Sign in to follow this  
Dr-David-Banner

WOW (Kind Of Shocked)

Nesf

Just about everything is about public image - creating an image, aspiring to an image, subscribing and conforming to a certain image in order to fit in. Images are also all about shared emotions. This forms the basis of celeb culture, fandom, fashion, popular opinions, likes and dislikes and drags everything down to the lowest common denominator... of course, advertisers, the media and politicians love images and take full advantage of them. I've realized that this is going on, I just don't feel this way about it and don't experience them how other people experience them. I just don't get these en masse shared emotions.

Dr-David-Banner

"I don't know enough about this subject to comment on it, but I do believe that in the end it is the result that matters, not the method"

Science knowledge was mostly evolution. You can make a very simple crystal radio which would work. Just an antenna, a wound coil, tuner capaccitor and earphone. That's how it started. Then it was discovered a vacuum tube could amplify signal and sound.
I don't have a natural gift for this topic like I do with languages (which I find easy). So, I had to work much harder. I figure I'm more theoretical too. Another factor is the teaching is choppy and geared towards class work so maybe I find it hard for that reason. I have to compensate by working hard and allowing time for stuff to sink in.

Dr-David-Banner

"Sounds to me like they are a cliquey bunch and they are behaving towards your with a rather typical clique mentality, closed towards anyone who isn't in their clique or doesn't follow their rules."
I noticed something on the thread, just before I got limited access. Some guy called Kyle who very rarely posts had backed my explanation on amplifiers. He virtually said the same as me and added more detail. That was why my own response wasn't censored. That is, there was a bit of support. So, really, the moderator screwed up. It was a very educational thread and very lively but the moderator jumped the gun, trying to appease older members who post more.
I spent time tonight really revising my amplifier texts. The member whose outburst of indignation caused the crisis is definitely mistaken. I could quote scores of texts that affirm class A amplifiers have the same input and output phase. So for accurately presenting this evidence, I'm now an ex-member.
One thing I'll add to the story is there was a very patronising attitude to me all the time I was there. Maybe they equated my questions with lack of knowledge. Yet without questions and getting confused at times, you can't learn. So, the use of questions led them to deduce I was "a novice" who simply needed a bit of expert advice from old hands. In cases where a question exposed gaps and even confusion this provoked anger. I know by experience you can think you understand something then realise that's not the case.

Dr-David-Banner

Einstein said the only time you know you understand something is if you can successfully explain it.
Imagine you have a torch bulb and one 9 volt dry battery. If you wire the bulb + and - it will light up. If you wire it - + it will likewise light up. If you were quick enough to keep reversing the connection 10 times a second, the bulb would flicker. If like Spiderman you could manage 50 reversals of connection, the bulb would pretty much stay lit. Yet for tiny fractions of a second there would be zero volts. So + - and zero. The polarity keeps changing which is fine for lights or electric heaters. That's how AC works.

Dr-David-Banner

www.yesterdaysradio.zohosites.com

I decided this time to take a more aggressive stance and launch a "counter attack" from my own site. That is, make an article that allows me to defend my position and address the criticisms made on the other site. You can hopefully open it on the link but if that doesn't open just go to the hompage. Then if you click "special features" you will find a feature on amplifiers.
I then e-mailed the moderator a copy. The whole thing is open to public scrutiny although I mentioned no names or referred to any site.
Had I written that article on their site it would have been censored. Or edited.
http://yesterdaysradio.zohosites.com

Edited by Dr-David-Banner

Dr-David-Banner

For some odd reason, this link above isn't showing as a webpage here. I suggest copy and paste into address bar or into a google search engine.
I'll try manually http://www.yesterdaysradio.zohosites.com

Dr-David-Banner

I exchanged a couple of e-mails with the site moderator to say there were no hard feelings. I added. I'd scoured information from my text books and still feel pretty certain I got my facts correct. I think there is a big lesson from this though, It goes back to the thread by LegsBlueTrain ages ago about NT's feeling superior. I only noticed 2 days ago on that site I have a zero point status rank. In other words I'm not supposed to know a great deal. The guy who complained I was mistaken and apparently not listening to veteran advice has 7 points. In fact most long term members have at least 3 points. For some reason too they got the idea ingrained I'm a "novice" but actually I studied electrics for 3 years. Plus I do work on boats as well including engine circuits. So, I find it odd. In fact the attitude of patronisation on that site was striking. What I ask myself is how ought you to respond to attitudes of superiority. After all, many psychologists believe people with AS are typically rote-learners who never really understand their area of interest. If such attitudes exist, surely there's a danger of being held back or not acknowledged. That's why I withdrew. You can't really make a fair argument for something if someone is chopping and editing your replies. The only other point to add is I did find a Russian electronics forum with some useful articles to translate. However I just noticed the last forum post was 2013. A virtual graveyard. Another Russian site was a bit too fast moving for me at this point till I broaden my technical vocabulary.

Dr-David-Banner

Oops wrong thread.

Edited by Dr-David-Banner