TheDefended

Sexuality and Aspies?

TheDefended

I am curious if any of you amongst the Aspie community can tell me if we learn out sexual orientation differently? I know Tony Attwood actually discussed this in one of his books, but I am curious of you guys thoughts?

My Story: I am 20 years old and I'm currently going through a stage where I am confused on my sexuality and standing with no label. When I was growing up, living in a house with 2 other males, Heterosexual was the only answer and I grew up thinking it was the only option. I actually WAS slightly Homophobic, because I didn't understand homosexuality on a natural scale, I believed being gay defied the laws of nature (I've never been religious either). Today, I am open minded and to be honest, I am proud of that gay people have accomplished. Most recently, I've been learning about who I really am and who I've been hiding away for 20 years. I am curious if we (aspies) struggle more to define our orientation compared to neurotypicals.

For 20 years, I've been conforming to societies norms, expectations and ignoring who I can be. I want to be who I am without judgements and criticisms. It's a journey I am finally ready for. Where it'll lead is unsure, but I'm content.

If anyone can provide their thoughts, idea, opinions on the topics in question. Feel free :)

Miss Chief

I think you are what you are (irrelevant of AS)... I don't think your orientation changes in life (for anyone), although perhaps your acceptance of it can change. If you are attracted to men then I would assume you always have been but you just didn't want to be/admit it until now. Certainly that is what it sounds like from your post.

Personally I am a heterosexual woman, I have always been this way and while I have no objection to what anyone else does with whomever (even multiple people) as long as it involves consenting adults, I have no interest in or curiosity about lesbian/bi for myself (I am not what people now call fluid).

• Helpful 3

TheDefended

Take Note before reading: I sometimes can word things differently than I actually mean it. So, please excuse me.