Willow

Abstract

aspieguy

I should post some of my more abstract stuff here...

Tylermc

Here's a fall sunset ? picture at my family's cottage in manotba Canada ?? 

i used a  warm filler for this picture 

IMG_1371.JPG

• Like 1

collectingrocks

Nice picture, what warm filter did you use - 81 or 85 series?

• Like 1

collectingrocks

Here's a sunset pic I took a few years ago

Winter sunset..jpg

• Like 2

aspieguy
1 hour ago, collectingrocks said:

Here's a sunset pic I took a few years ago

Winter sunset..jpg

That's really nice, I want to try taking some sunrise/sunset pictures (especially by the sea, like that) but I can't because I can never get out at that time of day.

collectingrocks
8 minutes ago, aspieguy said:

That's really nice, I want to try taking some sunrise/sunset pictures (especially by the sea, like that) but I can't because I can never get out at that time of day.

It was 5pm near mid winter but I cheated slightly by using an 85 filter

• Like 1

aspieguy
11 hours ago, collectingrocks said:

It was 5pm near mid winter but I cheated slightly by using an 85 filter

heh, I've adjusted colour balance before to bring out the "warmth" in an evening shot (I shoot digital).

• Like 1

Tylermc

My favourite part about fall is that you get some amazing sunset ? like this one here as well  this was taken at a lake in Manitoba Canada 

IMG_1372.JPG

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Tylermc

What has been your favourite black and white picture that you have taken 

collectingrocks

I shoot RAW digital so comes out in colour, but I could convert any picture to black and white. Probably a dull, moody grainy shot would look good converted to black and white

aspieguy
1 hour ago, collectingrocks said:

I shoot RAW digital so comes out in colour, but I could convert any picture to black and white. Probably a dull, moody grainy shot would look good converted to black and white

I find that the pictures that work best in black and white are those with interesting shapes or texture, where colour is not important and may actually detract from the picture.

One such example is a picture that I took of a building that was 90% brown stone, 5% blue sky, and 5% grey metal (percentages are approximations) - this picture works a lot better in black and white because viewer's attention is drawn to the repetitive vertical lines in the architecture and the texture in the lighting variation among the stones rather than the (irrelevant) brown colour of the stones.

Another example is a picture where I was low down to the ground with a short focal length (wide angle) looking through an archway, and again the viewer is drawn to the transition from dark to light towards the exit of the archway and the texture of the cobblestone path.

A similar picture was looking through a small window up at a larger wall and here the important part was again the transition from dark to light and the distorted lines of the window through which the viewer is looking.

I've also played around with colour toning a fair bit, where dark areas of the picture are tinted one colour and light areas are tinted another colour. This has a similar effect to black and white (by removing the original colour from the scene) but can be more interesting for the viewer as it still has some colour and the colour emphasises the changes in lightness across the scene.

EDIT: Also worth mentioning that you can still convert photos to black and white even if you don't shoot in raw, although there are numerous reasons why I would recommend that a serious digital photographer shoots in raw.

Edited by aspieguy
  • Helpful 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.