StarlessEclipse

Disability and the Conservative Party [IMPORTANT]

StarlessEclipse
4 hours ago, aspieguy said:

If I decide to vote, I'm definitely voting conservative and that's not changing. This is about more than just disabilities.

Thousands of innocent people - not unlike those who post on this very forum - have died and countless more are suffering immensely as a result of the Conservative Party's malicious and negligent policy decisions, and that's so trivial to you that it's made no impact upon your voting intention at all? My sister is autistic, epileptic and learning disabled. Are you happy to condemn people like her to death at the hands of a government hellbent on destroying the welfare system, the NHS and social care provision? Are you really so devoid of compassion and empathy?

The country needs political stability if they hope to get through brexit without the economy falling apart in the process.

A brisk and peaceful transition of power before the negotiations have even begun is far from what I'd call "political instability".

A change of leading party is about the worst thing that could happen right now.

For what reason?

aspieguy
7 hours ago, Sirius said:

A brisk and peaceful transition of power before the negotiations have even begun is far from what I'd call "political instability".

The UK is on the brink of losing important trade relations and the strength of its currency because of how politically unsettling leaving the EU is. Changing party, which inevitably results in a lot of other changes in the country's direction along with it, is only going to make this worse.

Asgardian

Someone with autism voting for the Tories is like a turkey looking forward to Christmas.

Ben

I honestly don't know what to to vote for anymore. In 2010 I voted Cameron because I was duped into the beleif that things where actually going to change. I read all of the policies from all of the eligible parties and made an informed choice. 

In 2015 I voted Cameron again - out of confusion more than anything, and I actually wanted to see what the man could do without the Lib Dems breathing down his neck. 

Now, I have absolutely no idea. Labour never really convinced me in 2005, and were a bit too liberal with the spending.

That said, in the days of Labour, you could actually survive as a student. I was paid £30 a week just for showing up, most courses were free, and I personally had a decent wedge of money coming in from DLA and weekend bar shifts ( back in the days when you could walk in and get a job there and then)

But, was all that worth it? We all struggled for a long time after 2009. 

Edited by Ben

Gone away
12 minutes ago, Ben said:

I honestly don't know what to to vote for anymore

I trust none of them. I think people will be fucked by whatever government of the day is, but by voting you can choose who will be doing it.

Its choosing the best of a bad bunch and sometimes (as now) its important to vote tactically. Thats why I am labour this year ... otherwise it might be the greens

Edit: Ooh, the swear filter is off ... thats refreshing ... will need to moderate my own coarseness  :D

Edited by Going home

StarlessEclipse
8 hours ago, aspieguy said:

Changing party, which inevitably results in a lot of other changes in the country's direction along with it, is only going to make this worse.

Why? You've stated this twice without really making an argument.

3 hours ago, Ben said:

That said, in the days of Labour, you could actually survive as a student. I was paid £30 a week just for showing up, most courses were free, and I personally had a decent wedge of money coming in from DLA and weekend bar shifts ( back in the days when you could walk in and get a job there and then)

But, was all that worth it? We all struggled for a long time after 2009. 

Labour's spending on public services did not cause the financial crisis. The Blair/Brown Labour Party did help to crash the economy, but only by failing to adequately regulate the financial sector, something the Tories also would’ve done had they been in power at the time, only to an even greater extent.

Asgardian

Not voting Labour this time because of the Blair/Brown years doesn't make sense to me. The whole point of what Jeremy Corbyn has done is to move the party back towards the traditional Labour values which the Blair/Brown years arguably were distant from. Also, Thatcher and Major screwed the country over in nearly twenty years but people still voted Tory again come 2010. It should be based on what they will do now and on that basis Labour are the best choice. The ironic thing is Theresa May called this general election to crush Labour. She may well end up handing them the keys to number ten, at least I certainly hope so.

Nesf
20 hours ago, Going home said:

I trust none of them. I think people will be fucked by whatever government of the day is, but by voting you can choose who will be doing it.

Its choosing the best of a bad bunch and sometimes (as now) its important to vote tactically. Thats why I am labour this year ... otherwise it might be the greens

Edit: Ooh, the swear filter is off ... thats refreshing ... will need to moderate my own coarseness  :D

Amen to that. It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in. It's like choosing from a bowl of bad fruit and it's the same in every country; so which fruit do you want, this bad apple, or that sour lemon, the black overripe banana or the rotten orange? Although I have British nationality, I don't have the right to vote in the UK elections (and neither should I, since I'm not resident there). But if I were to vote, there's absolutely no way I'd vote Tory.

Miss Chief
On 2017-6-1 at 1:42 PM, Ben said:

Labour never really convinced me in 2005, and were a bit too liberal with the spending.

Actually Labour always have a better fiscal record and lower deficits (the banks caused the financial crash not Labour) where as the Tories never balance the books... the deficit has grown under Tory governance despite austerity! Proof here although Google it and you will find tons of evidence of this on average the Tories have a deficit twice the size of Labour.