Kaygee

Do We Even Have Asperger's Anymore?

Xmas

Yes this can be quite confusing, and I have to admit it has been the cause of some anxiety for me as I am in the middle of referrals at the moment - I have an appointment to see a psychiatrist next week.

Maybe I should not worry too much because whether I get a diagnosis or not, it will not make much of a difference in my life. I think the only difference it would make to me is with regards to my job. I have social anxiety and sensory issues which have an impact on my work. I have recently returned to work after a three months absence, and after only three days there I can already feel a decline starting to set in. I believe a diagnosis would help because it gives me a reason as to why these things are happening to me.

I think what also concerns me is that because in medical terms, my symptoms - for want of a better word - are probably quite mild in the grand scale of things, I am afraid I am going to slip under the radar again.

Nesf

Yes this can be quite confusing, and I have to admit it has been the cause of some anxiety for me as I am in the middle of referrals at the moment - I have an appointment to see a psychiatrist next week.

Maybe I should not worry too much because whether I get a diagnosis or not, it will not make much of a difference in my life. I think the only difference it would make to me is with regards to my job. I have social anxiety and sensory issues which have an impact on my work. I have recently returned to work after a three months absence, and after only three days there I can already feel a decline starting to set in. I believe a diagnosis would help because it gives me a reason as to why these things are happening to me.

I think what also concerns me is that because in medical terms, my symptoms - for want of a better word - are probably quite mild in the grand scale of things, I am afraid I am going to slip under the radar again.

A diagnosis is given when it has a significant impact on your life, so if your feel that it's affecting your work it might be worth getting it and you could benefit from it in terms of coping better, but I also think it's a good idea to get advice from the psychiatrist about this, and anyway you wouldn't necessarily be diagnosed with ASD just yet because AS is still in the ICD for the time being, it would depend on those assessing you. I was dignosed according to the DSM so this issue definitely affects me, and I do kind of feel in limbo abot it now.

Toran

Oh well, then I'll have to get ready for awkward. If there's no diagnosis, it can't be good.

Just understand what your dealing with in your own life how many times do we have to be let down before we realise their opinions dont matter. I wanted a label but will it change my life no will I get benefits no will it make people like me more no will it stop my current problem of anger with the world for not careing no. What was the question ahhh yea no it wont be good so why worry once you leave the docs do they go home no. Last year 695 people were kept in police cells in my area who had diagnosed mental illnesses because there was no hospital beds even for attempted suicide patients they were locked up in a police cell on release from hospital who cares noone cares.

Xmas

A diagnosis is given when it has a significant impact on your life, so if your feel that it's affecting your work it might be worth getting it and you could benefit from it in terms of coping better, but I also think it's a good idea to get advice from the psychiatrist about this, and anyway you wouldn't necessarily be diagnosed with ASD just yet because AS is still in the ICD for the time being, it would depend on those assessing you. I was dignosed according to the DSM so this issue definitely affects me, and I do kind of feel in limbo abot it now.

Thanks for that advice, and yes you are right because work is everything. I don't want to lose my job, but if I can't cope and keep taking time off I will lose it. With a diagnosis, I would probably have more support from those I work with. But to be fair, since I have returned to work my supervisor has been exceptional, over and above what anyone would expect.

Yes you must be feeling in limbo at the moment, but I keep thinking that surely if someone has a diagnosis it can't be taken away, even if you were in another country. But I can understand your dilemma it must be really unsettling for you all, and I really feel for you.

mary

Thanks for that advice, and yes you are right because work is everything. I don't want to lose my job, but if I can't cope and keep taking time off I will lose it. With a diagnosis, I would probably have more support from those I work with. But to be fair, since I have returned to work my supervisor has been exceptional, over and above what anyone would expect.

Yes you must be feeling in limbo at the moment, but I keep thinking that surely if someone has a diagnosis it can't be taken away, even if you were in another country. But I can understand your dilemma it must be really unsettling for you all, and I really feel for you.

Hi Xmas... I'm sorry to hear you are having difficulties at work, or with work.  Is it the actual work that is the issue causing you to need to take the time off?  Have you had a good discussion with your supervisor?  it sounds like they are being quite accommodating.

I'd caution you to be careful if you do get an official diagnosis, if you've not mentioned the prospect of this to your supervisor already, as some people do not have the reaction you may think they will.  Unfortunately for me it went 'tits up' so to speak when I divulged my diagnosis and I'm now stuck dealing with the aftermath.  That's not to say that divulging wouldn't be right for everyone else, I'm just saying be careful!

Toran

Hi Xmas... I'm sorry to hear you are having difficulties at work, or with work.  Is it the actual work that is the issue causing you to need to take the time off?  Have you had a good discussion with your supervisor?  it sounds like they are being quite accommodating.

I'd caution you to be careful if you do get an official diagnosis, if you've not mentioned the prospect of this to your supervisor already, as some people do not have the reaction you may think they will.  Unfortunately for me it went 'tits up' so to speak when I divulged my diagnosis and I'm now stuck dealing with the aftermath.  That's not to say that divulging wouldn't be right for everyone else, I'm just saying be careful!

You have done nothing wrong you did the right thing and told them if they dont like it or there is a problem sod them give as good as you get oakers its not nice granted but if they want to upset you for something out of your make there life as bad as they are making yours. Used to think being nice was good not so sure anymore if they have a go have a go back why should your life be full of bad and they live happy while having a go at you. Give them hell.

mary

You have done nothing wrong you did the right thing and told them if they dont like it or there is a problem sod them give as good as you get oakers its not nice granted but if they want to upset you for something out of your make there life as bad as they are making yours. Used to think being nice was good not so sure anymore if they have a go have a go back why should your life be full of bad and they live happy while having a go at you. Give them hell.

How exactly does that make for a good working life?  You can't be having a go at your line manager's and bosses all the time, nor can you be the same way with colleagues.

I was merely pointing out to Xmas that it might be something to think about.  I took advice about telling work, and did so... and found out that people didn't react in perhaps the way I had thought they might.

Only now, months later, do I feel like I'm getting somewhere and that's after being literally forced into time off due to the stress in which it caused.  Believe me, if I could turn back the hands of time, there is no way I'd have divulged my diagnosis to work.  In fact, if I could go back, I don't know that I'd have even gone ahead with the diagnosis at all sometimes.  Whilst some have been great about it, the ones that could cause me the most upset are the ones that didn't take favourably to the information.

Saying 'give them hell' doesn't really translate in the work place, no offence.  There is a hierarchy and if you're seen to be bucking the system you are looked down upon and in a poor light.  All I want to do is go to work and do a bloody good job, something which I believe I've done all my working life, in any job I've done.  I'm just fed up of people causing me grief whilst I'm trying to do it.

Toran

How exactly does that make for a good working life?  You can't be having a go at your line manager's and bosses all the time, nor can you be the same way with colleagues.

I was merely pointing out to Xmas that it might be something to think about.  I took advice about telling work, and did so... and found out that people didn't react in perhaps the way I had thought they might.

Only now, months later, do I feel like I'm getting somewhere and that's after being literally forced into time off due to the stress in which it caused.  Believe me, if I could turn back the hands of time, there is no way I'd have divulged my diagnosis to work.  In fact, if I could go back, I don't know that I'd have even gone ahead with the diagnosis at all sometimes.  Whilst some have been great about it, the ones that could cause me the most upset are the ones that didn't take favourably to the information.

Saying 'give them hell' doesn't really translate in the work place, no offence.  There is a hierarchy and if you're seen to be bucking the system you are looked down upon and in a poor light.  All I want to do is go to work and do a bloody good job, something which I believe I've done all my working life, in any job I've done.  I'm just fed up of people causing me grief whilst I'm trying to do it.

No I dont take offence at that you have to do what you feel is right. You said you wish you never had been diagnosed which means because of their treatment of you in the first place what you have been through. So no matter how you feel they made you feel that way because you have a recognised condition.

You said you cant say that to the boss etc but thats how they treated you and how many others who have gone to them with medical issues that others have been desperate to keep quiet but because of it they feel as you do.

So only fit and healthy people can work at your location then? If there was no issue with management having problems with disabled employees why did you have such a hard time unless you were wrong and somehow brought their concerns upon yourself by your behavour. I dont think you would do that so why have you had problems just because you have aspergers? Whats the reason when your good at your job? If there is no valid reason you can say yes they are right because I have done this or that wrong why have they done it too you?

Unless there is a valid reason to say your unfit or wrong for the job they are bullying you and if you let a bully get away with it they see you as a soft touch and will pick on you again in the future. Isnt that what a bully does? And unless you have given them good reason its bullying unless they can prove your unfit to work there.

How do you see not fighting back is going to help you there unless you are in the wrong somehow you cant appease a bully they always want more be it in the playground or boardroom. They just use different methods but the victim who has done nothing wrong is still suffering.

Ive been a goody goody just means your cannon fodder for them it dont work anymore .

mary

No I dont take offence at that you have to do what you feel is right. You said you wish you never had been diagnosed which means because of their treatment of you in the first place what you have been through. So no matter how you feel they made you feel that way because you have a recognised condition.

You said you cant say that to the boss etc but thats how they treated you and how many others who have gone to them with medical issues that others have been desperate to keep quiet but because of it they feel as you do.

So only fit and healthy people can work at your location then? If there was no issue with management having problems with disabled employees why did you have such a hard time unless you were wrong and somehow brought their concerns upon yourself by your behavour. I dont think you would do that so why have you had problems just because you have aspergers? Whats the reason when your good at your job? If there is no valid reason you can say yes they are right because I have done this or that wrong why have they done it too you?

Unless there is a valid reason to say your unfit or wrong for the job they are bullying you and if you let a bully get away with it they see you as a soft touch and will pick on you again in the future. Isnt that what a bully does? And unless you have given them good reason its bullying unless they can prove your unfit to work there.

How do you see not fighting back is going to help you there unless you are in the wrong somehow you cant appease a bully they always want more be it in the playground or boardroom. They just use different methods but the victim who has done nothing wrong is still suffering.

Ive been a goody goody just means your cannon fodder for them it dont work anymore .

It is only a couple of people who have made things especially difficult.  If I was to behave in the manner in which you suggest I think I'd find myself in the dole queue.  It's not 'acceptable' for a member of staff to openly stick up for themselves, whether they are being bullied or not.  There are channels which you have to go through, which I have been doing... but it's not as simple and cut and dry as you like to make out.

I am sorry, at times, that I went ahead with the diagnosis as I now feel that it was an 'easy' way out for certain members of staff to explain why there are certain issues at work.  I have not done anything that is in any way remotely seen as this being justified treatment. 

Toran

Its been said before here oakers but if you ever got another job now you have to tell them you have been diagnosed by law otherwise when they find out they can sack you and you have no rights you lied to them.

But will an employer take you on knowing your on the Autistic spectrum? There is always an excuse for them you just were not what they were looking for.

I havent been diagnosed yet and could say no I wont be because of the problems.

I guess im saying its up to the likes of you and me to make people listen that being autistic doesnt mean we cant work or cant be valued in the workplace. Im putting nobody down on the site but there are people here that wouldnt have a chance in a workplace environment or dealing petty officials but you can and me and certain others here too.

There are those all over the country who are in fear of the work place and benefits system that they wont get any benefits and be told they are fit for work.

Im going ahead with my diagnosis and if they say I have it like I think I have then its time to step up and be heard.

Being the quiet kick my ass spiritulist hasnt work because they just laugh at you. Im still a spiritulist but mess with me and ive got teeth is my attitude now.Ive gone over this many times and people have said being spiritual doesnt mean you dont have rights and cant defend yourself dont look for trouble but if it comes deal with it in the principles of humanity and if there are those that dont like treating people with decency and respect go for them.

Im still in transition so maybe im not word perfect but you get the ideal.