Sign in to follow this  
Dr-David-Banner

What's Up With Isolation?

Dr-David-Banner

I think maybe I got to the stage where I think experience over the years taught me I relate far better to animals than to people. Also, if I'm honest, I don't want to fit in with or be a part of any social group. It''s very hard to explain, but the whole thing about success and status depending upon what other people think or value troubles me. I sort of grew up with my own values and don't want to try and be better than others, own more material things than others or take part in a system that somehow seems wrong. Sure I love to try and improve but not simply to make money or be better than the people next door.
It's not that I dislike all people. Some people I grew to like a lot but, despite that, I never really relate to the normal way of thinking. Plus, I struggle to find people anywhere who look beyond the very limited environment of work, money, family and the usual ambition to be valued. It seems there's a whole universe out there of scientific discovery (typically in space), yet nobody sees beyond the norm of simply existing.
In the original 1969 movie Planet Of The Apes, one of the astronauts stated he'd chosen to fly into outer space because he was fed up with the limitations of mankind and hoped to find something better.
The area where I live just expects everyone to work in warehouses or shops and get married. If you try and talk about anything apart from Facebook, football or relationships you just get odd looks. The problem for me is I'd rather just read a book or walk the dog.

Dr-David-Banner

This has been bothering me more and more. It bothered me so much, I did a gut-feeling Google search and typed, "humans are programmed robots". To my surprise, I came upon Prof Stephen Hawking's theory for which he was attacked by the establishment. I quote:
" Adams takes aim at famed physicist Stephen Hawking, author of the book "The Grand Design." In that book, Hawking claims that human beings are merely "biological machines" with no consciousness, no souls, no spirit, no mind and nothing but a collection of organized chemicals that run physical brains in a deterministic machine-like way. "
Hawking is right. In all honesty, my own experience is that people are programmed robots. For example, why do people feel that they "must" get up early to perform tasks? Why are they unable to divert from this compulsion that they ought to be doing something in a set pattern? Why do they call those of us who don't do the same "lazy"? Surely they are "programmed" to perform tasks but in a never ending cycle.
Here is something else. People claim to love partners, husbands and wives. However, I question the validity of these emotions. I came to see the "love" people claim they experience is merely conditional with roots in the need for either material or emotional support. This explains the never-ending cycle of divorces. Biologically, divorce doesn't matter so long as children are produced. The emotions behind these relationships are merely triggers to create reproduction.
There is more:
Have you noticed how easily you can throw a spanner in the works by dominating a conversation to challenge normal interaction? And how people react when you talk differently or think out of the ordinary? I find they become uncomfortable and even confused or offended.
As to the soul, surely Tesla had this nailed back in 1900. Our intelligence is merely reaction to stimulae. Our brains control our bodies. The thoughts of other people modulate our own thoughts, so we think the same way (unless we happen to be resistant). This can easily be demonstrated. The very fact Stephen Hawking has been attacked for his views is because it contradicts the "programmed" thinking of God and the soul.
Hawking has a really good point. The emotions people claim makes them the centre of the universe are merely chemical reactions in the brain, based on the need to survive and reproduce.
More evidence comes from the most ancient Sumerian texts that claims the gods (or astronauts) created humans merely to perform work.

Gone away
7 hours ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

More evidence comes from the most ancient Sumerian texts that claims the gods (or astronauts) created humans merely to perform work.

They would say that ... they needed a lot of manual skilled labourers

Peridot

I still think it's too simple to say that people are "merely" biological machines or whatever. Also the word "merely" implies that people are only worth so much...or something along those lines. It's just not the best word to use. Ultimately would be a better word to use.

Anyway, if it's true that people are "machines" then what would that mean when it comes to morality? Why respect, love, mourn a machine? If people are "nothing more than machines" then there'd be no shame in being depraved now would there? You could betray, insult, bully, rape, kill and no one would have a right to/it wouldn't make sense for anyone to criticize you for any of this because there would be nothing and no one...if the world was what you say it is where people are "merely" machines.

So it doesn't add up. It doesn't make sense. It's too simple.

"The Universe/Us is far more like a thought than a machine" 

not sure who I've quoted there but I put the Us bit in.. :)

Dr-David-Banner

More likely the behaviour of homo sapiens is in how two opposite poles balance. Plenty of people do rob and plunder, especially in times of war. Even so we evolved a knowledge of what's right and wrong based on the need to survive in tribes collectively.
I have thought about this a great deal, that is, people being programmed robots. I mean, to interact with the physical world you need a body. Pure intelligence may exist as a kind of metaphysical potential but only physical bodies can do physical work. And work is what people are programmed to do so to question the value of work is classed as lazy.
Consider how thought evolved. According to Tesla stimulae trigger responses. I notice my plants react to the direction of light (the stimulae). At a very basic level, the plants alter behaviour logically in the process of development. Insects build webs. Gradually a biological computer evolves to process thought. Yet people are incredibly vulnerable to the predominant group thought. Most lose the ability to analyse independently but choose to go along with the majority. Humans can develop thought viruses as easily as a Trojan worm can damage a PC. I view people as biological, programmed robots that pass on information as they die and evolve in steps. I think Stephen Hawking is correct although I didn't know he had come to this conclusion.

Dr-David-Banner

"The Universe/Us is far more like a thought than a machine"

I agree and it was probably Einstein.

Dr-David-Banner

Something I wondered about before: Why don't the people I see every day not just do something different? Like start to juggle oranges or stand on their hands? Or maybe do the splits on the spot. Yet, they never do. It's just the same routine and the same conversations and the same way of thinking to be exactly the same as everyone else. It's like watching a washing machine run through a pre-set program. Am I the only person here who positively suffers from trying to somehow engage in these boring, repetitive so-called social interactions? Ironically the art of social skills and "fitting in" now boils down to talking about family, work and relationships.

Nesf
6 hours ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

It's like watching a washing machine run through a pre-set program.

The term "brainwash" comes to mind. I agree that people can often seem like automated, unthinking machines on the set programme of social convention.

Dr-David-Banner

Living in Greece, you will know the ancient Greeks understood that manual work doesn't help the intellect. That was the excuse they used for using the Helots or, in Athens, having slaves.
Most people have families and jobs so they don't have the free time available to think, read and develop individuality. I think it's shame the likes of Duncan Smith and other upper class toffs have managed to brainwash the working classes to believe work is all important. I disbelieve this. Pity the students didn't get out into the streets to stop education being undermined. I think now what we see is a mass of automated, docile and submissive underlings who seemingly don't question decisions taken on their behalf. As Prof Hawking noted it seems as if an entire skilled intelligentsia just disappeared. I think also popular music asks like a barometer to reveal the advancement of society. Whereas in the late Sixties the population pushed leading bands to be more creative and experimental, now it's just swearing and American Rap over a drum machine.