Alex

Games

veearrell
6 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I've had a few 360s and they are garbage.  I'm on my third system and the hard drive doesn't work.  Try detaching the hard drive and see if it works.  If it works without the hard drive, then you either need a new one or get a usb thumbstick.  I use two of those on mine 360.  It sucks, but it is cheaper than a hard drive.  There are limitations though.  I don't think you have access to cloud save files without a hard drive.

Well I just tried that and without the hard drive attached it goes straight to the main menu screen without asking me to log in first (it's not hooked up to the internet for Xbox Live, by the way, so I've always assumed that logging into the console was a formality). Does this mean the hard drive is dead? The problem I'm having is that I'll be playing and after about twenty minutes the console just randomly cuts off and shows three red lights blinking. I don't get any graphical or audio glitches first, it just cuts off without any warning.

Edited by veearrell

Dingo
1 minute ago, veearrell said:

Well I just tried that and without the hard drive attached it goes straight to the main menu screen without asking me to log in first (it's not hooked up to the internet for Xbox Live, by the way, so I've always assumed that logging into the console was a formality). Does this mean the hard drive is dead? The problem I'm having is that I'll be playing and after about twenty minutes the console just randomly cuts off and shows three red lights blinking. I don't get any graphical or audio glitches first, it just cuts off without any warning.

It probably goes straight to that screen because it doesn't have a profile to load right away since your profile would be stored on the hard drive.  It looks like the problem is your hard drive.  If you can run your system for a while before it crashes, you might be able to transfer your profile and save files to a usb flash drive, if you have one.  It should be able to just use a thumbstick drive.  I have the s model xbox and it works fine for me that way, although sometimes I have to remove and reinsert one of the two usb flash drives that I use in order for it to be recognized.  I'm not sure if the flash drives have to be a certain size or not.  I think mine are both 16gb.

veearrell
35 minutes ago, Raziel said:

It probably goes straight to that screen because it doesn't have a profile to load right away since your profile would be stored on the hard drive.  It looks like the problem is your hard drive.  If you can run your system for a while before it crashes, you might be able to transfer your profile and save files to a usb flash drive, if you have one.  It should be able to just use a thumbstick drive.  I have the s model xbox and it works fine for me that way, although sometimes I have to remove and reinsert one of the two usb flash drives that I use in order for it to be recognized.  I'm not sure if the flash drives have to be a certain size or not.  I think mine are both 16gb.

It's not the hard drive. Just to double check, I called my brother in law and he suggested running the game without the hard drive attached and said if I had the same issue than it's something else. Unfortunately, this time I didn't even get ONE minute. The console RRODd before even getting to the game's menu screen. Do I seriously just have a dead console now? What do I do? I have a whole stack of games for the thing, including a few I hadn't played yet that I was really looking forward to and I don't want to just give up on it.

Edited by veearrell

Gone away

I'd trawl the net and some xbox360 forums ... chances are its just getting the right keywords to find the solution ... 

Shibumi

From what I recall the number and position of the red error segments is meant to give a general induction of where may lie, if you do a search on the net for RROD codes it may throe some more light on it.

If it's the most common, 3 red lights, the two left lights and bottom right, then chances are its a bad or dry solder joint that's developed due to heat and the motherboard flexing. There is a possible fix if you're feeling brave that involves removing the motherboard and sticking it in the oven to re-melt the solder so that a proper connection is made again. Again a search on the net will yield you plenty of instructions and probably videos as this was a major problem with the early models. 

Luke

I second what Shibumi said.  

To find out the error code, hold the wireless sync-button and press the effect button four times (when the Xbox has RROD), and for each time a certain amount of red rings will flash. This is the error code.

The motherboard flexes due to successive heating and cooling phases, and over time hair-line cracks begin to appear in the solder-balls connecting the BGA chips (CPU/GPU/RAM...) to the motherboard.  To fix this, the BGA chips (the ones with hair-line cracks) need to be heated up to a temperature so that the solder-balls melt.  You might be able to find out exactly which BGA chip needs reflowing from the error code. 

My brother's graphics card (R9 280X) had graphical glitches and they would worsen whenever his computer was knocked slightly (this was likely due to hair-line cracks and the graphics card bending from being knocked ).  It now works perfectly after being reflowed (even when knocked slightly!) :)

This is not a certain fix, because maybe a component is just failing and remelting the solder won't do anything, but it's worth trying. 

Mom: Hey, what are you doing?

Me: Baking my Xbox 360 in your oven, hope you don't mind.

xD

Please PM me for more information if this is something you want to do.

Edited by Luke

veearrell

I don't trust myself to do it right. It's the reason I haven't baked my Virtual Boy either to fix the dimness on one side. I'm afraid I'll just make it worse. So I guess the question now is, is it worth getting another one when I can spare the cash for it (which may be several months) or should I just trade my games in and get a different system? I'd hate to do that, but if 360s are that unreliable, I don't know what else to do.

Luke

The newer Xbox 360S and Xbox 360E are much more reliable.

veearrell

How could I tell them apart? Do they have a different design or what?

Luke

Xbox 360S:

315778-500x333.jpg

Xbox 360E:

XBOX_360_35791989_35791991_35789091_3579

Here's a comparison photo:

XBOX_360_35791989_35791991_35789091_3579

The latest version is the Xbox 360E (furthest right).