Dr-David-Banner

Internet Pack Mentality

Dr-David-Banner

I need more time to comment in detail - perhaps later on. I should point out discrimination varies from country to country. Somebody else may have had different experiences in different countries. Based on my actual experience, however, I believe there there is such a thing as an AS spectrum personality. And I believe it has been wrongly and incorrectly represented as a defect. I base this on what I read from the studies of Hans Asperger in Austria during the 1930's. Clearly there was serious academic interest at the time for reasons I won't go into. Suffice it to say the autistic personality type concerns the processing of information, not externally, but inwardly. The difference is neurotypicals function in a different way by collective thinking. The education system is also geared to collective thinking, with systems and hierarchies and teachers and so forth. I used to think this system was a lot more effective than it actually is. Till you find scientific progress tended to come from those who were marginalised or even excluded. Just as one example a mathematician in Russia today who recently turned down an award because he felt it would be hypocritical. This person was a loner who studied outside of the classroom environment and evidently cold shouldered by the mainstream. He solved a puzzle in nanophysics nobody else could while living on an income of 40 dollars a month. Incidentally his decision to cut himself off in future from the science community that didn't take him seriously is understandable. I could quote other examples. Discrimination is, as I perceive it, the sidelining and exclusion of those who don't fit into a hierarchy or appear to shine in established environments. The best course is to recognise it and push on regardless. I never said I lose sleep over it but long stopped allowing the negative perceptions of autism to undermine reality.

Dr-David-Banner

Here is an interesting anecdote. During a time of unemployment I was sent to some Work Program organization. These people were supposed to fit you into a job and estimate your employment potential. I was in a class of about 12 people. The person in charge of the class struck me as not all that pleasant and condescending. He prided himself in a computerised aptitude test that he claimed was almost impossible to get a grade 1. We were all told to do the test. So, I did the test. It took about 40 minutes and I got absorbed in it. In the end I got a score and this guy's face was in shock. It was pretty much a perfect score. Well, later it really seemed to piss him off. He recommended me for really low level work and I winded up doing very basic stuff. Most of the other workers spoke only a little English and I was there some months. It's not a story I ever shared but amusing and very typical.

Dr-David-Banner

Paranoia. This to me has a few angles that probably haven't been explored enough. I suffer sometimes from paranoia. I find the difficulty is distinguishing real paranoia from sensitivity. A lot of people forget about the subconscious mind. The subconcious mind is behind behaviour of an individual that isn't read by the conscious mind. To give a good example. During filming of Planet Of The Apes in 1969, it was noticed the actors were behaving oddly during breaks. The gorillas sat on one table. The chimps at another. The baboons in their costumes also sat apart. Yet they didn't realise how they were acting. What may be actual paranoia may also be the sensing of negative emotions. The problem is lots of males on the spectrum tell their psychologist they feel rejected by the opposite sex. The psychologists scribble "slight paranoia symptoms" but there is the subconscious aspect. This latter is left ignored. I explored areas of the subconscious mind I prefer not to debate but suffice it to say it's a very large sphere of the brain with vast capacity for storing information. Anyway, my strong assumption is sometimes with me it's simply paranoia and on other occasions there is genuine malice behind a smile. I even had an experience once when someone had called me by accident (unlocked phone in pocket) and I was being discussed, without their knowing the phone was transmitting the discussion. Well, let's just say it was hardly flattering. Pretty horrendous in fact. So where do paranoia and sensitive perception part company. Finally, when it is paranoia it seems to be rooted in autism. I know I am so deep in my own sense of self I often make the mistake that any crisis could be down to me. Such as someone got into trouble with a friend. Was it something I said or did? In actual fact it would have had nothing to do with me at all. Apart from paranoia let us not forget Narcissism. Possibly I have a dose of it and all connected to a very strong sense of self. Like putting all your efforts into goals that exclude the awareness of others around you.

Hi folks 

I get what you're saying. I get it constantly on the forums I frequent (less so these days) which are also boaty, watery, sailing, surfing forums. It's actually something about the nature of 'Seamanship' imo. Very critical of others in many ways and always will be. 

I also have the same sense of self you're talking about and simply put, I'm almost always right and others always wrong lol!! 

Thing is - 'self' is the whole universe - all of us/it..... So even in being wrong, you/they can still be right. 

Right and wrong are just two sides of the same coin. 

On the water though imo - Right = safe 

but if danger is right to another Waterman, who am I to contradict him/her...

99% if my water time is solo. Solo is regarded unsafe to most folk. He must be fool hardy they think. Who's right or who's wrong?? We're both right and wrong at the same time :)

9 hours ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

Here is an interesting anecdote. During a time of unemployment I was sent to some Work Program organization. These people were supposed to fit you into a job and estimate your employment potential. I was in a class of about 12 people. The person in charge of the class struck me as not all that pleasant and condescending. He prided himself in a computerised aptitude test that he claimed was almost impossible to get a grade 1. We were all told to do the test. So, I did the test. It took about 40 minutes and I got absorbed in it. In the end I got a score and this guy's face was in shock. It was pretty much a perfect score. Well, later it really seemed to piss him off. He recommended me for really low level work and I winded up doing very basic stuff. Most of the other workers spoke only a little English and I was there some months. It's not a story I ever shared but amusing and very typical.

This happens to me a lot in teaching environments. The Authority can see that I'm on a total other level when it comes to water activitys. My results are simply excellent most of the time, so the person in charge realises that I make them look like idiots so they put me in the bottom group. 

Sooooooo - I ditched them. 

I now make my entire living teaching water disciplines exactly how i want, in my own school. 

Im now a water sports brand in my own right and I'm rewriting the rules. :)

On the internet pack thing! 

I know now for a fact that some 'herds' will correspond with each other via email or text to plan the ultimate troll..... 

School stuff really. Most of them a 'virtual cyber experts' who never get wet or float a boat or catch a wave.

Dr-David-Banner

It's not an unfriendly site I was on. It was a disagreement and initially nobody took my side. I've had much worse on other websites. I just picked up there was a sense of sour grapes after the discussion ended. To be honest I don't know if I'll continue to take part as much or at least I'll have a break. On another theme, one thing I notice on Asperclick is 95 per cent of the members are doing far better than I am in employment. I do very well these days as a solo act. I am building a boat at the moment and fitting the electrics. I am still doing music and studying electrical engineering plus taking care of the dog. However in the working world I'm not accepted. I'm instantly perceived as not normal possibly as the dyspraxia is bad on some days and also I'm not fast moving. Sometimes it makes me feel a bit guilty as my friends work in shops and get well paid on basic shopwork. It seems so easy and people will say,"Surely you can get a basic job?" The answer to that is, yes, but the acceptance isn't there. This has somehow redirected my energy into purely solo activity. I do electrical theory all the time at night as it just keeps my mind from thinking about stuff that's less productive. In some ways the spectrum issues have given me real strong advantages but on the practical job survival level, I'm in serious difficulty. I seem capable of solving complex problems theoretically but absolutely useless in the actual environment.

Your boat project sounds great! 

Are you on the river or coast? 

My good friend lives on the water and he's an amazing engineer too. 

We have loads of folk who live along our stretch of water. All have got a story to tell as to  why they live on the water.

Im over the employment thing. So what if you get judged. Self employment is the way forward imp. as long as what you do is of the highest standard folk will love you for it and are happy to pay :)

Dr-David-Banner

I may put the boat on the coast. Recently I discovered a loophole that by switching to electric outboard propulsion, the licence fees are halved on inland waters. The boat itself is a "rescue boat". Nobody wanted it because the sterndrive area had rotted. That meant hauling and replacing the support timber. There was extensive wet-rot everywhere. It's now looking good enough for me to consider living on although I'll only have 25 feet of space. Enough to watch a DVD and read books. The current electric is AC but soon I'll be working on a solar DC system or whatever system I can devise. Above all the dog is a big 11 year old GSD and I'm making him his own bed. The big problem to solve will be heating. It looks like I'll have to consider a very small coal burner but avoid cinders on the roof somehow as it's GRP.