PandaPrincess

Pokemon Go

Heather
11 hours ago, nichii said:

Some phones are incompatible due to not having a gyroscope. This was the case with my old phone, but I was still able to download the game by searching for the Pokemon Go apk file. The only thing that didn't work was the augmented reality which can be disabled. The game plays perfectly with AR disabled. Google should let people download it if only one feature in the game doesn't work on some phones.

Okay that might be why it won't work with my phone then.  I am hesitant to download a Pokemon Go apk file because I haven't before.  But that's good to know if I feel like trying. Otherwise, I'll just wait to get a new phone that will work.  I agree that if this is the reason why it is incompatible, they should have an option to download it without the augmented reality thing.  Do you know a good website that has good apk files and hopefully not ones carrying a virus or something. I do have AVG virus app on my phone I could scan the file with but am worried still.  But I might just be best off waiting though I am curious to try it out on my phone.

RiRi

What's gyroscope? And apk file? I just checked my phone version android 4.1 is what I have so I don't think that method would work for me. Even if I bought a memory chip to mount more memory on my phone.

@squeeker can someone close to you who has it on their phone let you play it?

I have seen that you create a profile of yourself and you can put it how you look. I'm looking forward to doing that once I get my account.

Heather
Just now, Makelets said:

What's gyroscope? And apk file? I just checked my phone version android 4.1 is what I have so I don't think that method would work for me. Even if I bought a memory chip to mount more memory on my phone.

@squeeker can someone close to you who has it on their phone let you play it?

I have seen that you create a profile of yourself and you can put it how you look. I'm looking forward to doing that once I get my account.

As far as I know gyroscope is something to detect movement in a certain direction. I tried looking it up but didn't want to spend too much time so just skimmed it quickly.  Apk file is the name for files downloaded outside the Google Play store as far as I can tell, just what people call them.. though technically I'm not 100% sure what it stands for.  Oh yeah I think android 4.1 is a bit less than the requirement so maybe it wouldn't work with this method? 

I have watched people play it around me, but didn't play it myself.  I felt very left out last weekend when I was at my sister's wedding because while we were waiting for my sister and her groom to finish the bride and groom photos, most of the wedding party was catching pokemon. :D It looked so fun.

Harrow

Sorry gyroscope isn't something that detects movement, its really just something that balance no matter orientation, eg. When you turn your phone the screen always stays upright for reading. And apk, just means Android  program.:) 

Edited by Eadric

Heather

Thank you @Eadric, a much better explanation from someone who actually knows what they are talking about and didn't just skim read to find out! :P 

Anyway, wish me luck... I might attempt to download an apk file and try it out on my phone.  I'll let you guys know if I get it working or if I give up on it and just wait for getting a new phone one day.

RiRi

@squeeker It's ok. I do appreciate you telling me what you skimmed. It was nice of you. @Eadric Thanks for the explanation. Thanks both. :)

@squeeker I hope it works out. Looking forward for how it turns out. Though I'd be the last one to create their own account. 

Harrow

I tried to download the apk on my phone but it refused to work. The official launch is in a week though so I'm hoping the proper game will work with my phone then 

RiRi

Good luck! :)

RiRi

@Eadric What android version do you have? You probably have a better phone than me. Everyone seems to do. And I wasn't aware the official release was next week. I wonder what that means. 

Heather

It seems to work!!! I got it on my phone and got to the intro screen and able to make a character! I'll keep you posted.

@Makelets the official release is different depending on your country. I'm guessing South Africa's official release is next week so that's why it didn't work for @Eadric yet.... possibly