Nesf

Breast Cancer

Asgardian
On 2/25/2017 at 8:23 AM, Nesf said:

My hair has fallen out, I'm almost bald :( It really freaked me out when I first looked in the mirror, but now I'm getting used to it. I wear a cap to cover up my head when go out.

My biggest problem is that my scalp is extremely sensitive and hurts when I touch it :(

I am sorry to hear this, Nesf. I don't really know what else to say, other than stay strong and remember we are all here for you.

Nesf
13 hours ago, Going home said:

Its interesting how we and others view a person when they look different.

I suppose it might be oddly liberating once used to no hair.

Hopefully your scalp will quickly desensitise once it gets used to not having the hair.

I often idly wonder how I would perceive people with a different hair style.

Looking at photos of people I knew (men with long hair) in the 70s, compared to how they are now is interesting

I wouldn't say that it's liberating. Perhaps it is for guys, but not for me. It's something normal for guys to lose hair as they get older, but more unusual for a woman not to have hair, and I feel that I need to cover my head so as not to attract negative attention to myself. I hate people staring at me. The hat makes my head permanently itchy.

RiRi

@Nesf I've not searched online, but have you tried searching up hats etc., for sensitive scalp or for people undergoing chemotherapy, etc. things like that. Sometimes I've searched stuff and I'm amazed by the stuff I can find. I hope you can find something to help you with this. 

I did a quick search right now googled something regarding sensitive scalp etc. but I couldn't find anything and then I got the idea of searching for wigs for someone undergoing chemotherapy and I found this: http://www.godivassecretwigs.com/wigs-for-cancer-patients/

There's a video at the bottom of that link 

I noticed that the lady putting the wig on, first puts a cap (I think maybe it's wig cap, I don't know) but I got the idea that maybe you could use this cap (if in case you aren't looking for a wig) and then put the beanie/hat on top of the cap? so that the hat/beanie doesn't affect/irritate your scalp so much. Anyway, I thought of suggesting to google something the other day, but I've been so busy lately that I hadn't been able to post. I hope you can find a solution. 

Nesf

@Live&LetLive Thank you for finding that. I don't want to wear a wig, but I think that finding something soft to wear between my scalp and the beanie is a good idea, or to find a beanie made of really soft material. I've always been particularly sensitive round the head and neck, I think because of my Asperger's.

benchFairy

Whilst I've not had any cancer of any kind, I have had a double mastectomy as a result of a build up of estrogen in my system when I was around 20 which required the surgery to rectify. I can relate to the feelings revolved around the operation and recovery process however not the cancerous side of it. 

Granted I am male and you being female would mean we have different views on the surgical removal element. I felt embarrassed, reluctant, alone - because of the impact it had on my life. It's not exactly the easiest thing to articulate as my circumstances are collectively a mess haha but I thought I'd share that on some level I can relate. 

I was hoping I'd become a man for the first time when I was 23. At 22 being told I was sterile was like a kick in the teeth. That itself put pressure on me obviously and contributed to my belief that I wasn't a manly man. For the record as people often teased me for it.. I am male, born male and will continue to be male. I started puberty at 22 after establishing that my testis didn't produce testosterone which was the cause for the imbalance in hormones resulting in the breast tissue build up among other issues. 

I was getting something I never had where as you would feel more like it is something that is being taken away. 

It's tough. Tougher if you feel your support network don't understand or can't understand. They try but without truly experiencing it first hand they can't really support effectively. Then again I wouldn't wish such an experience on an enemy let alone a friend. 

Probably useless comment here. Not the best at explaining stuff. 

Not a useless comment at all - and thanks for posting this! Takes a serious amount of courage and for that - You are AMAZING :)

Nesf

@benchFairy Thank you for posting that. My circumstances are different to yours, and I didn't have a mastectomy, I had a lumpectomy where only the tumour was removed, but I can imagine that a double mastectomy must have been a very difficult thing to go through, let alone the emotional trauma of it all. That must have taken a lot of courage. Stay strong!

Eliza

I somehow missed this post until now! So very sorry for the stress and discomfort you must be going through. Stay positive, this is the sort of thing the medical community is really good at curing. My prayers and love are with you.

Nesf
7 hours ago, Eliza said:

I somehow missed this post until now! So very sorry for the stress and discomfort you must be going through. Stay positive, this is the sort of thing the medical community is really good at curing. My prayers and love are with you.

Thank you :)

I really appreciate all the messages of support in this thread :)

TheWizardofCalculus
On 2/5/2017 at 5:39 PM, Nesf said:

I haven't been around here for a couple of months, because I was diagnosed with breast cancer, and have been struggling to cope. I have gone through hell with the anxiety, medical examinations and scans, hospital visits and a stay in hospital for surgery, and the general upheaval and disruption it has caused in my life. In two days time I have to have chemotherapy, and I'm extremely anxious about the drugs, especially Taxere, and their side effects.

I was wondering if anyone else has been through anything similar?

I'm sorry to hear that, Nesf.  I really hope that you get better soon!