Nesf

Autism test "How Autistic Are You?"

Nesf

I have just come across this autism test featured on the Channel 4 site, it's similar to the AQ quotient test but with different questions. It is divided into categories, for each of which a separate score is given: sensory perception, social interaction, organisation and routine, and autism spectrum quotient. It also tells you how your results compare with the general population who took the test, and with autistic people who took the test. It gives scores for both ale and female participants. It appears that Channel 4 are making a documentary on autism.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/how-autistic-are-you

My scores:

Sensory perception: 22/30

Social interaction: 0/20 (actually I answered "slightly agree" or "slightly disagree" to a lot of these (and others in other categories) because although I have difficulties, I do have some social skills - but the test makes no distinction between "slightly agree/disagree" and "strongly agree/disagree" in calculating its scores.

Organisation and routine: 20/20 - I'm very detail - orientated and curious about the world around me, love learning, love facts and statistics, and have a natural tendency to categorise, not good at switching attention.

Autism Spectrum Quotient: 10/10.

I took it too.. Got full marks... 30/30 across the board.. My wife got 2/30... 

I seem to have done it wrong somehow.. Missed some of it somewhere. 

I only got an overall score at the end?

Nesf
43 minutes ago, ....... said:

I took it too.. Got full marks... 30/30 across the board.. My wife got 2/30... 

I seem to have done it wrong somehow.. Missed some of it somewhere. 

I only got an overall score at the end?

That's strange. I didn't get an overall score out of 30, but the results that I posted.

Edit: The only score out of 30 is sensory perception.

Edited by Nesf

Gone away

I got 10, but find these things hard ... ie: making comparative judgements.

I don't really know how I can compare myself to NT if I don't know what they are thinking or what they sensing.

I imagine one would need to be very socially hooked in, but even that would likely skew the results as one would probably be masking if having alot of contact.

I have very little social contact am so not in a position to compare.

I think it would be interesting if someone came up with a 'how nuerotypical are you?'

ZACKandATTACK

Sensory perception: 19/30

Social interaction: 1/20

Organisation and routine: 5/20 

Autism Spectrum Quotient: 8/10

Some of the social interaction questions didn't really apply to me. Some of them were about friends, but my only friends are online and we normally don't talk about super personal business.

Nesf
1 hour ago, Going home said:

I got 10, but find these things hard ... ie: making comparative judgements.

I don't really know how I can compare myself to NT if I don't know what they are thinking or what they sensing.

I had this difficulty, too. Some of the questions were problematic and hard to answer. And I have no idea what people think of me or how they perceive me, if they don't tell me directly. Also, I don't know if I can tell the difference between two different coins on my palm if I don't try.

Sanctuary

An interesting test - thanks for flagging it up Nesf. My scores were:

Sensory 9 / 30;

Social 0 / 20;

Organisation 11 / 20

Overall 8 / 10

I would add the caveat that it's always difficult answering such questions and real life outcomes are much more nuanced. My sensory score doesn't seem to fit the "typical" AS profile (unless that could include people who are hyposenstive as well) but there are occasions when I am more aware of issues with taste, smell and so on. On the whole I don't feel for example I have a very sensitive palate but I don't experiment much with what I eat so it's hard to tell. When I do try new brands it's often with things I like such as chocolate and coffee and I always like these but with food I'm less keen on I would probably notice small differences. I don't really have any of the sensory difficulties many with AS report except for some related to taste. In the social arena I fit the profile more strongly but even then I can feel socially comfortable occasionally in the right company. The test is useful for raising awareness but it shows the importance of exploring the nuances to get a better sense of whether an AS diagnosis fits the bill.

A quick additional point. I do feel it is useful that the scales provide figures for the population as a whole and also distinguish between the figures for males and females. These distinctions give a broader sense of perspective and are particularly relevant when we talk in terms of a spectrum.

Edited by Sanctuary
Additional point

Harrow

Sensory Organisation I got 19/30

Social Interaction I got 9/30

Organization and Routine I scored 18/20

And Autism Spectrum I got 7/10

Catman2018

Here are my results:

Sensory Organization: 23/30

Social Interaction: 2/20

Organization and routine: 14/20