Willow

Stories for Children on the Spectrum

Nesf

It is a good idea but do use a font type that can be read readily.

I agree with this... I find joined up writing difficult to read but that's just me... I really have no idea how kids are taught to write in the UK, but since most books children have to read are printed, perhaps plain printed writing would be a better idea?

Xmas

I personally prefer fonts 1 + 2, but it depends on if you will be aiming the book at a particular age group. When you were a child growing up, did you find some fonts easier to read than others?

Sofi

I used to have lots of social stories, some published ones and some just made by my teachers and therapist, which had real photos of me doing the thing. Crossing the road, Turn taking, Going to the shop, Brushing teeth, Going into mainstream classroom (that is probably not relevant here), Volume of voice indoor and outdoor voice.

Nesf

I used to have lots of social stories, some published ones and some just made by my teachers and therapist, which had real photos of me doing the thing. Crossing the road, Turn taking, Going to the shop, Brushing teeth, Going into mainstream classroom (that is probably not relevant here), Volume of voice indoor and outdoor voice.

Were they helpful?

Sofi

Were they helpful?

Yes, I think so. I was little when first used then I continued to use different ones when I was older. To be honest, I would probably still benefit from one if it was more for adult not little kid types. Maybe an anger one for adult. 

I stick closely to the rules about crossing road one, but if something different happens at the road, the plan is over and I don't know how to always react. I would worry about crossing busy road on my own without the red and green men system, I might not be able to judge the speed and distance of the cars. 

Brushing teeth one obviously did not help though because I still can't do that on my own thought and not well.

Nesf

Yes, I think so. I was little when first used then I continued to use different ones when I was older. To be honest, I would probably still benefit from one if it was more for adult not little kid types. Maybe an anger one for adult. 

I stick closely to the rules about crossing road one, but if something different happens at the road, the plan is over and I don't know how to always react. I would worry about crossing busy road on my own without the red and green men system, I might not be able to judge the speed and distance of the cars. 

Brushing teeth one obviously did not help though because I still can't do that on my own thought and not well.

I think social stories for adults would be a good idea, and a lot of people would benefit from them, as adult social relationships are often quite complicated and difficult to comphrehend for people with autism.

I feel nervous at a pedestrian crossing, because even though I know that the cars should wait for me to cross, I can still see them coming and worry about whether they will stop or not.

Sofi

I think social stories for adults would be a good idea, and a lot of people would benefit from them, as adult social relationships are often quite complicated and difficult to comphrehend for people with autism.

I feel nervous at a pedestrian crossing, because even though I know that the cars should wait for me to cross, I can still see them coming and worry about whether they will stop or not.

Visual stories are good, I would definitely still benefit. I haven't got a clue about adult social relationships, if I'm honest  lol. 

Yeah, I never know about crossing a road. I don't do it on my own ever nowadays though, when I did it with friends I would hang onto them because I don't trust myself. 

Toran

I think font 2 is the best one personally in my opinion.

I had an ex whos daughter was autistic and her issue was frustration when she couldnt line up the custard creams in a straight line amoung other things of a similar nature.

Im no expert so dont feel I have any experience to bring to this topic but how an autistic child can deal with things that frustrate them and brings on meltdowns to the point of trashing things. Its an opinion but how this is put into words I bow to the experience of others.

Ben

Seeing Koby upset saddens me slightly...

Nesf

I think font 2 is the best one personally in my opinion.

I had an ex whos daughter was autistic and her issue was frustration when she couldnt line up the custard creams in a straight line amoung other things of a similar nature.

Im no expert so dont feel I have any experience to bring to this topic but how an autistic child can deal with things that frustrate them and brings on meltdowns to the point of trashing things. Its an opinion but how this is put into words I bow to the experience of others.

I remember screaming with rage when I was about 6 years old because I was eating a piece of Battenberg cake and it wouldn't stay together and I beat it to pulp (crumbs, I should say)... and if I couldn't arrange things exaclty as I wanted I would fly into a rage with frustration. This can still happen :(