Paul Hostler

Aggresive and destructive behavior in aperger children

Ben

Not being left alone, when I REALLY needed to be left on my own to process my thoughts was probably my biggest trigger. Personal space is 9 on a scale of 10, and if you pressure an autistic child in an already stressful situation - (when they've had no time to process, piece together and rationalise their thoughts) is pretty much asking for a one way ticket to a BIG meltdown. If the child is upset, let them come to you, do NOT go to them if they withdraw. It'll be a disaster. 

Remember, it's NOT personal. It's simply a defensive reaction. It's often mistaken for anger, even by professionals, when it really isn't. (Think along the lines of fright and flight. It's impulsive.) 

I have to say though, that if you're ever asked a question that you don't really know how to answer, then the best response is "I don't know". The one asking the question should be the one doing the research, not you. 

Edited by Ben

Little Guy
On 1/12/2017 at 10:50 AM, Paul Hostler said:

aggressive and destructive

All of above...
Also, abuse can also be a possibility: physical, psychological(bullying), sexual or all three.
Possibly by a sibling, friend, and/or adult.

Also "oppositional" as opposed to "aggressive" implies that he is rebelling against rather than attacking.
Suggest backing off as far as able.

Paul Hostler

Thanks again everybody!  Your ideas really helped me to clarify and add to my understanding of the problem. I met the parent and thanks to all of you was able to help them understand the situation better and give some ideas that may help to improve things.