TheDefended

Aspies and New Languages.

TheDefended

For my future, I want to migrate out of the United Kingdom. I aim to go to Japan for cultural difference but a road block is learning the language and having the information sunk into my mind like my normal language. I do enjoy the aspect of trying a new language (as i tried to learn french at school but I wasn't passionate about the country or culture) but for the information to sink in and to pile more of the language in my head to make it fluent, it seems difficult.

Now, my aspergers is also another road block as I am very shy and nervous. Meaning, trying to communicate with someone while having the fear of messing up the words and so on make me somewhat scared. Even trying to remember and say the words to a family member to test myself and get the words to sink in is difficult.

Have any of you tried to learn a new language and if so, was it a success? And any tips for me to advance forward and to get more confidence?

Nesf

Yes, I have learned several foreign languages. Writing and reading was always easier than speaking/oral communication and aural comprehension. Those are the two skills I developed last. But when you learn a foreign language, as well as grammar and vocabulary, you can learn scripts - literally, language textbooks are full of social scripts, as a person learning the language often needs to learn the culture and social communication of the country whose language they are studying. The language can act as a mask, a buffer between you and the person with whom you are communicating, which somehow removes you from the situation and your emotions - and also, people are more forgiving of foreigners when they don't know all the social subtleties or make mistakes.

I would work on your grammar and vocabulary first, practise your writing skills until you gain more confidence, don't worry too much about speaking at first, that will come in time as you acquire knowledge and confidence. However, a skill cannot be improved if not practised, so it may be necessary to push yourself beyond your comfort zone if you really want to master it.

Dr-David-Banner

Fortunately conversational Japanese is easy for English speakers. The actual Japanese writing system is difficult but you can learn to speak through Romaji. Maybe find a beginners book in Romaji.

TheDefended
4 hours ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

The actual Japanese writing system is difficult but you can learn to speak through Romaji.

The writing style is so unique, so far i'm enjoying it and finding it somewhat easy. However, I have other things blocking my interests at the moment to be fully revising this language notes I've collected already. As for writing again, I'm going through their entire alphabet systems to begin with, 3 categories I believe to start at the real basics. Should be a fun journey.

TheDefended
6 hours ago, Miss Chief said:

I saw this video the other day that might be helpful:

Best Way to Learn a Language: Introvert v Extrovert

This has been very helpful. Thank you so much. I mean I am very introverted so languages with direct communication necessary will be difficult, but this has helped.