Roxy

Anyone Work From Home?

Nesf

Yes, I work from home. I'm a language tutor, and I also do some proofreading.

Harrow

I'm kind of transitioning into it. I mostly worked away from home but lately I've started to work more and more at home, I have my own business.

Aeolienne

I have the option of working from home.

Willow

I'm moving into wedding photography, which I guess counts sort of as working from home, in that, I'm not employed by some one and have to go to an office to get work done.

Aeolienne
14 hours ago, Willow said:

I'm moving into wedding photography, which I guess counts sort of as working from home, in that, I'm not employed by some one and have to go to an office to get work done.

But don't you have to attend the weddings?

(I'm a software developer in the Civil Service, btw)

Willow
13 minutes ago, Aeolienne said:

But don't you have to attend the weddings?

(I'm a software developer in the Civil Service, btw)

Yeah, but I always think working from home and working for yourself can mean the same thing so I didn't know which OP was wanting haha :) I also do freelance graphic design, which doesn't require I leave the house :) 

Aeolienne
7 hours ago, Willow said:

working from home and working for yourself can mean the same thing 

Not necessarily. You can be employed by a company and work from home. OTOH, if you're setting up your own business you may well have to get out of the house a fair bit, for instance to promote your product at trade fairs or negotiate with suppliers. That certainly seems to be the case with the entrepreneurs featured on Give It A Year. Plus some self-employed people choose to work in shared co-working spaces.

Cf the advice on working from home and self-employment at WorkSmart by the Trade Union Congress (TUC)

Willow
50 minutes ago, Aeolienne said:

Not necessarily. You can be employed by a company and work from home. OTOH, if you're setting up your own business you may well have to get out of the house a fair bit, for instance to promote your product at trade fairs or negotiate with suppliers. That certainly seems to be the case with the entrepreneurs featured on Give It A Year. Plus some self-employed people choose to work in shared co-working spaces.

Cf the advice on working from home and self-employment at WorkSmart by the Trade Union Congress (TUC)

I know that there are many technical differences, I just meant that as phrases, people use them synonymously.

Heather

I would like to work from home but at the moment I have to go outside to work for a company.  It is good though, I'm glad to have the job!  I have a few ideas for starting my own business but they are just ideas and not ready to be shown to the world (yet, if ever). :P