Kaygee

Do We Even Have Asperger's Anymore?

Kaygee

I heard it was getting taken off of the DSM as a diagnosis in May. Did that happen? If so, what do I have now?

Sofi

Yes, I think that's happened. Now, I think it's covered by 'Autistic Spectrum Disorder' officially. 

Mike_GX101

ASD has such a wide coverage though.  Asperger's Syndrome was meant to be the mild side (i.e. not like Rain Man).  Even AS has a 'spectrum' going from high functioning down to low functioning. 

I am failry high functioning in some areas but when it comes to important things like work and relationships I have to say I'm not so sure any more.  It was in work where it was first identified I might be on the spectrum so it is no coincidence that I find myself continuing to have difficulties in a new job I've just started.

Edited by Mike_GX101

HalfFull

One high-functioning Aspie I know once joked a couple of years ago that he likes the idea of being 'stripped' of his AS because he will then have the chance to be NT.

Not sure whether his comment was amusing or not. Whilst some people might not like 'labels', we all still have the same problems and its not half going to be ambiguous if everyone on the spectrum had the same diagnosis as it might not always be immediately obvious where someone falls on the spectrum without using common sense or guesswork.

Toran

They are forever changing diagnosis and what it means as somebody decides they need something new to define the same condition. I may be being criticle again but i do wonder what the benefits will be what the finacial differences are in relation to the new diagnosis and current rates.

Whoknows

Oh well, then I'll have to get ready for awkward. If there's no diagnosis, it can't be good.

mary

I don't really know how I feel about it... I guess in some ways it might be good, and some ways maybe not so good.

I guess it will be interesting to see how it affects things, and what it might change for those who get diagnosed.  It really is such a broad spectrum though, that perhaps it might confuse everyone for some time.

iggy

I can't remember if I read this or was told it, but I definitely heard somehow that psychologists are likely to continue using the term Aspergers to write about what symptoms people have, so although they would say an ASD in the diagnosis it may stay around longer.

I'm interested in what it will be like in 30+ years, when everyone has forgotten aspergers has existed. Maybe we will all just start saying I have an ASD instead,

Nesf

Using the term ASD on it's own wouldn't really say much about the person who has it because people with symptoms of widely varying severity will have the same diagnosis, so if you say, "X has ASD", then what does it really mean? How high functioning are they? How does it effect them? The term ASD alone tells us that they are on the autistic spectrum, but not much else. They would have to be a way to differentiate, and describe individuals. So i think that the terms Asperger's, HFA, LFA, etc, will continue to be used for that very purpose.

And then, for example, in 10 years time I need to go to the doctors. I'm abroad, and they don't have my medical records, or I need to fill in medical forms. What should I say? I have AS? That doesn't exist anymore. I have ASD? I haven't actually been diagnosed with this, and the diagnostic criteria are slightly different.

And will the medical records be automatically updated to ASD without further assessment? Apparently further asessment isn't necessary. It's possible that you could have met the criteria for AS and not for ASD, where the criteria are different, or you could meet the criteria for the new Social Communication Disorder, and not ASD, so what will I have? We are told that we won't lose our diagnosis, but I really don't now how that will work in practice.