Sign in to follow this  
Eliza

Are you motivated?

Eliza

There are so many goals I'd like to accomplish in life but I can't seem to get and stay motivated.

For example, I've had several small articles and short stories published over the years, but it's been a while. I have an idea for a novel, but longer pieces are so hard for me to finish. The details are so hard for me to organize in my mind, and I end up either giving up or not enjoying the finished project.

From what I've read, a lack of motivation is an aspie trait, but there are a lot of successful aspies who are able to break through this barrier

Any tips for getting and staying motivated? and is there any way to improve my poor executive functioning skills?

Peridot

Well, passion is like an inexhaustible energy source. If you dabble, you aren't truly obsessed which I think you need to be in order to get anywhere with something like a novel.

You really need to be obsessed to the point where you actually make sacrifices (or choices) and you wake up in the morning and get to work on it and then in the evening it's still in your mind sort of and you're tempted to get back to work but you realize you need to do the dishes and the laundry and you also need sleep...and then the next morning the first thing you do after breakfast is get back to work. It's gotta be kind of like that if you want to get anywhere.

As far as details being hard to organize in your mind... I think part of something like writing a novel is remembering dreams you've had. I also am inspired by dreams and I never have trouble remembering them. A comparison would be  Nevermind. I sometimes tend to get too specific. I think it's somewhat pointless to get all specific as when it comes to art, it's basically like a painter said namely that the artist needs to be his or her own best teacher. :unsure:

Eliza
5 minutes ago, Peridot said:

Well, passion is like an inexhaustible energy source. If you dabble, you aren't truly obsessed which I think you need to be in order to get anywhere with something like a novel.

Yes, we are quirky.

I'd like to hear more about your dream approach. Maybe it's just a matter of me stirring up the lost love of writing.

Peridot
1 hour ago, Eliza said:

Yes, we are quirky.

I'd like to hear more about your dream approach. Maybe it's just a matter of me stirring up the lost love of writing.

Well, where I was going with that (this was/is in response to the "organizing details in my head" thing) was that I think when novelists write they imagine things...which they don't have trouble remembering as it's like a dream. Or maybe a vacation? When you have a photo album with pictures you took whilst on a holiday and someone asks you about one of them, you don't have trouble remembering when that picture was taken, what the weather was like, what happened just before, what happend just after, how you felt that day and so on. The experience of the vacation is sort of memorized the same way as these (day)dreams that a lot of artists have, myself included.

However a novel is something else in a certain way than what I do namely music. The piece I'm working on now is four minutes long whereas a novel may be four hundred pages long. One author said he works a full year on one novel. That's the time it takes for him to complete it. A piece of music I write in about a week, you know? So there's in a way more to it.

I also think that writing has similarities to meditation. Where "you" kind of "get out of the way" or you "silence the mind" when you work. One artist said that he felt like a gardner who occasionally stepped in and trimmed a few branches but throughout most of the writing the tree so to speak grew on its own. We've got to jump in and go with the flow and let things happen.

I could go on like this but I don't want to write a book! :lol: I also wouldn't want to come across as if I'm talking down to you. Good luck. :)

Eliza
23 minutes ago, Peridot said:

I also wouldn't want to come across as if I'm talking down to you. Good luck. :)

Not at all, everything you said was quite beautiful.

I think you have connected-the-dots in my head for me. I love to daydream, but since it feels like a waste of time I have been avoiding it. Daydreaming out each scene I want to write may be the answer. Daydreaming can be so relaxing, and I can replay the scenes in my head--really get to know these characters. So simple, yet so profound. Thank you!

P.S. A year sounds about right. I've written five novels and each took about a year. Problem was, they weren't jelled enough, for lack of a better word. I think I will allow myself as much time as I need for this one.

Thanks again! :D

Nesf

I find it useful to break longer tasks into small chunks, and then focus on finishing one chunk at a time, so you have a long term goal broken down into a series of smaller, more manageable goals.

Also, set yourself daily targets - today I need to get to x point. Promise yourself treats and breaks - tell yourself that you can have a treat after an hour of work - a tea break or a piece of chocolate or something like that.