Roxy

Collecting Things - How To Manage It?

Roxy

I collect a lot of books, DVD's and stuff like this, but my collection is spiralling out of control.

Any advice on what I can do to make the best of the space? I've looked at those DVD storage binders:

And they seem to save on a lot of space (especially when you have over 1 thousand DVD's), but throwing away the cases is something which is going to be very difficult for a hoarder after spending years acquiring them ! though I'd rather do this than throw them away completely like my family suggested I do (give them to a charity shop they said..) I told them to F off and stay out of my business, they have no idea how someone with Aspergers values collecting things, and when you are lonely/depressed it is one of the positive things to keep us going.. just because they have a busy social life lots of friends, partners, jobs etc it might not be a big deal for them, so they think why would it be a big deal for us!? it's wrong.. I mean some people even without Aspergers collect things like coins FFS ! 

I've told my family they should be glad I don't do drugs, drink alcohol, gamble etc (like a lot of young people do and I could do to get rid of the depression/anxiety pain) atleast I'm sensible and spending my money on collecting things which will last (when I die I'll pass them on to people as the types of movies/TV shows define me).

Any other suggestions? thanks

Edited by Roxy
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 2

Keep the cases for sure.. once they're all separated it's a downwards spiral IMO. 

Ive started collecting all my music online now.. I know it's not cool but solves storage problems and you can get whatever you want with ease. 

Sunglasses collection is another matter though ?

• Like 1
  • Helpful 3

Sorry - I just watched your vid. It's mostly DVDs I see. I guess the same online storage could apply though? Or hard drive? 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Roxy
9 minutes ago, Spiral said:

Keep the cases for sure.. once they're all separated it's a downwards spiral IMO. 

Ive started collecting all my music online now.. I know it's not cool but solves storage problems and you can get whatever you want with ease. 

Thing is, once I do something like collecting I can't stop, I have to do it 100% (part of Aspergers?) and keep collecting or stop completely, no half-measures lol

I don't wanna lose the cases, but maybe I could lose the cases on stuff like my Playstation/Wii games as they are not as valuable? I have these drawer storage see-through towers that keep them tidy and organised.  Like 5 of those haha ! I suppose I could try to spread them out around my room/house so it doesn't look such an eyesore!? 

Or maybe get these DVD binders for any new DVD's I get but keep the cases for ones I already have/my favourites as a compromise??

Edited by Roxy

Nesf

I have exactly the same issue, but with CDs. I have them stored in special storage units, like a bookcase but for CDs. Nowadays, because buying CDs is very expensive as opposed to buying digital copies, and I don't have much spare cash, my collection is now mainly digital. I have literally thousands of digital albums o my hard drive. I also have storage binders like those in the picture and they are practical, but that still leaves the issue as to where to store the cases.

I find that with the digital collection, if I download something and then don't like it, it's a lot easier psychologically to delete than if I'd bought the CD - I just can't throw or give CDs away. The digital collection is a lot easier to manage, and I can make playlists, easily find and select albums to listen to, though there is still something more special about having the CD. I think that it could work with DVDs, too.

• Helpful 2

Roxy
26 minutes ago, Nesf said:

I have exactly the same issue, but with CDs. I have them stored in special storage units, like a bookcase but for CDs. Nowadays, because buying CDs is very expensive as opposed to buying digital copies, and I don't have much spare cash, my collection is now mainly digital. I have literally thousands of digital albums o my hard drive. I also have storage binders like those in the picture and they are practical, but that still leaves the issue as to where to store the cases.

I find that with the digital collection, if I download something and then don't like it, it's a lot easier psychologically to delete than if I'd bought the CD - I just can't throw or give CDs away. The digital collection is a lot easier to manage, and I can make playlists, easily find and select albums to listen to, though there is still something more special about having the CD. I think that it could work with DVDs, too.

Good idea. Thanks :) 

The only thing is Nes is that I'm a bit of a control freak, so if I have them all on a hard-drive, my mind will be like "what if the hard-drive fails or crashes and you lose them all!?" (that's why I don't like online streaming services like Netflix I have to have the physical copy for my peace of my mind) so I always have to have a plan A, B and C for me to control my anxiety (I'm a glass half full type of person maybe due to my Aspergers). I suppose I could back up the hard-drive twice.. but it is a lot more expensive than just buying another DVD if it fails. I suppose if there's a fire in my house I would lose them all anyway so a hard-drive is easy to grab and take with me.. 

I suppose I need to do something otherwise I'm just going to be accumulating DVD's, CD's and books constantly as more get released. I might keep the in-lays for the DVD's and recycle the cases for the new DVD's I get.

Books are fine as I have brought a treasure chest to house my books, an old-style wooden one.

I have a CD rack for music CD's but don't mind music on a hard-drive as it's different to a DVD as a DVD will tell you about the story on the back, has a nice picture, the extra bonus content on the discs etc.

Edited by Roxy
  • Helpful 1

Roxy

I'd rather still have them in DVD binders (if I had to choose a compromise) rather than having them only in digital form. Otherwise I will have to get rid of my whole DVD collection as I can't just stop collecting if I already have a large collection lol I can't do such half-measures it's 100% one way or the other ! maybe that's just me or how my Aspergers is black and white thinking I don't know.. 

I could keep the inlays for the picture, synopsis of the movies in a draw or box.

Nobody is forcing me to get rid of them, but I feel people judge me badly because of it..

Edited by Roxy

Harrow

I used to have the same problem, I like collecting things, at one point I had almost a thousand books. But then life got turned upside down and I lost all my possessions. 

Which didn't actually hurt as badly as I thought it was going to, but anyhow now I have three rules before I get something, 

1. Am I going use it more then once, (watch it read it, etc) 

2. Am I going learn everything about it and am able to use it properly (I like collecting gadgets and tools) 

3. Have I got space for it. 

And I try follow those rules, eg Sherlock Holmes which I've read hundreds of times I have a copy of. But 12 years a slave which I just read once and probably will never read again I only have digitally. 

Also I like showing my collection of things eg movies or books off so I always try build a special place for them a bookshelf for my books or a nice cabinet for my movies or just nice decorated boxes for my comics. 

Not that I don't mess up a lot, the above mentioned Sherlock Holmes I have three copies of and an extra copy of the Hound of the Baskerville just because I liked how the different copies looked (covers etc) 

And my movie collection I have every James Bond movie even though I only like a few just because I want the whole collection and it felt incomplte without them (still never watched) 

But anyhow that's how I try control my collections or manage it. 

• Helpful 3

Nesf
58 minutes ago, Roxy said:

"what if the hard-drive fails or crashes and you lose them all!?"

Yes, you would definitely need to have a back-up copy of the files. I have a back-up copy of all my files. I did once have a hard disc crash, but I was able to recover or replace them.

CDs also come with a lot pf pictures/artwork, as well as a booklet with the lyrics and other information which you don't always get if you download a digital copy. There are definitely some advantages to hard copies that are lost with digital ones.

• Helpful 1

collectingrocks

Har har, your post did tickle me Roxy :lol:

I don't know about DVD's (as I don't own many) but I have a couple hundred CD's (in their original cases) on two bookcases and about 1,092,675,987 digital photographs stored on portable hard drives (2 copies) + 100 albums of older 35mm prints. I would love to print all of my digital photographs but obviously would need a large warehouse to store them :lol:

Myrtonos

I should note that C.Ds and D.V.Ds are digital. And when physical copies were the only copies one could buy, one often had to buy them in order to listen to all of what's on them, so getting to listen to them is an incentive to buy them.