not so good for sleeping under. Poly pellets are a lot more expensive, though (I could find 5kg of rice for £2, but 5kg of poly pellets for no less than £15).

Gone away

@Mooncat They use buckwheat for the microwave pillows, but the microwaving would kill any organisms / bacteria.

The polybeads/pellets (in human terms) will last forever.

Regarding the price .. I'd think in terms of overall value for money over the life of the product. If its well made it should last years and would still represent good value as the beads could theoretically be washed and reused in years to come after the quilt has deteriorated.

We always had old fashioned heavy wool blankets as a child and/or cotton quilts or duck down duvets. Crochet throws/ blankets too. They were all fairly heavy in those days and I guess dust mites added to the weight.

Mimo

At work the other day i came across a blanket that i think was meant for decoration across the top of a couch.  Anyways it was made of some kind of upholstery material and was very heavy. It was slightly larger than a lap blanket and had to weigh 5-10 pounds or more (I'm not good with estimates but it was really heavy). Maybe you could find something like that?