PandaPrincess

Pokemon Go

PandaPrincess

Has any of you played Pokemon Go yet?  I have!  I'm only playing it in areas that have wifi though since it uses too much data.  I've already caught four pokemon in my house.  

Roxy

This will be really popular amongst kids with autism.

Harrow

I actually looked for Pokemon go this morning on Android's play store, but I couldn't find it, but i really want to try it

Heather

I haven't played it because it's not officially available in Canada yet and I don't like downloading apps outside of the google play store (more likely occurrence of a virus or something).  I might try it out one day when it is available in Canada.

Although I am concerned about the app because 1) people have gotten into dangerous situations because they go out to find a pokemon and aren't paying attention to their surroundings and end up in a bad situation and 2) it uses your phone GPS/location which could be a concern for privacy reasons, and how much data is collected based on that.

I think it could be used safely though as long as people go out with a friend and/or be very careful with their surroundings.  It is cool because it seems to be connecting people who wouldn't normally meet and that is pretty cool, a nice ice breaker for sure.  I think people will learn to be careful with it, but there are some freaky stories that have sprung up since the release.  It does sound really cool though, I'm torn between whether I'd get it.. probably depending on if it would be free or not. Probably free with in-app purchases possible.

Just be safe if you play :) I guess using it only places you have WIFI will help a bit with that, at least it is a good way not to be tempted to go out in the streets to catch a pokemon because usually WIFI doesn't reach there.  It's a really interesting new type of app.. I wonder if this is the start of a new way of gaming.. I feel like it will be the start of other similar style apps.

StormCrow

I just herd about it last night. 

What the heck is this thing?

PandaPrincess

@StormCrow Pokemon Go is a mobile app and it uses your gps, so you can walk around in places irl to find and catch pokemon. It uses the camera on your phone too, so when you encounter a pokemon, it looks like it is in your surroundings.  There are also pokestops and gyms, and gyms can be historic places, museums, and places like that that you have to go to in real life. I can't remember where pokestops can be found at.

So far, I have only played the game in my house, and I've caught 5 pokemon. I can't wait to get to level 5 so that I can join Team Instinct. I'm level 3 now.

@Eadric The game might not be available where you live yet. It was released in the U.S., and I think Australia and maybe somewhere else too. I think they delayed the release of it in other countries because there are a lot of server issues since it's so popular. 

@squeeker Yeah my sister messaged me today and said not to download pokemon go because it's dangerous. I didn't respond to her since I had already downloaded the app last night, and I didn't want to get into it with her. I'm only going to play it in restaurants and stores that have wifi, and at home since I can sometimes catch pokemon here. When I go back to college I can play it there too. I think there is a gym at the gym.

Primeape

I set my iPad to a USA address and downloaded the app from the USA official App Store on iPad then changed back to my normal iCloud address and it still works ? Screw waiting

Edited by DebzMata08

PandaPrincess

There are a bunch of Pidgeys near where I live. You can see what Pokemon are nearby and about how far away you have to go to get them, but I've only caught the ones I can catch in my house. I've seen a bunch of Pidgey around though.  I just caught my second Pidgey a few minutes ago, and I caught a Pidgeotto this morning. 

You can get more xp, at least I think xp, it might be something else, by spinning your poke ball before you throw it.  I did that when I caught my second Pidgey and it said my throw was great.

Primeape
12 hours ago, StormCrow said:

I just herd about it last night. 

What the heck is this thing?

Google it ??

thegingerone

I'm waiting for the UK release since I knowing my luck my phone will blow up or something the moment I try to change the reigion on it.