Sign in to follow this  
MrGrey

My problems with this shirt

MrGrey

This picture popped up on my social media feed this morning:

13yjsd0.jpg

All is nice and cool until we get to the "fight against" part.  Fight against?  How do you fight against?  Or more importantly, WHY fight against it?  Are we labeling it as something bad?  I mean, if you fight against something is because it's bad.  So this shirt create the "awareness" that "autism is bad" and we must "fight against it".  There's already enough discrimination as it is and now we gonna make t-shirts to further make people believe autism is bad?

Sanctuary

You're quite right. If it were somehow saying we should fight against the mistreatment and lack of support for people with autism that would make sense but it doesn't. Unfortunately this kind of shirt is just likely to reinforce stereotypes and discrimination.

Asgardian

Damn, that is just the kind of message autism doesn't need. The only fight regarding autism should be the fight for awareness and acceptance of autism, not the other way. Looking at it from a different angle, hopefully it is supposed to mean fighting against the struggles autism causes, though even so if true that is poorly worded and open to misunderstanding.

Ben

If I EVER see someone wearing that... 

I'll just laugh and call them a stupid c**t.

Gone away

Its all kicking off now on social media.
Autism awareness month were autistics are objectified and belittled so narcissistic charities can get more donations and bully more autistics.
Blue colours and jigsaws pieces really detract from the real struggles autistics face in modern society. 

I find it all a little sickening.

Dr-David-Banner

What is autism? Is it defective development? Is it slowness in learning? Is it withdrawel. Or is it a stronger sense of self? Few laymen could define it I guess. Indeed, does the shirt intend to say struggle against that which fails to help those who are marginalised. Kind of vague really.

Nesf

I agree. Autism is not some sort of disease we need to fight against, like cancer. Autistic people shouldn't be seen as putting society in danger, but as valued members of society and a valuable part of the diverse range of people who make up society.

Ben
12 hours ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

What is autism? Is it defective development? Is it slowness in learning? Is it withdrawel. Or is it a stronger sense of self? Few laymen could define it I guess. Indeed, does the shirt intend to say struggle against that which fails to help those who are marginalised. Kind of vague really.

My definition? 

NT's = The FM frequency or DAB radio.

ASD = The AM frequency or even (particularly in my case) pirate radio. 

One is linear and 'mainstream' and on a level everybody understands.The other is off the wall and not so 'easy access' for the rest of society.

Is it a disability? No. Is it a different channel? Er... That's probably more like it. (Key word there: different. Not better or worse.)

The problem? The majority will always have its way, thereby excluding anything different and not on that same linear wavelength as everybody else. The REAL rat hair in the oatmeal is society's love for the dreaded comfort zone. People on the whole like to feel safe and unchallenged - sad but true, (for the vast majority.) Any deviation to that gets stigmatised and given a wide berth. 

Think about it, when a person with Down's Syndrome approaches you and tires to start a conversation, how do you feel? Most would say uncomfortable. Why? Because it's challenging and not 'everyday' or mainstream. But in that situation, who's the one with the ACTUAL problem? It isn't the one with the DEFINED disability. It's you. Because you're the one taking issue with it. (Just for the sake of argument.) 

Fear, comfort, ignorance and close mindedness - those are the REAL disabilities as a human race that we need to be looking at. If we can get past all of those, then everything else will fall into place. No need for dodgy charities or diversity campaigns, because it'll all go without saying. (No brianer really!) 

Edited by Ben

Eliza

The closer I examine this shirt, the more it offends me.

Why don't they use their brains and let autistics design the shirts?

Gone away
21 hours ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

What is autism?

One thing it isn't is different wiring in the brain. Don't know about anyone else, but there are no wires in my head

Edited by Going home