Sign in to follow this  
Eliza

Oxytocin for Autism?

Eliza

I was reading about oxytocin, the 'love hormone' being given to autistics. This seems messed-up to me. What do you guys think??? Has anyone been prescribed oxytocin?  Did it benefit you?  It is given to treat social quirks. (Is socializing all NTs think about???) I'm really curious if anyone else is as offended as I am, or if you give the treatment a thumbs up?

Primeape

They usually give it to women to induce labour :mellow:

So it seems strange to me to let autistic people to take it 

Gone away

Any 'treatment' for autism is messed up.

Nesf
8 hours ago, Eliza said:

(Is socializing all NTs think about???)

I think a lot of the time, yes. They put a lot of value on being popular, so having an active social life and wide social network is important to most people. They measure social status in terms of popularity, so if someone doesn't value these, they are seen as defective and in need of repair.

Edit: I would never consider taking ocytocin.

Edited by Nesf

Eliza
7 hours ago, DebzMata08 said:

They usually give it to women to induce labour 

And to mothers, so they will 'love and cuddle' their children! Can you imagine? Do these doctors think we aspies are heartless robots? True, our fuse may be shorter than the average person, our touching and hugs may be shorter too, but seriously? It makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

Eliza
7 hours ago, Going home said:

Yes! The best 'cure' would be to love us and accept us for our uniqueness, the way God created us! 

Eliza
3 hours ago, Nesf said:

They measure social status in terms of popularity, so if someone doesn't value these, they are seen as defective and in need of repair.

And, for me anyway, this type of NT thinking twists up my mind, leaves me feeling 'less than' because I prefer to be alone rather than subject myself to any more rejection from them.

nichii

I think Autism itself doesn't need a cure or treatment, but if there's something that can reduce unwanted symptoms and allow a person on the spectrum to live a more comfortable life, then I'm all for it. I don't know if oxytocin can do that, but if it can then I wouldn't be against trying it possibly.

Asgardian
On 3/10/2017 at 8:23 AM, Going home said:

On 3/10/2017 at 3:41 PM, Eliza said:

Yes! The best 'cure' would be to love us and accept us for our uniqueness, the way God created us! 

I definitely agree with both of these points. People should accept that autism isn't a disease and doesn't need curing. Just like so many other people with various conditions and disabilities we are different and should be accepted and embraced because of those differences. But...

3 minutes ago, nichii said:

I think Autism itself doesn't need a cure or treatment, but if there's something that can reduce unwanted symptoms and allow a person on the spectrum to live a more comfortable life, then I'm all for it. I don't know if oxytocin can do that, but if it can then I wouldn't be against trying it possibly.

...I also agree with this point. It doesn't need curing, but exploring options for helping treat unwanted symptoms is surely a positive thing. In short, no to curing autism, yes to trying to help cope with the symptoms.

Eliza
47 minutes ago, nichii said:

think Autism itself doesn't need a cure or treatment, but if there's something that can reduce unwanted symptoms and allow a person on the spectrum to live a more comfortable life, then I'm all for it.

I totally agree; thank goodness for the progress made in helping us to be more comfortable. Also, I honor your opinion on taking oxytocin, even though I have a very different opinion. :) 

45 minutes ago, Asgardian said:

I definitely agree with both of these points. People should accept that autism isn't a disease and doesn't need curing. Just like so many other people with various conditions and disabilities we are different and should be accepted and embraced because of those differences. But...

...we've made progress, but still have a way to go before it actually happens on a person-to-person level. :)