Dr-David-Banner

Internet Pack Mentality

Dr-David-Banner

The discussion earlier I will try and clarify. Suffice it to say if you want to understand how it feels to be disconnected, you should watch Carnival Of Souls. This is an early Sixties movie and can be watched on YouTube. This film for me was like no 9 to John Lennon. It felt like it had been written specially. The storyline starts with a woman who gets involved in a car accident and the car falls into the lake in Salt Lake City. Later she's found wandering on the sand. All the other passangers died. The woman in the film is an organist. That hit home for me as I play Drawbar or Percussion Organ too. Then, as the plot develops, the woman finds she's lost all connection with the people around her. She moves to a place to work as a church organist but loses this job due to lack of empathy towards the sentiments of the Church. She's kicked out for playing gothic dance hall music on the organ there. The bits that really hit home is when she can suddenly not be seen by other people. Such as in a shop when suddenly nobody replies or sees her and they just carry on talking. Another part I like is when a doctor tries to get her to describe her experience and she says she feels disconnected from the human race. And no desire to have a boyfriend or share experiences with other people. So, by that point in the movie I recall being stunned by how I related to it. Also very weird is the fact like the character in the film, I too once nearly died by drowning. I was at the time well past any feeling in my body but started to splutter out water on being pulled out. So, this was a near death experience. Therefore I wonder if whoever wrote Carnival Of Souls was basing it on some experience or may have been autistic. One symptom I get that's just like in the film is an unexpected feeling of fading away from resonance. One minute I may be fine and joking with friends and then suddenly I seem to lose all connection. The feeling is pretty awful and upsetting and hard to desribe. Years ago one psychologist tried to see if it was depersonalization syndrome. There was no AS diagnosis available back then. Even so, if nothing else Carnival Of Souls is a.classic film to see.

Paul

I will watch it. It sounds like one of the existentialist genre. I liked the book,  Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse. It had a resurgence in the 1960's. Remember the rock group, Steppenwolf? "Born to be Wild", Easy Rider.

Paul

I found Carnival of Souls available from Comcast for $2.99 rental.

Edited by Paul
spelling

Dr-David-Banner

You should watch it then. I was even kind of fascinated by the car radio shown when she's driving. I am fascinated by Sixties car radios. What intrigues me about this film is how did the scriptwriter come up with the whole scenario? The idea seems to be she's stuck between two frequencies or dimensions. She was supposed to have died in the car accident but got caught in limbo. So she's living life in a state of disconnection. Sometimes she gets glimpses of the beyond or phases out from the same frequency of perception others are tuned to. For me it's pretty much the same. Once I bumped into some Mormons and I was asking about the palladium in Salt Lake. It was the eery atmosphere of that derelict structure that inspired the script. In former times it was a seaside dance-hall.