HalfFull

A Foreign word for each letter

HalfFull

We all speak different languages in this club. So, I've had an idea so that each of us can get something out of each other.

Basically, each new post is for a new foreign word, but we'll go progressively through the alphabet. It is OK to skip a letter if you can't find a word meaning with a particular letter, e.g., Q.

If you can't find a word beginning with Z, its fine to go back to A and start again.

The word chosen should be a foreign one of a language of your choice and also translated into English. Please only post one new word at a time so others can take part. 

I also encourage, people to reply with a translation into another language. If we're a few letters along, its still fine to reply with a few translations in one go, for example, f, g, h, but please keep within one post.

OK, I'll start

Avion (French) = Aeroplane

RiRi

Bicicleta (Spanish) = Bicycle

Sad story. I just realized I can't play because I'm on post approval so I might post when someone else posts and then the posts won't make sense. I can't explain it well. 

Sorry for posting this, just wanted to express somewhere that I wanted to play, but I can't. Sounds like a fun game. I hope you guys enjoy it.

Nesf

@RiRi Your post seems to have worked - I don't think that the posts here will be as frequent as they are on some of the threads in the Games section, so I think you can post?

@HalfFull Slight problem with the alphabet idea... not all foreign languages use Latin characters. But it's ok, there are plenty of languages that do.

ciupercă (Romanian) = mushroom.

RiRi

@Nesf Okay. I will post this one and see if it works. If not then just ignore my post and carry on. :I 

I have a suggestion for the not all foreign languages using latin characters (I assume it means letters that I'm used to such as Spanish and English). How about using words that have a similar/close sound to the letter? Or similar sound to the A-Z alphabet? Would that work?

Dientes (Spanish) = Teeth.

Nesf

@RiRi That might work.

Endlich (German) = at last

RiRi

@Nesf That's good. :) Although, I hope @HalfFull is okay with the suggestion. 

Familia (Spanish) = Family.

Peridot

Geweldig (Dutch) = great/awesome

Nesf

Finsternis (German) = darkness.

HalfFull

If anyone posts the wrong letter, we'll just carry on from that letter anyway.

Geld (German) = money

RiRi

@HalfFull Okay. Sounds like a good idea. :)

Hijo (Spanish) = Son. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.