RiRi

I thought that older people were supposed to be...

Eliza
17 hours ago, AugustGrace said:

And I wished I had an autistic card so I could tell them to sit me in the quiet area. 

What you experienced is ageism. Next time, be bold, just tell them you prefer to sit with the quieter people. You're paying them to be there, and their job is to make you comfortable. Also, you can get an autism/Aspergers card online for free or for a small fee simply by applying for one.  

RiRi
3 hours ago, Eliza said:

What you experienced is ageism. Next time, be bold, just tell them you prefer to sit with the quieter people. You're paying them to be there, and their job is to make you comfortable. Also, you can get an autism/Aspergers card online for free or for a small fee simply by applying for one.  

Where can I apply for the card?

And you're right that I experienced ageism (from behalf of the workers). 

Edited by AugustGrace

Eliza

Here's a link to the one I got. It was free back then. I don't know if they charge now, but most cards are around 2$ to 10$:.

.http://www.aane.org/resources/wallet-card/

These are free, but you have to print yourself:

http://wayshelter.com/Toolbox/AlertCards.htm

http://www.medids.com/free-id.php

You can also check here:

http://www.justdigit.org/wallet-cards/

http://autismidcard.com/#contribution

RiRi

@Eliza Thank you for the links, I appreciate it. 

I would like to comment on the thread that I didn't meant for it to become an old people hate thread. I guess there's just been too many negative incidents with older people lately, or maybe I don't feel old enough yet. I'm surrounded by older folks, 30 and above, even where I live. I expected people to be nicer. But, sometimes I lose hope on humanity and just think the world is one fucked up place. 

And I know some people tend to be racist, or discriminate, but sometimes its not due to their age. I actually had an encounter with an older folk the other day and he seemed really nice, not racist at all. He even gave me a free book. It's just one out of 10 interactions with older folk though. :/ 

I know that youth isn't forever, I'll be there one day, and I shouldn't feel bad for getting older. If the person is a good person or tries to be, whether young or old, they will always have something to offer. 

Edited by AugustGrace

Dr-David-Banner

I always got a strong impression this is a young peoples' site. Partly because "school" often creeps up. Not that it was intended that way but I think compared to Wrong Planet, average age here is in the young range. In real life I do talk a lot mostly to female friends around 25 or so. They are actually very nice and hard-working but they were born in a totally different era. Just as a bit of a joke I asked one of the girls what the Capital of Argentina was and I had to smile. She said she didn't study geography so the question was below the belt. I replied I didn't see it as a geography question but more general current affairs. Anyway, in my day it was by far a higher standard of living. My friends wouldn't be in shops but probably painting figures in factories. For better wages. They could also have gone to uni for free with a grant and housing funding. People ate much better too. So, really I tend to be helpful and supportive as I think the younger generations have been let down. The only way they would know this would be to literally step into a Time Machine and walk about in 1969. They would see a shockingly higher standard of living and much more stability. The only down-side was the awful food and the boarding schools and mines. No internet of course and only 3 channels on TV. Therefore people were more active and went to parties or had real sex (also at parties).

Eliza
51 minutes ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

So, really I tend to be helpful and supportive as I think the younger generations have been let down.

I agree.My problem is I think I'm everyone's mother or grandma, lol. (Maybe a few of you will at least consider me an Auntie. :) ) I'm old and I just don't want to see young people make the same stupid mistakes I did.

It's a weird twist of showing that I care about you 'kids'.

Peridot
19 hours ago, ....... said:

i suppose you're a racist too? 

You have a big mouth, son.

StarlessEclipse
21 hours ago, Going home said:

I lot of older people would say the same about the younger generation ... I'm not agreeing or disagreeing just saying things look different depending on where one stands

To clarify, I wasn't suggesting that these behaviours are necessarily more prevalent amongst the aged or people of any specific generation. My point was that people with a lifelong predisposition towards that sort of behaviour are given an excuse to engage in it and increased chances of getting away with it by the "respect your elders" culture that exists.

Cults only matter if you subscribe to them - so if you say, we live in a 'Respect your elders' CULTure then thats what youre in. 

I don't respect anyone for being older but do respect them for being alive. Live... 

@Dr-David-Banner totally agree - i would hat to be young today. Kids today are in a mess. Gratitude for bing born when i was. This generation are doomed and unless the adults realise whats going on - the parents are doomed too. Its then that'll be looked after by people who don't even know what depth of field is. They live in a 2d world and can't even tell the difference between up and down or backwards and forwards. This is always argued against by 99.9999999999999 percent of the population. I see it every day in my work. Kids are developing a totally different internal model, one that we cannot relate to, unless we understand our own mind. 

I make sure that kids who see me have a lovely time - fun and understanding. Its up to me to help them because its not their faults its the fault of their parents who are so clueless they don't even know they are born

@Peridot

It comes with being well over six foot tall and 16 stone.. Larger brain too LOL ...

Deep down - anyone who voted brexit is  inherently racist. They will say they are not, but if you watch them closely in the presence of other nationalities you'll see small tell tale signs that they don't want to be near a non brit... YUK