Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dr-David-Banner

WOW (Kind Of Shocked)

Recommended Posts

Nesf
6 hours ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

So, I wonder if that was you, how would you have felt?

If I thought that I hadn't done anything wrong, extremely pissed off. I'd probably leave the forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dr-David-Banner

It caused a bit of a meltdown. The notion of unjustified negative feedback added to the feelings of isolation I already get at times. I mean, I work very hard in a field that really brings in no economic remuneration. There's plenty of work for me in technical translation where I can contribute but I don't really need the bad vibes. I have a feeling now it backfired. If I get accused of giving wrong information I tend to go back to my textbooks and check. Misunderstandings happen but in this case it's a given class A amplifier systems have output in phase with output. I dare say if I was in some old boys club or association there'd have been no controversy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dr-David-Banner

"
Here is part of the original mail just after the blocking of access. Can someone here on Asperclick please inform me why it's a problem not to use my real name on NT forums. Consider:
" I remember suggesting that you might open up about yourself, so that people can understand you better - you don't have to tell them everything, but offering some sort of insight might help how people perceive you. It was only a suggestion, and of course it was - and remains - totally up to you. Meanwhile, I have to field the complaints from people who are frustrated."
The use of "field" suggests the guy practically had a full time job trying to calm irate members.
Nobody calls me by my name normally. I am very distant and unemotional - far more emotional with animals. This letter indicates their difficulty relating to someone who doesn't go to classes or study in any social context. The truth is too with my 4 hours a day constant analysing of data, they will be inevitably left behind. So, is this name stuff just a smokescreen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nesf
1 hour ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

"
Here is part of the original mail just after the blocking of access. Can someone here on Asperclick please inform me why it's a problem not to use my real name on NT forums. Consider:
" I remember suggesting that you might open up about yourself, so that people can understand you better - you don't have to tell them everything, but offering some sort of insight might help how people perceive you. It was only a suggestion, and of course it was - and remains - totally up to you. Meanwhile, I have to field the complaints from people who are frustrated."
The use of "field" suggests the guy practically had a full time job trying to calm irate members.
Nobody calls me by my name normally. I am very distant and unemotional - far more emotional with animals. This letter indicates their difficulty relating to someone who doesn't go to classes or study in any social context. The truth is too with my 4 hours a day constant analysing of data, they will be inevitably left behind. So, is this name stuff just a smokescreen?

Where does it say about you using your name? No one should be obliged to use their real name in a forum or any other personal information that might reveal the identity of a person or reveal their whereabouts - it's unsafe and unwise to do so.

I don't understand the use of the word 'field' here - field is a noun, not a verb.

Why are they frustrated with you? Was that just because you used different terminology or gave extra information? You don't have to answer that here, but if you want people to help you, you would need to give more details about what exactly happened and what was 'frustrating' them. I understand that you may not want to do that here, you could send me a PM with a link to the conversation which caused the issue and I might be able to help you that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dr-David-Banner

What he means is the forum is dominated by a smaller group of people who actually have met. It's geared towards familiarity. That is, I know the Christian name of the moderator. Sometimes I was asked to give my first name and be a bit warmer.
Nevertheless the argument doesn't quite stand the test of logic. Only a very small faction uses first name terms. There are a lot of lurkers who only post once occasionally. Maybe as I posted regularly they somehow felt they needed a name. Of course, in view of how things developed I'm glad I didn't give any name. People who discriminate are not friends but fellow hobbyists and that's all there is to it for me.
So, to help you understand somehow I don't add up to them. They obviously sense my approaches are very different. This latter comes from acquisition of knowledge from within and not from social interaction or classes. Even worse for them, not blindly following ringleaders on the basis of reputation but simply making my own analysis and interpretation. Plus, I use American terminology because my textbooks are American sixties era - the stuff NASA employed. Also I guess my huge volume of work level which is typical of obsessive HFA. It's not the scheduled class approach.
I can't fathom what the complaints would have been. Certainly no political debates or outbursts or any breaking of rules. It comes across the way he puts it as bordering hate mail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dr-David-Banner

Here's another interesting segment:

"Putting you on moderation means I can pre-empt the complaints by keeping you concise and on-topic, thus
freeing up my time, and helping improve your standing in the community."

Notice the interesting term "standing in the community" = status.

I am just not interested in being judged on status. I do now follow packs, clubs, associations or idealise teachers. Sure there are teachers I respect but everyone has to earn respect first.

What he means by "moderation" is he wants to edit out any posts that contradict what's promoted by his favourite members who feel they have a God-given right to be flattered and  never challenged. I'm not going to agree to that because it's the opposite value to education.

And here he writes,

"all that's changed is that we see your posts before anyone else has the chance to get offended."

In other words, please don't upset anyone by suggesting any issue that may go against what they staked their reputation on. Don't use American HAM radio textbooks or we'll delete it. Actually I was asked to ditch my American books but the truth is the old HAM textbooks were the peak of American technology when they had lots of scientists migrate from Germany and teach. The German engineering at that time was pretty awesome so I use those books for a reason.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nesf
31 minutes ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

What he means is the forum is dominated by a smaller group of people who actually have met. It's geared towards familiarity. That is, I know the Christian name of the moderator. Sometimes I was asked to give my first name and be a bit warmer.
Nevertheless the argument doesn't quite stand the test of logic. Only a very small faction uses first name terms. There are a lot of lurkers who only post once occasionally. Maybe as I posted regularly they somehow felt they needed a name. Of course, in view of how things developed I'm glad I didn't give any name. People who discriminate are not friends but fellow hobbyists and that's all there is to it for me.
So, to help you understand somehow I don't add up to them. They obviously sense my approaches are very different. This latter comes from acquisition of knowledge from within and not from social interaction or classes. Even worse for them, not blindly following ringleaders on the basis of reputation but simply making my own analysis and interpretation. Plus, I use American terminology because my textbooks are American sixties era - the stuff NASA employed. Also I guess my huge volume of work level which is typical of obsessive HFA. It's not the scheduled class approach.
I can't fathom what the complaints would have been. Certainly no political debates or outbursts or any breaking of rules. It comes across the way he puts it as bordering hate mail.

I think I understand now, and your assessment of the situation is probably correct, though it might also be useful to ask the moderator what the complaints are about. You have right to know that.

You should not be obliged to give your name if you are not comfortable with that, especially give that you only know them online and not in real life. If you were to meet them in real life, then that would put the socializing on a more intimate level and naturally they would expect you to tell them your real name. But online, this is at your discretion. I don't know why they would want your real name if they don't know you personally.

Sounds to me like they are a cliquey bunch and they are behaving towards your with a rather typical clique mentality, closed towards anyone who isn't in their clique or doesn't follow their rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dr-David-Banner

Here is an attack launched on a self-taught American radio engineer. This is to show that I'm not always the only victim of the so-called "community". This American engineer ran a YouTube channel and, when I checked him out, it surfaced he was in the American Air Force decades ago and worked as an aircraft mechanic (and radio tech).
This review was directed at him:

"Other mistakes such as biasing the grid in a triode to be positive is more evidence of someone who is poorly educated and has never spent even just a year in college. His definition of words are wrong and it's just bizarre to find someone this incompetent is actually writing books and making tutorial videos.
There's a reason you will never see this author employed at a college or asked to give lectures in the electronics community.How do I know?Because I'm a college educated electronic engineer in pursuit of his degree."

The American is right. On certain amplifiers you can bias a grid into positive (the power amplifiers). Or more strictly speaking, you can have large amplitude positive sine waves that will push the valve grid into positive. This is what the author would have meant.

The college educated electronic engineer in pursuit of his degree made the mistake of rushing ahead of himself and assuming he knew everything. Personally I never launch attacks on books or writers because if you wind up wrong, maybe it will boomerang back.

The American "definition of words" differ somewhat. So do the tubes and the circuits. Therefore Americans are likely to be misunderstood. I don't have problems there as I use American books so I learned the terms.

Here is Rick Mcwhorter in action.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dr-David-Banner

I'll share this Russian radio here. Surprisingly well made and the dials light up. I imagine they'd be very hard to get hold of.

fl1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nesf
1 hour ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

"Putting you on moderation means I can pre-empt the complaints by keeping you concise and on-topic, thus
freeing up my time, and helping improve your standing in the community."

Notice the interesting term "standing in the community" = status.

Yes, most people (NTs) are very concerned or even obsessed over their status or their image, how others see them, and about having a good social status. Gaining peer approval is very important to them, and they measure success in terms of social standing. This is one of the reasons why teachers and leaders are often revered so much, put on a pedestal. Social status or social image is something that was never important to me either - I wasn't even aware of its importance until fairly recently - that's just not how I think. As you say, respect has to be earned; you don't automatically have my respect because you are popular, rich, the leader or famous, you have my respect because of your merits, because you deserve it, and because you respect me.

It also sounds like he's saying that if you want to continue on the forum, you must conform.

1 hour ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

"Other mistakes such as biasing the grid in a triode to be positive is more evidence of someone who is poorly educated and has never spent even just a year in college. His definition of words are wrong and it's just bizarre to find someone this incompetent is actually writing books and making tutorial videos.
There's a reason you will never see this author employed at a college or asked to give lectures in the electronics community.How do I know?Because I'm a college educated electronic engineer in pursuit of his degree."

The American is right. On certain amplifiers you can bias a grid into positive (the power amplifiers). Or more strictly speaking, you can have large amplitude positive sine waves that will push the valve grid into positive. This is what the author would have meant.

I don't know enough about this subject to comment on it, but I do believe that in the end it is the result that matters, not the method - for example, if a radio works, then obviously the method used to construct it worked and there is no reason to criticise it. I have a valve amplifier, and though it might be a lot heavier and bulkier than a 'normal' amplifier, it works just as well if not better, so it's all down to personal taste. I know the best way of learning for me, but I can't say that all my students learn the same way as I do and that's ok, if the result is the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.