Sign in to follow this  
Dr-David-Banner

WOW (Kind Of Shocked)

Dr-David-Banner

Very strange. I've been put on restricted access on the radio electronics forum. The moderator had been getting hate mail and complaints about me. He mailed me and acknowledges there is no direct cause for the complaints but that the problem has increased. The moderator knows I have AS. I should clarify I have never been insulting or rude or crude in any way on the site.
Naturally I can't allow discrimination so I informed the moderator I would leave the site to get him out of the predicament. However, I told him I thought he'd handled it badly. Had he been honest weeks ago, I'd have found another site. There's no offence in that.
Having said that, I was forced to point out this is not my problem. Tonight I rechecked my last technical post that drew protests and it is fine. The maths, the phase, the data all spot on. Sure, I make mistakes at times but this was not one of those times. So where does this leave them? Does status and the concept of being right outweigh the study of science? I figured the whole idea is to learn and keep learning. And what's the score with these membership badges and logos - if tolerance of different perspectives is dismissed.
One complaint made about me is apparently I don't use my real name. "We're a friendly site so why not give a name?" And yet..... The Russian electronics site I just joined has many members with identities like MIC07 and no problem there. Plus if they claim to be a friendly site why put someone with AS on restricted access, if that person hasn't been rude, or broken rules. OK, on Asperclick I admit some of my former political threads pushed boundaries and I figured maybe best to be more wary of possible offence to others. Yet on the other forum I didn't discuss politics as it's mainly a technical forum.
On that note I will suggest to all - do your best to help this site and not to be intolerant as NT's are. I'm happy to say Asperclick always has cut us a bit of slack when we squabble. We are after all people with social problems.
As for me, it's full steam ahead. I'll be doing electronics on a Russian site although, to be honest, many Russians find me even weirder. They can't figure out why some dude from England is posting in Russian. Plus, those forums are ethnically closely bound.

Dr-David-Banner

It's been said with some of us on the spectrum we have a tendency to be "know-alls". For example, in an imaginary conversation:
NT: I just bought this foreign telescope in a shop,
Aspie: Actually that's a "Turist" USSR model.
NT: Oh, I see.....
Aspie: Actually it was produced by The Leningrad Workers Factory, awarded the Order Of Lenin in 1978...
NT: Walks off annoyed.
However with me part of it is thinking out aloud. Plus a lot of AS people may be a bit narcissistic. Sometimes I think I ought to iron out these defects but are NT's worth it? Lately I wonder.

Nesf
5 hours ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

It's been said with some of us on the spectrum we have a tendency to be "know-alls". For example, in an imaginary conversation:
NT: I just bought this foreign telescope in a shop,
Aspie: Actually that's a "Turist" USSR model.
NT: Oh, I see.....
Aspie: Actually it was produced by The Leningrad Workers Factory, awarded the Order Of Lenin in 1978...
NT: Walks off annoyed.
However with me part of it is thinking out aloud. Plus a lot of AS people may be a bit narcissistic. Sometimes I think I ought to iron out these defects but are NT's worth it? Lately I wonder.

But if the NT just said that he/she bought a "foreign" telescope in a shop, with no extra information, then how would the Aspie know what exact model it was without further inquiry??

Edit: I have no idea why he/she should be annoyed. I'd find it interesting to have some background information on it.

Edited by Nesf

Dr-David-Banner

There was an episode of Columbo I thought depicted that quite well. Columbo meets a girl who wears these big glasses and her conversation revolves around reciting lots of facts she learned. She comes across as a bit childish but full of information. Columbo is very nice to her.
My point is though above, people dislike any hint or reminder of being somehow outdone. If someone plans a holiday to South America and you then recite facts and figures about the Chilean economy or Argentinian agriculture they soon walk off. Plus get irritated.
This is the problem with social skills. I upset those forum members various ways. They complained I use American terminology such as "tubes" or "C Battery". I did alter this to try and be polite. The bottom line is though I just work far harder than 98 per cent of them as I've no social life to distract me.
I have heard even NT's have been excluded from HAM sites as the older generation of HAMs (amateur operators) feel it's their turf.

Nesf
1 hour ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

If someone plans a holiday to South America and you then recite facts and figures about the Chilean economy or Argentinian agriculture they soon walk off. Plus get irritated.
This is the problem with social skills. I upset those forum members various ways. They complained I use American terminology such as "tubes" or "C Battery". I did alter this to try and be polite.

But you aren't doing anything wrong. Why should they be annoyed or offended if you aren't doing anything wrong? It's not like you are personally insulting them, which would be wrong. You are just giving more information or using alternative terminology. Certainly no reason for putting you on restricted access - unless there's another reason for it.

If this is the reason, they it is they who have the problem and need to deal with it, not you.

Dr-David-Banner

The moderator after my mail did publish my last post. He then commented on it and attempted to point out why there were different ways of looking at it. That was an attempt to try and smooth things over. The snag is for me to accept my posts being selected and hand-picked boils down to discrimination so I've withdrawn. Not only that but I take it as a personal insult against my AS.
Actually there was another small incident 3 weeks ago. That was actually quite amusing. I quoted an online tutorial formula and some on the forum scoffed at it. Some hours later and out of the blue, the editor of the tutorial turned up. He was highly annoyed and pointed out he taught electronics in class and that his tutorials were used by many.
Of course, I have my own site now and it seems to get a lot of hits. It isn't a forum just a site. I've also been learning all the Russian terminology as posting in another language will push me. The only snag is a lot of the Russian radio engineering forums look nice but are a bit dead. I suspect they rarely have foreign members so I didn't refer to my nationality. It could be good for me as foreign language communication in tech circles may refine my translationn skills, although I guess computers these days can get 70 per cent accurate translation.

Dr-David-Banner

"If this is the reason, they it is they who have the problem and need to deal with it, not you."

Haven't you just summed up the entire AS issue there? It's majority vs minority. In NT World social skills and acceptance over-ride cognitive and analytical factors. Often the people don't realise they're discriminating. For them, the badges, the clubs and friendly meetings all cement the "belonging". There are certain social rules that are very subtle. I have many interviews of Bruce Lee and he did have lots of issues where the Chinese community resented his teaching of martial arts by dumping ways and styles. Bruce didn't wear belts or promote any style. Bruce was a philosophy student too.
Anyway, I hate to say it but the choices are tough. I can't sacrifice my learning methods to abide by social politeness. I'm open to other peoples' points of view but I can't just blindly agree so as not to offend.

Whoknows

It seems that all relies in a matter of taste, and that no matter what you do, someone will always get mad. :mellow:

There is no actual nor right point of view. It's just that people are moved from their comfort zone, even though they participate in a discipline that is meant to be realized that way. Even being on forum requires you to leave your comfort zone, to put on hold your taste and think about what others have to say, like it or not.

Even if I don't share @Dr-David-Banner political points of view, I don't need to start a flame war out of it.

Maybe, there's always a chance that one will always get mixed up with the wrong crowd. After all, there's no way to tell how people are, other than knowing them.

Dr-David-Banner

I chose to drop my political threads. I felt it doesn't help to cause possible offence. Plus, even by Asperger standards I don't have feelings or emotions the same as most. Enough of that....
Here it is in black and white from my huge 1960 HAM radio manual:
"A class A amplifier is one operated so that the wave shape of the output voltage is the same as that of the signal voltage.."
The issue should never have come to my being on restricted access because someone disagrees with me as well as the quoted paragraph. If you can see my point here why would these people make serious complaints and state I was spreading inaccurate information? Where that now leaves them is with a contrary view to the above.
It was never "my theory" or "my approach". All I do is use decent textbooks, used by many NASA HAM operators.
Maybe my mistake was to go into stuff that tends to just trigger discord when someone finds something contradicts a comfort zone.
Guess I'll just have to work hard on my own.

Dr-David-Banner

A few e-mails swapped between myself and the moderator. My last fairly polite but to the point. I can't agree to my posts being blocked to aid someone else to win a debate. That's discriminatory. To me the issue isn't that I object to being accused of making a mistake. It's about charged, personal language, being condescending and rude. To that I made a polite factual response, clicked "post" and it said "all future posts will be moderated". So, I wonder if that was you, how would you have felt? I have let the moderator know politely but very directly it's not acceptable. He had the nerve to suggest being on restricted access over the incident wasn't so bad. I replied I am not on restricted access but left, adios and hasta la vista. I am very touchy about suggestions spectrum people are somehow inferior.
Later I'll report how the Russian sites go. They seem very quiet with only 3 or so reponses. Good articles though.