Sign in to follow this  
Roxy

Getting To Busy Places Earlier As Opposed To Entering Busy Places

Roxy

i find this works well as an Aspie, instead of the anxiety of approaching someone already really crowded, like a bar or a group or an event/gig.. I find the best way I can cope is to get there earlier than anyone else, as if I'm already there and it gets really busy I'm more calm/fine as I feel settled and got use to my surroundings as opposed to approaching somewhere that is full of people as there is too many overload for me to get use to a new place + people.. too much information to process.

Just a tip x

Nesf

Yes, I do this, too. If I need to meet someone, I always try to get there really early, before they arrive, so I can see them approaching. Somehow that's easier than suddenly having to face them. I tend to hang back a bit while I suss things out and begin to feel more comfortable and relaxed. For me it's all about the need to feel in control of a situation; if things are beyond my control, I feel very stressed.

Gone away

Thats really good advice. I tend to be last minute or very slightly late for appointments etc.

I don't meet many people but I'm going to try and change my arrival habits

Roxy
On 10/26/2016 at 8:34 AM, Nesf said:

Yes, I do this, too. If I need to meet someone, I always try to get there really early, before they arrive, so I can see them approaching. Somehow that's easier than suddenly having to face them. I tend to hang back a bit while I suss things out and begin to feel more comfortable and relaxed. For me it's all about the need to feel in control of a situation; if things are beyond my control, I feel very stressed.

Same here, I get panic attacks going into places that are already really busy, so would probably avoid them or walk straight out.. I feel too much new things at once is what overloads our brains as we find it too intimidating (new surroundings, loads of new people) so if we do it step-by-step (arriving early to get use to new surroundings, gradually see new people arrive) it helps. Not saying it's perfect but it works for me to "fit in" society more and not seem such an odd-ball ! haha 

Edited by Roxy