Myrtonos

Clues that Trixi has Asperger's

Myrtonos

Hello "Rabbits"

I have been looking at a lot of videos on a channel called DontTrustTheRabbit, which is mostly about the Germans and their language. But I have found clues that she is on the spectrum, but not diagnosed. See these videos:

I decided to bring this channel to the attention of the Aspie community. Actually, she even looks like Rudy Simone.

Sanctuary

Thanks for flagging these up Myrtonos. I looked at these videos plus some of the ones she's done on languages and thought they were excellent - very witty, engaging but also perceptive. I wouldn't like to draw conclusions about whether or not someone is on the spectrum based on how they come across on screen but I think what she says in the videos above (plus another one on shyness) would resonate with people who have AS, especially the one on being social.

I do think we sometimes fall into the trap of believing that Aspies and neurotypicals are two completely different groups and that the latter in particular are always very socially confident. Many of the anxieties we have about social issues are shared to some degree by neurotypical individuals but they may feel less able to talk about them. Everyone can feel uncomfortable in certain social situations and even Aspies can feel very socially confident with certain people or in certain situations. The difference tends to be in degrees of social ease / unease, plus AS tends to be bundled with other characteristics.

An interesting point she mentioned in the video about phoning people is her saying that she would feel much more at ease in a face-to-face interaction where body language could clarify a lot of meanings and reduce uncertainty and misunderstandings. I think this is much more true of neurotypicals while those with AS often also feel uncomfortable in face-to-face encounters as they tend to be less skilled in reading and projecting non-verbal cues. .

Myrtonos
32 minutes ago, Sanctuary said:

Thanks for flagging these up Myrtonos. I looked at these videos plus some of the ones she's done on languages and thought they were excellent - very witty, engaging but also perceptive. I wouldn't like to draw conclusions about whether or not someone is on the spectrum based on how they come across on screen but I think what she says in the videos above (plus another one on shyness) would resonate with people who have AS, especially the one on being social.

She even has one on why the German accent sounds the way it does in English. I won't embed it here, it's less relevant and videos clutter the thread. But remember this thread.

I do think we sometimes fall into the trap of believing that Aspies and neurotypicals are two completely different groups and that the latter in particular are always very socially confident. Many of the anxieties we have about social issues are shared to some degree by neurotypical individuals but they may feel less able to talk about them. Everyone can feel uncomfortable in certain social situations and even Aspies can feel very socially confident with certain people or in certain situations. The difference tends to be in degrees of social ease / unease, plus AS tends to be bundled with other characteristics.

Either she has Asperger's or something with similar or overlaping traits. That seems likely anyway. Not drawing a conclusion here. She hasn't said, for example, whether she ever stims or rocks.

An interesting point she mentioned in the video about phoning people is her saying that she would feel much more at ease in a face-to-face interaction where body language could clarify a lot of meanings and reduce uncertainty and misunderstandings. I think this is much more true of neurotypicals while those with AS often also feel uncomfortable in face-to-face encounters as they tend to be less skilled in reading and projecting non-verbal cues. .

Just because someone would feel more at ease in a face-to-face interaction doesn't mean that someone makes eye contact.

HalfFull

Trixie is among my favorite youtubers.  I suppose she isn't exactly being secretive about what she struggles with, but having watched the first video and then seeing the titles of many more, to me, they all seem to add up to one thing - Social Anxiety. It's implied in every one of the titles.

In fact theres a girl who makes ASMR videos who made a video on having Social Anxiety. I had already pondered whether my interest in her channel was that she may be Aspie. She also started streaming on twitch and this reinforced my suspicions by some apparently literal reactions to things said in the chat. I still could be reading too much into it, but theres certainly something about her that resonates with me so who knows?

As for Trixie, again who knows? However, I'd be tempted to consider the possibility of it just being Social Anxiety in the first instance and then from there decide if that theory doesn't quite hold. However, I personally wouldn't like to publicly call someone out an as Aspie.

Sanctuary

She's posted a new video about whether introverts benefit from speaking foreign languages - very thought-provoking. She says in everyday German conversation she takes longer to react than more extrovert speakers. Although her point is about introversion it may apply to some people with AS  who feel they need more time in conversation to compose their responses. She feels that the interaction gap between introverts and extroverts can be narrowed when speaking foreign languages because they are then given more time to respond by native speakers and any errors they make are more accepted - an interesting hypothesis.

Myrtonos

Learning a second language is often said to make you smarter, but this assumes we think in language. You may have heard the question "What language are you thinking in?". Imagine that you did indeed think in a language; Then how quickly would you react in an everyday conversation in the language in which you think?

Catman2018

I thought it was Trixie from Fairy Odd Parents when I was reading your title, today on my notifications. Sorry for the mix up. 

HalfFull

When I was speaking French with natives during my year abroad, I did actually think in French. Had I thought in English this would have slowed down my responses somewhat whereas thinking in French helped to keep the flow of the conversation fairly natural. Probably slower than between two natives, but whenever they speak among themselves it sounds like lightning speed. 

As for Trixi, I guess a pattern is emerging although were not her doctors lol.

Myrtonos
5 hours ago, HalfFull said:

When I was speaking French with natives during my year abroad, I did actually think in French. Had I thought in English this would have slowed down my responses somewhat whereas thinking in French helped to keep the flow of the conversation fairly natural. Probably slower than between two natives, but whenever they speak among themselves it sounds like lightning speed. 

Do you mean you transcribed thought in French? We all transcribe thought in words, but I proved that words aren't thought. Knowing more words doesn't extend the range of thoughts one can think, only the range that can be transcribed. And the more thoughts one can think, the more words one is able learn.