Primeape

Your pets

Primeape

Do you have any pets? And what animal would like to have? :)

aspieguy

I used to have a rabbit. Believe it or not, I would like to have a wolf as a pet (not a dog). Wolves are difficult to keep as pets though and I wouldn't recommend it for everyone.

Edited by aspieguy

Primeape

What was your rabbits name :)

And wolves are so cute, but yeah i also assume they would be difficult to keep has a pet

I have a dog called spook :), i would like and Airedale terrier and I'd call him Pringle 

Anyone feel free to make topics about animals :)

aspieguy
2 hours ago, DebzMata08 said:

What was your rabbits name :)

I'd rather not say as it was quite unique and may be personally identifying.

2 hours ago, DebzMata08 said:

And wolves are so cute, but yeah i also assume they would be difficult to keep has a pet

Yes, wolves are very cute. But they're quite demanding as pets, they need a lot of space, plenty of exercise, and a firm and devoted owner. Wolves aren't like dogs. If you're not careful, they'll quickly put themselves in a superior position and you won't be able to control them (you can't physically restrain a wolf, and unless they regard you as superior then they will not listen to you at all, and if you appear weak towards them then they won't regard you as superior).

At the same time, you can't "rule over" them with force, this will cause them to behave aggressively and aggression in a wolf should be avoided (because they have strong jaws and they don't have the same inhibition towards aggressive behaviour that is inbred in dogs). The only way to get along with a wolf is to be a responsible leader for their pack, there's no "shortcut" to obedience or control as there is with dogs (which too many dog owners rely on, but that's a different matter). Provide them with the food, space, mental stimulation, and attention that they need (which is a lot) and they'll happily let you be a part of their pack.

Wolves also don't bond as easily with humans as dogs, and the only way for them to properly bond with you is if you have them from when they are a pup. They need to be around you pretty much all the time when they're growing up. Once they've grown up, they won't bond with anyone else, and this can also be challenging because they can easily become scared or aggressive if you have visitors or if they meet another dog in the street. This is all the more reason to make sure that they regard you as the leader, as they'll be more likely to follow your lead if you try to walk away from or break up a fight.

Wolves are also harder to train, and unless they want to do something themselves then they probably won't do it. You can't just tell a wolf to sit unless it happens to feel like sitting, even if it regards you as superior. Anything that you do train it to do has to be from young, and normally the owner's attention is focussed on training important stuff like telling it to release a hold of something in a fight. In everyday things, a wolf will pretty much do its own thing and the owner has to accept that if the wolf wants to sit in a particular place then you can't just tell it to move or pick it up and move it yourself.

Primeape

Wow thats all really interesting :)

Do you actually know anyone with a pet wolf?

Personally i dont think id be able to have a pet wolf sounds like so much work 

Tylermc
On 2017-09-25 at 11:53 AM, DebzMata08 said:

Do you have any pets? And what animal would like to have? :)

Hi debz I have too dashunds named lacy and Elsa my oldest dashund she has really bad cancer ? And a couple years ago we rescued her from a puppy mill where they over breed dogs ? there it's really sad too see but the one animal I would love too have is a St. Bernard I would name him Rooney after Wayne Rooney ?⚽️ Or if she was I would name her Abby or Harley after Harley Quinn or Maggie ??

Tylermc

What are your  favourite toys too play with your dog or cat 

my dogs love playing with a soccer ball ⚽️ and some  tennis balls ??

Primeape

@Tylermc hey Tyler :) Dashunds are so cute, im really sorry to hear your one dog has cancer :(, its nice you rescued her from a puppy mill

Ive seen a picture of a St Bernard they look really big, awesome names you chose to call one if you have one in future

Primeape
2 minutes ago, Tylermc said:

What are your  favourite toys too play with your dog or cat 

my dogs love playing with a soccer ball ⚽️ and some  tennis balls ??

My dog is old so she doesnt play with toys now :)

Tylermc

A couple years ago I saw a really cool show on animal planet it was called wild pets 101 

there was a owner of a toucan it was really cool if you  could have an exotic pet what would you have? 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.