Dr-David-Banner

Why Are People So Afraid Of Death?

Dr-David-Banner

I wish people would get over this century old denial of death and instead "live for today". That turn of phrase, "imagine all the people living for today" actually triggered censorship in America. Lennon's song caused real offence as Lennon was sort of saying, "Live your life now and don't go to war over schisms and legends." The guy who gunned Lennon down in 1980 had been a strong evangelical and had felt outrage over the song Imagine.
So, here we are in 2017. We have medicine, space exploration and significant knowledge of biology and geology. And yet still people cling to religion and believe they alone will not die but go to paradise. Despite proofs for evolution, the majority in America and the Middle East still think God created the world in 6 days. Where it becomes a real problem for rational, secular people is these religionists or creationists get into government and spread chaos. George Bush, Bin Laden, for example. Both presumably had God on their side and a place in paradise reserved. Both were hypocrites of epic proportions.
I think with religion, the hate directed at us infidels or non believers is created by a fear of death. What if the unbeliever is right? How dare they think God isn't giving eternal life! That's the seed that gives rise to destructive, irrational,, aggressive behaviour. Also as Prof Dawking stated, religion claims immunity from criticism. It is fine to question the theory of relativity but to suggest religion is wrong is blasphemy. Thus, our powers of thought and deduction are silenced by violent majorities. In Lennon's case he was gunned down. Socrates was put to death for teachings that deny the gods.
I think the world needs a real good kick up the backside and a reality check. We need to dismantle the escapism of religion and hopefully make people face death openly. We need science in the classrooms and religion subjected to the teachings of geology, physics and natural selection.
For now the majority cling to religion, afraid of death. How can this be? Books that were written before the discoveries of evolution and astrophysics are still revered as absolute knowledge.

Nesf

Why  are people so afraid of death? Because it's terrifying. You lose consciousness, you lose all that you are, all everything, and then become nothing. It's no wonder that people turn to religion. Nobody wants to think that they become nothing, that you die and then that's it, and believing in a religion that offers an alternative to this prospect is attractive and comforting. It's a coping mechanism. Death is the one thing that we have no choice over, no control over, and following a religion that believes in an afterlife gives the illusion of control over this.

Dr-David-Banner

Well, this weird fixation I have with the sixties gothic horror "Carnival Of Souls" is because I did touch death. Just like the woman in the film, I drowned. You become cut off from your body and the traumatic part was being pulled out because you're suddenly coughing out water. My touching of death may explain why I may sometimes get attacks of fatigue or even problems with balance.
The Budhists have the best understanding of death. You see, you are always in flux and changing. You are not constant. You are changed over time and old cells in the body die. So life is not like "This is me now and not what I was in the past or will be in the future." Think of caterpillar and butterfly. Which was the real version? Did the caterpillar die when it became a butterfly or was the butterfly not alive during the life of the caterpillar?

I've looked into the abyss a few times! It's nothing to fear, just another cycle. 

Folk are scared bevaseus they've been tricked into thinking that this ain't it! This/it/that.... 

is ALL there is. All of us, you, me, them, is This/that/it.. 

Today people believed they grey bearded Bloke is watching them, so even if they say they're not religious - if they refuse to believe Now, then they think it's gonna happen Then. 

The Great Deceiver - has a cloven foot folks. 

Our western version of Christ is actually his evil brother with horns, and he'll trick people into living for tomorrow and you'll never know till it's too late as you take your last breath

Edited by .......

#AlanWatts 

His talks pretty much give all the answers. 

Gone away

Death is a natural part of life ... but I would imagine not validating / useful for self esteem.

There is good reason that people don't want to die

Dr-David-Banner

Funerals are difficult events. It's customary for the minister to give a speech about eternal life. Nobody is going to say, "Hang on! How do you know those who die wind up in paradise?" When John Lennon made that point in Imagine, lots of people got upset. "Imagine all the people living for today". Yet surely this idea of owning your life somehow is imaginary? I figure who I am today is far removed from who I was 20 years ago. Besides all those cells died off. So death isn't just one big event. Death is part of life. So, I wish people weren't being encouraged to follow religions that cause them to hate those who don't accept their eternal life theory. The hate is created by fear. Even worse the conviction life is pre-arranged encourages passive acceptance. Not the drive to change things and face life here and now. For sure the greater the impact of religion in a country, the more science lags behind.

Asgardian

I think one thing people is afraid of about death is fear of the unknown. Nobody truly knows what happens to us when we die. Also, it is inevitable. No matter how you live your life, you will die one day. Nobody can avoid that, and I think that the feeling of limited time can create fear if you think too much about it.

Gone away
2 hours ago, Asgardian said:

I think one thing people is afraid of about death is fear of the unknown. 

I have no issue with dying - apart from worrying about those left behind and that something good might happen for a change - if dead I would miss it.
I do sometimes feel morose enough to 'throw in the towel', but long shot as it may be - I  would not want to miss a chance for happiness