Miss Chief

Donald Trumps Son; Barron - ASD?

Miss Chief

I came across this video:

Now normally I would tell them to leave the poor boy alone, he is probably bored and uncomfortable not to mention tired from being paraded about on the long campaign. However, I do admit from a purely observation perspective he does seem to display rather a lot of ASD traits (one they don't seem to mention in the video is the eye movement and he seems to be trying to avoid eye contact).

Also, since they were actually defending Barron against criticism that he is rude and other generalised bullying on social media, by bloody adults no less! Really? Is that the world we live in now? Where adults can bully children without any fear of reprisal or reprimand?! Anyway, given all that, I thought I would give them the benefit of the doubt and I watched the video to the end.

Don't get me wrong Trump's stance on vaccines and autism is unfortunate (perhaps even terrifying) but maybe it makes a bit more sense if his son is on the spectrum, perhaps, he desperately needs to believe that it was caused by a vaccine and not something he inherited.

However, the actual reason I posted this here is... I am thinking there could be an up side to this, not that I am in anyway glad that Barron might be on the spectrum, but if he's on the spectrum then his father will have a good understanding of what that means and what the needs of people on the spectrum are and so perhaps he will introduce policies that are friendly to the rest of America's ASD population?

Dr-David-Banner

It may or may not be true. What's slightly worrying though is the rumours of AS extend to Trump himself. So now we have Trump, Trump's son and Vladimir Putin all on the autism spectrum. What puzzles me is all these people seem to have cruised through life with no apparent social handicap. In the case of Hitler maybe I'm more persuaded as he had huge temper rages and was only close to his dogs (not humans).

HalfFull

Indeed if Barron is Autistic, he should not be hounded for it, but it will be interesting if Autism happens to be one issue that Mr Trump actually gets right.

Also as for talk of world leaders having Autism, quite a few have been speculated, but its always been very hypothetical. I think cracks would show if that ever really was the case.

Whoknows

If he's got it, then let's hope he doesn't turn out as his father. :mellow:

Dr-David-Banner

These days every celebrity has Aspergers. Yet they are popular and respected with happy marriages. Whereas Hans Anderson and Tesla were publically ridiculed. I do suspect Paul McCartney's son has Aspergers and there is also the family trauma to maybe justify the assumption. He was estranged for a while from the family and has blown most of his interviews. I don't know enough about Trump Junior to voice an opinion but now his "pop" is being diagnosed with AS as well.

Sanctuary

As regards whether someone has AS I would prefer to restrict this to people who've been officially diagnosed or have made public their own self-diagnosis (accepting the point that both official and self-diagnoses may not be accurate). I think it's best not to speculate about whether someone has AS, often based on limited evidence. This is even more difficult in terms of historical figures. I would be very surprised if any national leaders, past or present, had AS as attaining such positions requires social networking skills that people with AS usually lack.

Dr-David-Banner

I have a theory that Jewish people on the spectrum seem to do far better. It's a fact that multiple Jewish people on the spectrum have enjoyed considerable social success on the basis of outstanding talent. They seem to bypass the disadvantages of the condition due to success in career. Einstein too seemed to have AS without the negative traits like excessive depression. Eventually like Hans Anderson he became socially respected but had been rejected by academic institutions. I agree though that the norm is to be marginalised for most of us. My problem is I relate so poorly to other people I have little chance of ever becoming a manager or accepted - the norm is to be considered irrelevant.

Eliza

After watching this video I felt really sad. Is this how NTs talk about us?

The vaccine debate shows how gullible Trump is (Just my opinion). But, yes, the kid appears to be one of us.

lifeis
On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:58 AM, Dr-David-Banner said:

It may or may not be true. What's slightly worrying though is the rumours of AS extend to Trump himself. So now we have Trump, Trump's son and Vladimir Putin all on the autism spectrum. What puzzles me is all these people seem to have cruised through life with no apparent social handicap. In the case of Hitler maybe I'm more persuaded as he had huge temper rages and was only close to his dogs (not humans).

exactly. I couldn't agree more. While some aspies overcome the social problems to an extent, there still there. Some people gain power through sheer luck or family contacts but I feel like AS is just being used as a way for NT's to distance themselves from anyone who they perceive as bad/wrong. In time people will start assuming everyone who's different to them must have AS. They need to realize there's good and bad people in all groups and that there are many thing that can produce some similar differences in behaviour to having AS (abuse, brain damage, ptsd, clinical depression etc). Lastly I absolutely hate how its becoming "cool" for people with no idea what its like to have AS or frankly struggle with any real world problems to advertise themselves as having aspergers just to make themselves different/have some sort of identity. I'm not referring to people on this site as self diagnosis can be the first step to medical diagnosis and nobody I'm referring to would come on a support forum as they just want to advertise their new found "specialness" to their pre existing social groups.

Dr-David-Banner

I dug about on this at 3.00 am (as you do) and this rumour was started by Rosie O Connel (whoever she is). Someone who Trump had insulted. That's how the speculation started. She's not a psychologist. Not to say the boy might be ruled out for AS but the fact he was restless and bored isn't a definitive diagnosis.
Also I happen to think there is little understanding of autism symptoms because we're judged on a reference point of normality. We're supposed to develop along the same lines and same tempo as the collective "others". If we don't we have a "developmental disorder". That's true but only when referenced to some accepted basis of normality.