Myrtonos

Photography licences

Myrtonos

Imagine if one needed a licence to take photos in public, or even carry a camera in public places, and for all professional photography.

• Like 1

Peridot

I'm still an aspiring videographer and a long time ago I actually spoke to people from the government about needing a license or not and they immediately got all tense and said "At all times!". But honestly I feel that if I ever go out with a video camera I should just be able to do so without the government giving me a hard time.

• Like 1

Willow

I think different countries have different laws about shooting in public and whether you need permission or not etc.

I have my public liability insurance which enables me to shoot at events from a better angle if I apply for a media pass before hand. :) 

• Like 1

RiRi

I'm assuming photography licenses are only needed if the pictures will be used for commercial use/potential money making?

• Like 1

RiRi

or are they also needed for personal use? Sorry for double posting, I thought they would merge.

Edited by RiRi

Myrtonos
1 hour ago, Peridot said:

I'm still an aspiring videographer and a long time ago I actually spoke to people from the government about needing a license or not and they immediately got all tense and said "At all times!". But honestly I feel that if I ever go out with a video camera I should just be able to do so without the government giving me a hard time.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by all this.

1 hour ago, Willow said:

I think different countries have different laws about shooting in public and whether you need permission or not etc. 

I have never heard of a country where a licence is required for all photography in public places or all professional photography. Suppose one had to go through a photography course and then pass a test to get that licence and then pay an annual licence fee.

No license required in the UK.. that applies pretty much anywhere. Even in places like swimming pools the law still allows no licence although 'site specific' rules may say no filming the actual law doesn't say that.

Willow
6 hours ago, Myrtonos said:

I have never heard of a country where a licence is required for all photography in public places or all professional photography. Suppose one had to go through a photography course and then pass a test to get that licence and then pay an annual licence fee.

No, no licence, just permission from people or land owners etc., depending on where you are.

Myrtonos

In some cases, the people who run a premise do sell "licences" to those wanting to take photos on that premise. But since they aren't issued or authorised by the government or a government agency, they are more like tickets that passports, driver's/skipper's/pilot's licences, amateur radio licences or even Television licences like those in the U.K.

They are hypothecated entrance fees, not hypothecated taxes as T.V licences are.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.