Dr-David-Banner

Why Are People So Afraid Of Death?

MrGrey

I don't believe in a personal God, or any other form of spiritual power, supernatural being, celestial teapot, karma, ghosts, clairvoyance, wizardry, witchcraft, ancient aliens, creationism, reincarnation, etc etc etc.

I don't fear death.  I do worry that it might be painful when it happens tho.  And I hope to be lucky enough to die in a quick and painless way.  

But I have a wife and kids that need me.  Leaving them before they are prepared to deal with my departure is indeed something I fear.  I have to go at some point, but I hope I could stay until they are ready for it.

Asgardian
17 hours ago, MrGrey said:

But I have a wife and kids that need me.  Leaving them before they are prepared to deal with my departure is indeed something I fear.  I have to go at some point, but I hope I could stay until they are ready for it.

Yes, one of the biggest fears around death is almost certainly our anxieties about how our loved ones will cope after we have gone. 

Aspergolfer

Those who don't understand the nature of death and the state of the dead will be afraid because of their lack of understanding. The cause of death is sin. Romans 6:23 says this, For the sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.  As to the state of the dead, mortality and immortality, the Bible is very clear. John 3:16 says For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. When one dies, they rest in the grave in a dreamless sleep until the resurrection, of which there are two. The believer will rise in the first resurrection, also known as the resurrection of life, see 1 Thessalonians 4:13-17. The second resurrection is called the resurrection of damnation, see John 5:28, 29. In the book of Revelation, it explains the second resurrection, and the second death in the Lake of Fire, see Revelation 20:5-14 for a description of both resurrections. Those subject to the second death will be destroyed in the Lake of Fire because they choose to hold on to their sin. God wants to destroy sin, but in His holiness He must reluctantly destroy the person that decides to hold on the their sin instead of turning it over to God by putting their trust in His only begotten Son, who is God in the flesh, born of a virgin, lived a perfect, sinless life, then died as the Lamb of God to take away the sin of all mankind. He then rose again and ascended into Heaven. Soon He will return to receive His own to Himself, see John 4:1-3.  Only God has immortality, see 1 Timothy 6:16. The believer will receive both a glorified body and immortality at Christ's second coming, see 1 Corinthians 15:51-57. 

There is no need to fear death, because God, through His only begotten Son conquered death and the grave for us because He has loved us since before the foundation of the world.

I hope that assuaged any fear about death. Jesus tasted death for all of us.

ancus

I don't want to stop existing.  In spite of its flaws I think this world is a wonderful strange place to live in and I don't want to stop doing that.  I am not comforted by the thought I may someday go to a "better place."  My solace comes from striving to make this world a better place. 

Aspergolfer

I do not fear death. According to the Bible, I will sleep until Christ returns in power and glory with His angels and calls all the redeemed of all the ages to be with Him in Heaven for 1,000 years, to return to a newly recreated Earth and dwell with God for all eternity. See 1 Thessalonians 4:13-17 and Revelation 20:1-4.

Ace

I find that I don't really fear death either, but I personally don't know what happens after death. I kind of carry myself with the idea that it will inevitably happen so why not just make now the best I can. And so far its been pretty good to me. If I died tomorrow in some freak accident, I would have died mostly content with my life so far. But don't let this ideology stop you from planning a future for yourself. While making a better future can sometimes interfere with making the best for yourself now you should balance it. That's why I am kinda at a low point right now. I am trying to push through my last 2 semesters for my mechanical engineering degree but I know that it will pay off later so I don't let it bother me. 

Sorry, kinda off topic there. I don't want to offend anyone here but I feel oddly uneasy with the idea that you just go to somewhere "better" like a sort of heaven forever after. But I do believe our consciousness lives on in some way. Maybe we get reincarnated, maybe we do go to a heaven for some time. It just scares me that you might go somewhere Forever though since that would be boring, just as I think it would eventually get boring to live forever.

EccentricChemist

I've seen dead people before, and there is a kiind of emptiness in their eyes, sometimes their mouth was open, and no sound or breath coming out, like the body was a person a minutes before, and now it's empty, kind of sad not something I like to see.  If death is emptiness, I don't think it will be any worse than it was before we were born, I don't remember anything of that time before I was born, so if that's death it can't be any worse than before we were here.  But I believe in an afterlife, and hope it's pretty cool. 

Dr-David-Banner

Maybe your life is an illusion. You are not now the same as you were at 5 years old. You evolved. Was the butterly only living a life or the caterpillar? Or both?